SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melnnoa

Second story floor plan recommendations

melnnoa
4 days ago

Here is our proposed floor plan for a second story addition. We are happy with the bedrooms and smaller bathrooms, but I still feel there is a better option for the primary suite, I just can't figure out what it is. Any constructive recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments (27)

• mcarroll16
    4 days ago

It looks like a great design, although I'm sure there are talented people here who can improve it. I'm just commenting to say you have the first Jack and Jill bath design I've seen that is actually a good idea.

• bpath
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

The first thing to do is remove the apostrophe from the ”Hers” closet.

Why should the parents be the only ones with access to the gym? How old are the users of the other bedrooms?

Why a jack-.and-jill?

The toilet room inside the bath and shower room, what does one have to do with the other? And, I imagine the toilet is used more often than the shower and tub, perhaps move it closer?

What are your goals and intentions for the addition?

• Related Discussions

Review our second story plan

Q

Comments (15)
    My first thought was that having two girls share a room that is smaller than their ONE brother's room is going to lead to jealousy issues six to ten years down the road. Plus, I agree that once the girls hit puberty, they are not going to like having bunk beds both because they don't provide any room for friends to sit down and because I rather doubt that any young lady at that "time of the month" is going to want to have to climb up into a bunk bed! It also looks to me like quite a bit of your overall upstairs space is taken up with hallways so I got to wondering if there wasn't some way to take back some of the hallway so as to enlarge the girls' bedroom enough to hold two single beds when the time comes to unbunk them. I played around a little bit with my paint program using the same footprint you started with and NOT moving the stair-case because that would affect everything on the lower level as well. The only way I could think to do it was to get rid of the single bathroom for the three kids and replace it with two 5' x 7' full baths... one opening off of each of the two bedrooms. I know 5x7 is pretty small but it WILL work. I currently have two back-to-back bathrooms exactly this size! Of course, you have to use standard 5 foot tubs rather than the 6 foot long tubs that it appears you have shown but 5 ft alcove tubs are cheaper anyway and the kids are unlikely to complain! BTW, in place of a linen closet in the bathroom, we have a 9 inch deep cabinet over each commode which, along with the cabinet under the sink provides plenty of room for extra towels, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, etc. Having the bathrooms open off the kids' bedrooms rather than the hallway might not work too well if you don't have a powder-room downstairs for guests to use but if that isn't an issue, having two bathrooms will prevent a whole lot of complaining and arguments down the road! Eg., your daughters won't be constantly complaining that your son is a slob in the bathroom and your son won't be complaining that he can't get into the bathroom because the girls are taking so long primping! Although, truth to tell, I've known teenage boys that could spend hours in the bathroom and teenage girls who were the world's biggest slobs. LOL! To get the girls' room large enough to hold two beds plus two desks, I had to borrow a little bit of room from the shower area so was forced to re-sketch the master bathroom area as well. But, believe it or not, with a bit of rearranging, I think I was able to fit everything you had back in while also making your master bedroom significantly larger! Anyway, here is the sketch. I couldn't put in the exact dimensions because I'm not using a CAD program - just "Paint" to sketch over the top of what you had before. But overall footprint is exactly the same as your original so it ought to be easy enough for you to figure out. If I don't have the two bathrooms quite 5X7 then just steal a little more room from the closets.
    ...See More

Adding up a second story and can't decide on first floor layout

Q

Comments (7)
    I like it. I don't think the dining room is too far away. It is only steps through the living room. I like a pretty, formal dining room. This plan gives you the separation for a formal dining room along with the openness of the living room to the kitchen that you want. Consider a seating island in the kitchen for casual eating. With regard to the doors that bother you, it looks like you could put a hallway wall between the living room and bathroom/bedroom that will separate those rooms from the living room. It will close off the dining room a little. It's a trade off.
    ...See More

Add Second Story to Floor Plan

Q

Comments (14)
    If your plan was to have more bedrooms and baths in basement, I don’t see why that cannot be done on a second floor.. That is very common use for second floors, but of course I have also never seen a basement here (which are very common where I live) designed for “smelly things” as they usually include a family room or den, bedrooms, and a bath as well and are part of the overall living space. If you don’t need 3700 sq feet (that would be too much for me, too) then you definitely don’t need to build over entire second floor. An asymmetrical design can work aesthetically and functionally but you need to work with your architect to get it to look and feel purposeful and not like an “add on”. I do agree you are likely going to need to “start over” though - it does not mean you need to lose all the elements you like about current plan, just need to start over to properly integrate them.
    ...See More

Two Story Great Room - Closed off Second Floor?

