GF Chocolate Coconut Cake

colleenoz

I thought I’d share this recipe especially for those who have to avoid gluten in their diets- it isn’t nut free though.

I first saw Rachel Allen making this on the Food Channel here, and it did look good, so I made it up as cupcakes for part of DH’s birthday cupcake spread at work, and they were well received. Then I had book club at my place last week, so I decided to bake it as a whole cake for my supper table.

Now, we take supper seriously at book club, so I had a fair assortment- the cake, some friands, two kinds of sandwiches, sausage rolls, savoury tartlets, bar cookies and a large pan of tiramisu (I’d actually intended to make a smaller batch but I put in too many eggs so I ended up doubling the recipe). But, after filling up on the cheeseboard while we talked, then the sandwiches and hot savouries, by the time we’d had tiramisu and friands, everyone was too full to tackle the cake.

So the next morning I took the cake and some bar cookies in to work (where I’ve started a new job as a lab tech in a high school) and left them in the science staff room with a note asking people to please eat it up, take it home, whatever. At the end of the day I found two pieces left, which I gave to the staff room cleaner in thanks for her giving me a roll of paper towels for the lab (our lab cleaner is appallingly lazy and never replaces the paper towels, and there’s no use in complaining about her as it’s really hard to sack people here and she’s been shunted out of pretty well every other department in the school), and one of the teachers had written on the note:

”BEST CAKE EVER!!!!” which I thought was nice :-)

Since it’s clearly a good cake, here’s a link to the recipe. I found it quite easy to make, though my coconut crumb took more like 20 minutes to toast rather than 3-4.

Rachel Allen’s Chocolate Coconut Cake

SaveComment7Like1
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock (9b/10a)

That does look good, but for me your link shows only steps, no ingredients. What is Malibu?

Save     Thanked by colleenoz
1 Like Save     Thanked by colleenoz
chloebud

"What is Malibu?"

A brand of coconut liqueur. Directions should just say, "Add in coconut liqueur..." since lots of people might wonder.

writersblock (9b/10a)

Thank you both, tigereye and chloebud.

chloebud

writersblock, I had no idea and just assumed it was the brand of liqueur. Had to look it up!

colleenoz

That’s so weird, for Rachel Allen’s recipe not to list the ingredients. Thanks for posting the full recipe Tigereye. (Serves me right for posting in a hurry and not double checking.). But I can thoroughly recommend this cake. :-)

PS I didn’t use the Malibu :-)

Save    
annie1992

Thanks, Colleen, for the recipe, and tigereye and chloebud for the "translation". I think I'd also have to pass on the Malibu, LOL, and just rely on actual coconut...

Annie

Related Stories

Holidays Houzz Call: Show Us Your Thanksgiving Fails
On some holidays you are just thankful when it’s over
Full Story
Kitchen Design Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
Kitchen Design 12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
Housekeeping Get Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Set a Beautifully Traditional Easter Table
Hatch a plan for a classic tablescape with white and silver tableware and a sprinkling of lighthearted decorations
Full Story
My Houzz How One Couple Got a Perfectly Intimate Backyard Wedding
Vintage pieces, natural materials and close family and friends are an ideal combination for a Pittsburgh couple
Full Story
Kitchen Layouts 7 Ways to Design Your Kitchen to Help You Lose Weight
In his new book, Slim by Design, eating-behavior expert Brian Wansink shows us how to get our kitchens working better
Full Story
Your First House Modern Party Etiquette for Hosts and Guests
Learn the mannerly way to handle invitations, gifts and even mishaps for a party that's memorable for the right reasons
Full Story