SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noahsmom

Large surcharge imposed by modular company.

Terri Wilson
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I ordered a modular home in NJ. The contract states that the price of the home can't change but upgrade prices can. The engineer I hired to design the septic system was asleep at the wheel. I couldn’t even get him to return my calls. When he finally got to designing, his designs were continually rejected by the county and he was in constant brawls with them. After 14 months I received my county stamped design. During that time I moved on to other aspects of the project…..foundation, excavating, permits etc. I was in constant contact with the modular company. They thanked me several times for keeping them updated. After I received the design, they informed me they were surcharging me for the delay. Not once had this been mentioned, otherwise I would have fired the engineer. They told me yesterday that the surcharge is $18K. That's a 52% surcharge. Does the modular company have a right to surcharge me 52%? Do I have a right to ask for a breakdown of the specific prices increases? Can I sue the engineer? I called several lawyers and got no straight answers and none were interested in taking the case because the amount wasn't worth their while. Ironically, I couldn't get a hold of the modular company for the first 4 months after signing the contract, so 4 months is actually on them. They have over $25,000 in deposits from me, so backing out would be too costly. And before I get reprimanded for not firing the engineer, I was not familiar with septic design so I had no idea what was to be expected. I also live by the belief that most things happen for a reason and I had confidence that the delay had purpose.

Comment (1)