Q

Comments (16)
    Jennifer K - We're looking at an A-Frame which typically has the two story of windows, although it's a vaulted ceiling and not totally opened to other space above. We like the modern A frame for our lot which is in the forest in a country setting. I guess we could always keep the A frame style in the exterior but not inside? That may be odd though. We're meeting our architecture/design team on Monday, but we wanted to have a good idea of our wants and needs so that we communicate them well. chispa - We do use a baby monitor. we don't necessarily need to hear what they do upstairs, I'm just more worried about how loud the main floor is for them when they're trying to sleep and we're down there. I've searched the forum which is what lead me here. Most of the posts mention two story rooms opened to the second floor, but I hadn't been able to find lots about two story rooms which were closed off to the second floor.
    ...See More
  • Design Fan
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Consider moving the double doors into the primary suite closer towards the his/hers closets so the gym exits into the main hallway and is more accessible to everyone.

The 300 square foot storage area has 3 exterior walls (does it have good views?) and seems more private than bedroom 4. Have you considered reconfiguring that end for bedrooms 4/5/bathroom and moving the storage area to where bedroom 4 is?

If you can widen the his/hers closet area by at least 1-2 feet and center the door, you would be able to have usable closet space running down both long walls.

• lharpie
    4 days ago

Gosh i don’t even have an ensuite bathroom and my toilet is closer than that and involves fewer doors! i would not want my bedroom wall to share wall with kid room with nothing in between, so i would look at swapping bedroom and bathroom in suite. i don’t understand double doors - decreases privacy and sounds annoying. i don’t care for j&j or a seperate toilet room, especially in small baths and when this is a 4+ bath house. there’s never going to be a bathroom shortage here! but i understand this set up is popular.

• rosiembog
    4 days ago

If you are intending to age in this house,you may wish to rethink the long trek from primary

bedroom to the toilet.Being stricken in the night and then having to thread your way around corners and obstacles before attaining comfort seating may encourage you to consider less distance when allocating bathroom fixtures.

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    4 days ago

This is intended to be an inter-generational home. I have four children, two girls, two boys and the pairs will be sharing a bathroom. The oldest is 22 and moving back home after college and the youngest is 14. I don't know when this will be finalized, but I want to have space for all my children to stay at my home even after they have their own families. Downstairs, is another primary suite where my parents will be living when they are in the area for about three to four months during the year. Also a small, ensuite guest room and a very tiny powder room.

The J and J is requested by the girls, who don't want to have to be fully dressed to go use the bathroom in the middle of the night. The storage area is over the garage which here makes it less ideal as bedroom space.

@lharpie There is a double wall between the primary and the other bedroom since we could not prevent being next to at least one bedroom. We might put a reach in closet or bookshelves along that wall as well.

@rosiembog I agree that the primary bathroom is not set up the best it can be, but I am having trouble finding a better set up. My parents bedroom is directly below where the bathroom is. I do not want my bedroom directly above theirs, and they do not want the gym above their room because I tend to use it very early in the morning.

@Design Fan The gym is set up for privacy so that my husband and I can use it without having to be dressed appropriately for non-family members. If someone wants to use the gym, they can come and use it, but right now my husband and I are the only family members that utilize it on a regular basis.

@bpath the hall bathrooms are set us as requested by my children. The girls would like direct access to the bathroom space and the boys would rather no one have access to their rooms from the bathroom. Since I know there will be multiple people using the bathrooms at the same time to get ready I wanted the undressed areas to have privacy from the vanity space.

