SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Input Needed for designing a built-in office (lots of pics)

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

At long last we are completing the final stage of our remodel (over one year later). And from a functional perspective one of the most important. You've all seen much of my house, but not where I spend much of my day--my home office. We carved out an alcove off of our master bedroom and adjacent to our master bath for what I'd call a master suite. There is no door and you reach it via a short hallway from the bedroom, thus the decor needs to blend in with the rest of the master suite, be highly functional at the same time not look like the mess it usually is.

The room is a odd shape due to the bay window bump out and step down floor--neat architectural features at the time, yet they now pose their own set of complications with designing an efficient office space. We met with three designers this week who have each given me little suggestions to tweak my overall plan and I need to make some basic decisions in the next few days so I can have them on quote on more of less similar layouts.

First, here it the space:

North side:

East side:

South side:

West side:

Step (door to right leads to masterbath):

Here is a design that I am working on:

This is a pic of the tall cabinet for the east wall:

Plan is to put plugmold in the back of the upper cab and make a charging station in one of the shelves for all the cameras, phones, etc.

Here are a few outstanding key issues/decisions:

1. desk width: do we do standard 24"D cabinets for 25"D desk areas or do reduced depth of 20"D cabinets and 21"D desk top. Pro: more space to move around and more breathing room between DH and my desks. Cons: less storage

2. cabinet color: do I try to match the woodwork in my bedroom and bath which are dark cherry/alder respectively or do white. Two companies' african walnut is a good match, but more $$; more to the point as one designer mentioned today, a white office would make the space feel more open, less cramped. It is small, but there is lots of light. If we did white, I'd do a dark countertop. Here are pics of the two looks:

African Walnut Office:

White Office:

You've probably seen my bedroom, but here is a pic of my master bath vanity:

3. Another area I'm not quite sure about is what to do with the west wall. I plan to put the printer of that counter, though ideally would be nice to round off/taper the end. Would also like to put an upper cab. with a paper tray, at the same time do not want to block the windows. For that end cab, I'm debating between a CPU pull-out (can always put trash there should I switch over to a laptap) or a bookcase opening out to the side facing the steps.

If you've read this far, I am amazed. I'd dearly love any and all input. Tomorrow I plan to visit the top two contenders showrooms to fine tune the layout. At this point, I think the most pressing decision is the desk width. With the flat screen computers and DH uses a laptop perhaps the slimer 20" would be better so we do not feel too cramped in this space, yet perhaps I'll wish I had that 4" extra storage.

Comments (14)