SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
battyjac

Buying land, questions

battyjac
11 years ago

We found some land we like and are probably going to put an offer on it. There are a couple issues with it we are trying to get resolved before we do that. One, the county has a rule about putting a well and septic on less than 2 acres. It can be grandfathered if it was platted out before 1999. I think it was but I want to know for sure. My realtor is trying to track it down with me. The other realtor "is sure there will be no problem" and got me the number to call to find out. I just get voicemail with no call back. The land is exactly one acre. My realtor is also asking about connecting to the city water. The lot is one pasture away from the city limits, it's in an ETJ.

The other is that it is off a county road with a gravel drive. The drive goes to 5 lots, the one we want is in the middle. There is an easement through those 5 lots. I want to know who is responsible for the drive before the 5 lots and then the drive through each lot. The other realtor said the county is but I'm wondering if that is just the county road part. My husband is concerned about the drive in the rain.

If anyone knows anything about the above, it would be great.

My actual questions are:

We need to build 20% equity in the land. Well, you know I'm sure. 20% of the home plus land. They said sweat equity counts. What types of things can we do to improve the equity without spending a lot of money and without messing up the home site?

The land supposedly has phone and electricity. The surrounding lots have homes on them. I'm not too concerned about the phone. We don't use a landline now for anything but dsl. But I would like to use electricity on the land for things like power equipment for that sweat equity. I've been trying to google but can't figure out how I would go about getting just an electric box on the property. Is that even done?

This is all new to us. We are living in the first house we ever bought but we are rapidly outgrowing it (4 kids and often end up taking in family members). I'm tired of HOAs. We want a 5 bedroom one-story house on land with no HOA so we think building is our best bet. Our realtor agrees. Our friends think we are nuts.

Comments (21)