As I mentioned initially, I am not fully happy with primary suite space. I don't like our bedroom doors open into view of the vanity. Any suggestions on how to set up the area differently are appreciated. I would like someone to be able to be using the vanity/bathroom area without disturbing someone that is asleep in the bedroom. While in an ideal world, that might only be my husband and I, having four kids I never really know who is going to be where.

• BPMBA
    3 days ago

What sort of gym equipment is going in that small space? It seems way too tiny, unless it's just a cardio machine of some kind and a couple of mats and DBs. Also, if it's a treadmill, the sound of running feet is going to echo through the whole house, so you'll need full sound dampening in walls and floor. And you might need extra structural support. I'd still move the doorway to the other side of that wall for better access. And for all shared walls, DEFINITELY add sound dampening materials!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Coordinate the second floor plan with the first floor plan and the site.

• onthebrinck
    3 days ago

Many great ideas already. Personally, I'd locate the vanity along the left hand wall of the primary bath room by 'stealing' a few inches out of every room only the entire edge (ie., closet, gym, etc.). That way I'd recapture all of the vanity space into the main bedroom. And yes, I'd swap the toilet for the tub.

• res2architect
    3 days ago

Possibly flip the master tub/shower/toilet to shorten the path from bed to toilet.

• wsea
    3 days ago

JnJ never work, consider a private hall between the rooms with a single door to the bath. really bad mock up attached. obviously the vanity would need to be relocated.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 days ago

Did a professional come up with this plan? A second story is heavily dependent on the first, unless you have millions to invest.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 days ago

A concept that isolates the master bedroom and the opportunity for three walls to have windows providing more natural light and ventilation.

Master bedroom suite does not justify double doors.

• D M PNW
    3 days ago

Are the girls going to be happy with that J&J bath when they share it with the sister's spouse?

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    3 days ago

@D M PNW we discussed it and they seem to think it will be fine. Will just need a lock of some sort on both sides of the entry doors.

• anj_p
    3 days ago

Why not give the girls their own ensuites (WIC space is nearly big enough for this) and then a sizeable reach-in closet between each bedroom, and between master & BR 2? Walk in closets that size do not give you significantly more hanging space than a reach in but take up way more space (you currently have about 10' of hanging space, but 2' of that is not accessible as it's in a corner. A standard 8' reach in gives you the same but you get 16 SF more space in the bedroom.

If you keep the J&J, do one sink and two drawer stacks so your girls each have their own storage. A sink is used for a short period of time but storage is always needed.

Your criteria for being not fully dressed and walking around upstairs in the family wing of the house is interesting to me. Why are you concerned that you will be working out (in the early morning) and people who are not related to you are going to be waiting in the hall and see you in...workout clothes? Is that not appropriate? And what do your girls wear to bed that makes them uncomfortable with the idea of walking 2 steps out of their room in the MOTN to go to the bathroom when presumably everyone else is sleeping?

What is the issue with having your bedroom over the main floor bedroom? Why is the bedroom over the garage not ideal?

I think you would be able to have a better layout if you reconsidered some of your restrictions. Otherwise, try this closet/bathroom layout. Highlight is closet space. Configure how you want.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 days ago

Eliminate the jack and jill bathroom until both your daughters are able to discuss it with their sister's spouse. Bathrooms with more than one entry door are rarely a good idea for multiple reasons.

• mcarroll16
    3 days ago

Agreed. I assumed the doors to the vanity area would be unlocked, with a lockable entry to the toilet/shower area. If you have locking entrances on each side of the vanity area, it's just a normal Jack and Jill, and it will drive everyone crazy.

• PRO
    Minardi
    3 days ago

Spend the 1M and a year in rental on a completely different house that fits your needs. A second floor main suite never works for an aging in place multi generational home.

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    3 days ago

@Minardi 1M is what this second story is going to cost. The starting price of a house here is 2M and I can't buy that and tear it down to build something else. It is probably 3 or 4M to find a house in the area that even comes close to what we are looking for, and even that would still need work. There is a first floor main suite as well that we would eventually move in to as needed.

• k8cd
    3 days ago

For your girls, I would considering giving them each their own bathroom - there is space for it. But your future DILs would probably appreciate a private bathroom as well....

The vanity area in the primary seems like wasted space. But there is also a lack of storage in the bathroom. And the closet could be a lot better configured. I like the layout that @anj_p came up with - separate closets seems more appropriate for this size primary. I would explore that idea more.

I would also make it so that the door to the primary suite could easily be moved so that the door to the gym is in the hall instead. The gym could be made into another bedroom/office/study/craft room if ever needed (and the gym could move to the storage above the garage).

When you have grandkids, make the storage space into a game room with built in bunk beds for them. Or after moving downstairs, make the gym into a bunk room.

• 3onthetree
    3 days ago

I would consider this a "first stab" at just solving an equation for your program requirements (add full 2nd floor for a Master+4 beds, gym + storage). Don't expect the layout to look the same after making necessary decisions refining your requirements, estimating costs, and developing the exterior elevations, roof, and MEP.

Those things will greatly affect the layout and first floor and may not have been confronted fully yet. I see a couple 1st floor spots that might need large beams, even if you use open web floor trusses for long spans. Your HVAC will now be in the 2nd floor attic, which has to come down through the 2nd floor and into the 1st floor ceiling (open web trusses are not magic in making ducts disappear) which may have some conflicts with a clean ceiling. Your plumbing will have to tear up your 1st floor slab/walls in many rooms because the 2nd floor bathrooms are separated at far ends of the house. You now have 7 bedrooms + office, but the same tiny Family Room downstairs. The Master Ensuite is disjointed. A little leeway (the "refinement") in some of the atypical living (e.g. the J&J and the Master-adjacent gym as necessities, avoiding living space over the garage or stacked bedrooms) might lend to more opportunities for a much better overall layout.

And I would like to put this in the back of your mind in evaluating this concept of adding a full 2nd story, which will probably be very near the cost of theoretically building a mid-grade stand-alone house next door. In my experience, most people undertaking such a transformative project would expect the final product to be greatly improved in lifestyle, amenties, and aesthetics over the original. However, this addition appears very, well, meh. Your program requirements are squeezed to the max and chained to the existing footprint. Other than a new gym and soaking tub, there isn't much beyond to match the effort. Flat vertical planes of 2 story exterior walls. No rec/media area for all the families. No enticement of a Master Ensuite, like say a balcony or sitting area taking advantage of a view. No grand entrance. Still an appliance-only Laundry stuffed into the Mudroom. Still that small Family Room.

• Mrs Pete
    3 days ago

I'm just commenting to say you have the first Jack and Jill bath design I've seen that is actually a good idea.

I'm in the minority on this board in that I actually like a J&J -- when it's done well, and this one is. This one makes sense because it allows you to have a linen closet in the hallway that otherwise wouldn't be possible.

I would downsize the sink to a single + a bank of drawers for each child. Storage is much more useful than duplicate sinks.

The negative of this J&J is that it has zero natural light. Could it be flip-flopped so the sink area could have light?

On the other hand, the divided bath to the back of the house isn't great. One small vanity with essentially no storage and a divider to clean around.

In all bathrooms ask yourself, Where are the wet towels going to hang? Where will the hamper and trash can be placed?

The first thing to do is remove the apostrophe from the ”Hers” closet.

Yes, please.

And, I imagine the toilet is used more often than the shower and tub, perhaps move it closer?

You're speaking of the master bathroom? Yes, the toilet is poorly placed. First, why bother with a door, when it's all the way on the other side of -- well, everything. And if you're going to burden yourself with a door, why not bring it straight out from the shower instead of creating a stall like they have in a retail store?

What are your goals and intentions for the addition?

Good question.

The 300 square foot storage area has 3 exterior walls (does it have good views?) and seems more private than bedroom 4.

Good question.

Gosh i don’t even have an ensuite bathroom and my toilet is closer than that and involves fewer doors!

Yes, the master toilet is poorly placed.

The gym is set up for privacy so that my husband and I can use it without having to be dressed appropriately for non-family members. If someone wants to use the gym, they can come and use it, but right now my husband and I are the only family members that utilize it on a regular basis.

As time goes on, the children may want to use it. I suggest you add a second door to the gym, which can be accessed from the hallway. Put a lock on that door so that when you want it to be private, it's your own space. Consider that second door a step towards "future-proof".

Note, too, that the gym door's hinge would be better flip-flopped and the door's "parking space" should be against the right-side wall.
    As I mentioned initially, I am not fully happy with primary suite space.

Thoughts about the master suite:

- People put these double doors in thinking they'll be fancy in a ta-da! type of way, but -- in reality -- they look silly. They don't match the rest of the doors in the hall. They create a problem with lightswitch placement.

- You could turn the vanity and place the bathroom entrance in the bedroom. That comes with pros and cons, of course.

- I'd move the bed to the bottom wall (front of the house) instead of on the side. This'd allow for a better traffic flow: each sleeper could enter the bedroom and walk straight to his or her side of the bed -- the sleeper on the left wouldn't have to walk all the way around the bed.

- On that topic, consider moving the master suite to the left side of the house. This'll allow you to have the bedroom nearest the top of the stairs. That's better, especially as you age, than walking past empty bedrooms to reach your own.

- You have a lot of empty, wasted space in the bedroom. Why?

A second floor main suite never works for an aging in place multi generational home.

Agree, though -- in theory -- the OP could move back downstairs into the grandparents' space at some point. Have the grandparents actually expressed an interest in moving in?

But your future DILs would probably appreciate a private bathroom as well....

They well might ... but does that mean the OP should build a private bathroom for these future spouses to use occasionally when they visit? I really think the project is over-blown, given the "children's" ages. I'd build less space for the children to live in as adult ... and use the money instead to take the whole family on great vacations every couple years.

Are the girls going to be happy with that J&J bath when they share it with the sister's spouse?

The adult children + spouses won't be home at the same time often. It's not likely to be a problem.

Why not give the girls their own ensuites

Just because something will fit doesn't make it a good idea.

Extra bathrooms require more money to build, more cleaning, and they will develop leaks and need maintenance over the years.

Your criteria for being not fully dressed and walking around upstairs ... and see you in...workout clothes ... what do your girls wear to bed ...

I agree that the OP is considerably more concerned than I am over privacy in the home. Perhaps it'd be smart to skip these upstairs bedrooms and instead consider a couple small "bedroom cabins" out behind the house, which could give the adult children complete privacy?

1M is what this second story is going to cost.

I understand your goal is to provide a private room for each child and bathroom between each two rooms ... but this is a lot to spend, considering that the youngest child will probably have chosen a college by the time the project is finished. I suspect all four bedrooms will rarely be used at the same time.

And while you're thinking of your children (and, to a lesser extent, their future spouses), I don't see any consideration of grandchildren, who will likely stay overnight with you more often than their parents.

Number of times I've slept at my mother's house since I married 34 years ago: ONE. And that was to help her after a surgery.

Number of times my children stayed at Grandma's house: CAN'T COUNT.

If I were in your shoes, I'd build two nice bedrooms appropriate for adult children + their spouse ... and assign them to the youngest children, who will be in the house longer. Then build two bunk rooms ... one for granddaughters, one for grandsons. Finish the project with two hall bathrooms to serve the upstairs.

However, this addition appears very, well, meh.

Yeah.

Other thoughts:

- I'd rather have my primary bedroom at the top of the stairs ... fewer steps for me, especially as I grow older. You don't want to walk past those empty bedrooms to reach your own space.

- With all these bedrooms upstairs, I'd like to see a laundry room upstairs.

- I don't see any consideration for a return air in the upstairs hallway. With this much space, you'll definitely need a separate HVAC.

- I'd move the girls' doors so they create a flat wall in the hallway. Let the little indent hallways exist in the rooms.

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    3 days ago

@3onthetree I appreciate your comments, and understand your disappointment in the small family room. I originally wanted the area over the garage to be a playroom type space, but that became cost prohibitive and there isn't enough storage in the house. We currently have a pull down attic staircase and I don't want to continue using one of those as we get older. Building a full staircase for a third story attic seemed to close in the second story too much and was a large cost of another banister. I'm not sure how to make an open feeling with another staircase to the third floor. In addition, we live in basically tract housing in Southern California, the houses are built of plywood and stucco and have horrible insulation. A bedroom over a garage is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

We cannot expand on the footprint, the city won't allow us to take up more space of our lot. While it would be really nice to have a large space for everyone to fit and watch a movie together, that requires a large room for all 8+ of us and doesn't happen very often. We would be able to make it work in the family room space that is allotted right now though it wouldn't be the most comfortable for everyone. We find more often everyone is watching their own thing on a small device in random spaces around the house.

The bigger argument in my family right now is where to put all the Lego's and it seems that the small area between bedroom 3 and bath 3 is going to become a land mine. We have already done some cost estimates which is why I am trying to limit the number of bathrooms. These aren't ideal situations, but they are all much better than what we have now and there are no more adjustments we can make to our current house. The fact that my parents have a 2200 sq ft house that they are only in 3 months out of the year is why we are trying to wedge my families' needs onto an existing layout that my parents don't want to change. There also is not enough space in my home for them to sell their house and stay with us instead. The costs here are ridiculous. Building is going to cost way too much, but buying another home would cost almost twice as much. The housing costs are really non-sensical and we have outgrown the space we are currently in.

I really want some help figuring out the primary suite. The kids are happy with their bedroom set up, my parents are happy with the downstairs set up, but I feel like the primary suite is wasting too much space yet I'm not sure how to make it better. We have already asked to make two entrances to the gym, one from the hall and one from our room. I dont' want to walk through a closet to go to the bathroom and I don't want to walk through a bathroom to go to the closet. We currently have our sinks separate from our toilet/shower and it works out well for us, especially since the kids come in all the time to ask questions or grab things from the cabinets. Thinking it over, we are pretty happy with our bathroom in our current room, its just a bit too small, so maybe I just need to redo it with larger dimensions.

We will probably make the windows in the main room bigger, but we currently have a balcony and find it is only useful for cleaning the gutters. We have nice paths and parks behind the house, but can also see into seven other houses and yards. I was hoping in the bedroom space there might be room for a sitting area or desk.

• anj_p
    3 days ago

Well, as I said below, all of your criteria are driving the layouts. It's challenging to give advice when all of the requirements are not stated initially. Maybe list them out and you will see that your wants are driving the awkwardness.

None of this was explained initially:

1. Separate room with vanities.

2. No walking through a closet to bathroom

3. No walking through bathroom to closet

4. Need a direct door from master bedroom into the gym

5. Don't want the master bedroom on top of the main level bedroom

6. Don't want to use the space above the garage for living

etc.

Your list pretty much leaves you with what you have. We don't know why you have these requirements, so it's hard to give advice. For example, the separate vanity space - why is that a requirement? What are the kids grabbing that they couldn't have in the hallway linen closet? How much time are you spending in the bathroom that you need to layout your house to accommodate kids interrupting while you are in there?

Unless you are willing to compromise on some of that for the sake of a better flow, it will be hard to find something that works better and meets your requirements.

The closet/bathroom layout I posted below is my personal favorite layout. You are not walking through hanging clothes, you are walking through a hall with doors to his/hers closets, maybe with some built in cabinetry if you need more closet space.

Charming Cape Cod Renovation · More Info

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    3 days ago

I agree with just about everything Mrs Pete says. She doesn't comment often, but when she does it is worth listening to what she says.

The OP is asking for advice about the master bedroom layout, NOT the bedroom/bathroom arrangement in the rest of the house. Everyone in her family is fine with the layout, so useful comments should be confined to the master suite. I would try and put the bathroom along the top wall, with the closet more or less where the vanity is shown now. Perhaps the gym could be enlarged somewhat as a result. A functional bathroom layout sometimes has the vanity/toilet on one wall opposite the shower/tub on the other wall. I'll leave it to someone with more time to maybe make a sketch of this.

And yes, eliminate the double doors to the bedroom and add a door to the gym from the hallway.

• res2architect
    20 hours ago

Perhaps the advent of the electric toothbrush allows sinks to be tight to a sidewall but I would not do it.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars158 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource