What are your plans for the 4th.

functionthenlook

We are celebrating today with my gang. The township has their fireworks tonight. They have a nice community function with a band, give aways for the kids, face painting, food etc. Fireworks at the close of the evening.

SaveComment42Like
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
functionthenlook

5 Likes Save    
stacey_mb

Looks yummy, Function, and I hope you, family and friends have a wonderful celebration!

1 Like Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
Suzieque

We will be celebrating on the actual 4th. Party at our lake house, fireworks (legal) on the lake, and lots of fun.

2 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Nothing planned but picked up a couple of nice steaks and some St Louis style ribs for the smoker.

1 Like Save    
functionthenlook

Raven your having my favorite. Nothing like a medium rair steak.

Save    
ritaweeda

Firing up the grill. Smoked sockeye salmon, grilling corn on the cob, sweet potatoes, and roasted broccoli and mushrooms with lemon.

2 Likes Save    
nicole___

The housing development next to ours has their own fireworks display. We want to watch that. I purchased these short plump Vienna hot dogs for grilling. Then....we're building a paver patio. I picked up half a ton of sand today since the yard is closed on the 4th.

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

No plans, except I am still packing to move. Hope to close on July 19th, and then the dash to get everything out of here.

8 Likes Save    
bpath reads banned books too

No plans except Ribs And cole slaw. DH doesn’t like fireworks (he’s sensitive to noises) or parades (noise, crowds, heat) so I may go to my aunt’s and watch with her from her friends’ Driveway as I’ve done in the past. I’ll bring them some of our new summertime fave, sparkling French “lemonade” as “rent” :) The bottle is really cute.

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

Pizza and watching the town's fireworks show from our deck.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

Working all day. In fact I need to get in the kitchen and get some sandwiches made for it. Been out all day.

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon

No special plans. We're having steaks for dinner and I'll bake an apple pie. The homemade vanilla ice cream is already in the freezer. I'm taking it easy as I wait out the relatively mild side effects of getting the Shingrix. Later we will walk over to watch the fireworks at a nearby park.

1 Like Save    
amylou321

Working that night. So I will be sleeping all day hopefully. I will be able to see the big fireworks show the city puts on every year if I remember to go outside to watch.

My sister is still trying to convince me to come to her house to cook before I go to work. Not. Gonna. Happen.

1 Like Save    
cooper8828

Making ribs and hanging out at home. Normally we can see the fireworks from our house, but it got canceled this year. When the firefighters were moving the fireworks there was an explosion. Two were very seriously injured (burns). Some people are actually complaining that the show got canceled.

1 Like Save    
Michael

At home tonight with cheese and wine. We'll watch the Columbus Red, White & Boom TV coverage.

1 Like Save    
eld6161

Out to dinner with friends. Then we'll come back here for cake and coffee. Sometimes we go see the fireworks, but not tomorrow.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Thinking of going out to dinner. It will be interesting to see if the Blue Angels will be practicing tomorrow. Since there are several squads they can perform at several events. Our airshow is not until Saturday and Sunday but they have been practicing since about noon today. They fly right over the house. I am not going to the airshow and will be glad for quiet after they leave Monday morning.

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw

We watch the Boston Pops on our big screen, doors open we hear live fireworks on the bay but the bugs aren't worth leaving the house. No particular food traditions for just the two of us but DH does like his ice cream!!

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

We will be staying in town until Sunday. Tomorrow,I will be getting up early in order to walk over to a local church and secure my place in line so that I will be able to get one of the coveted slices of pecan pie at the church bake sale. I will also pickup a slice of cherry pie for hubby. After I get my pie, I'll walk to the local pub for a Bloody Mary (July 4th tradition).

That will be followed by a BBQ brunch and the parade. Fireworks are on Friday and a concert in the park is being held Saturday night. We will also be BBQing ribs and chicken along with making sides of potatoe salad, roasted corn on the cob, baked beans, Asian salad and sliced watermelon.

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday of the year and I am really looking forward to the festivities.

1 Like Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

No one will be watching the "great parade" tomorrow?? Sorry, don't mean to go political, but sheesh. What next? I won't be watching.

9 Likes Save    
jemdandy

No special plans - just life as usual.

None of our children will be here. I played in a chess tournament tonight and following that, we watched the Milwaukee Lake Front fireworks display on TV. In the past (many years ago), we have joined the crowd and sat on the grass downtown to participate. That doesn't appeal to us anymore. Too much hassle when there are other things to do.

Tomorrow, my wife will have a display of rock-hound material at a local park There is a kiddie parade in our town at noon. I'll walk down to that. Its only 2 blocks from my house. If I find a band performance at one of the parks, I'll drop in for a listen. There may be a couple of collector car shows. I may go to one of those.

Tomorrow I'll carry my camera most of the day looking for photo-ops.

4 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

Jemdandy, I agree. I wouldn't go downtown to see fireworks either. Too much traffic and too many nut cases.

Save    
arcy_gw

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the
Declaration of Independence?
Five signers were captured by the British as traitors,
and tortured before they died.
Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army;
another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or
hardships of the Revolutionary War.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes,
and their sacred honor.
What kind of men were they?
Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.
Eleven were merchants,
nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated,
but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the
penalty would be death if they were captured.
Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships
swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to
pay his debts, and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his
family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his
family
was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was
his reward.
Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton,
Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.
At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British
General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He
quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was
destroyed,
and Nelson died bankrupt.
Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his
wife, and she died within a few months.
John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13
children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to
waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home
to find his wife dead and his children vanished.
So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently
thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.
Remember: freedom is never free!

9 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Make lemonade, limeade, potato salad, beans, grill hot dogs and sit in our sideyard watching fireworks. This morning, he's driving an hour there and an hour back to see his aunt and I'll clean out my closet. Basically, being thankful we can do whatever we want. I grew up surrounded by military folks and know the price they and their family/friends paid/risked. On a daily basis. I think we, above others, understand how precious freedom really is.

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

Thank you for mentioning that, arcy. They play Paul Harvey reading that every year on the radio. Most people have no idea.

2 Likes Save    
happy2b…gw

Hear, hear, the gangs all here! Most have been here since Sunday except for my oldest grandson and his father who arrive today. Oldest grandson has a summer job. The grandkids alternate between swimming, biking, playground, and electronics (not much). They have a great time together and are very close. They have had a really good time playing on the lily pad which is a large foam mat. My daughters and I relax, walk, run, watch and play with the kids, cook although I do most of the cooking. We will see fireworks tonight. Happy 4th of July.

Save    
georgysmom2

Having some friends over. Made potato salad, cole slaw and baked beans to go with baby back ribs and cheeseburger sliders. Added some red white and blue M &M's to my chocolate chip cookies and will have banana splits with R.W. & B sprinkles. That's it.

Save    
vicsgirl

Staying home alone, but I'll put on TV and watch some patriotic movies on TCM, will have a couple of boiled hot dogs. For my evening, I'll watch the Macys Parade.

Save    
sjerin

Some friends will join us for dinner and fireworks. Trying to strategically plan for that as there are always great crowds. This is the first year I've ever had no inclination to put up the flag due to what trump is doing to D.C. today. Otherwise, it would be up.

Save    
happy2b…gw

sjerin, you are still an American, right? I think you should feel proud to fly the flag whether you agree with the President or not.

4 Likes Save    
Lucille

Just got back from seeing a parade and going to the local fair with son and grand daughter. Thank goodness son was there because she went on a million rides, walked everywhere, about halfway through I found a nice bench and rested for a bit. BBQ they were selling not quite as good as mine but I rather enjoyed not dealing with anything in the kitchen today. I sent them home with one of the home made cranberry bread loaves I had frozen a few days ago. The rest of the day is to relax. I love watching fireworks but for a number of years have not gone out to watch them 'in person' and indeed have not done much in the way of going places late at night at all, it is simply too exhausting.

1 Like Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

sjerin, my own feelings are the same as yours regarding the problems with our government, but you should still fly your flag. It does NOT represent (he who shall not be named). Let it fly for the birth of our nation, for whatever is good and grand about the country, and for hope for the future. We've got to have hope.

As a matter of fact, it's more important than ever that we fly the flag.

6 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Are you saying......he's not gone yet?

I think having the worst president and administration in history has sucked the patriotic enthusiasm out of a lot of people. My only hope is that this sad episode will be a poison pill for the spineless hypocrite politicians and the party who aren't fulfilling the promises made to the public and in their oaths of office.

2 Likes Save    
Augustus

Didn't have any plans since dh was out of town, but yesterday he fell and was medevaced in. He's home and doing fine, just a little bruised and sore. He offered to grill burgers tonight. So we're having burgers with the last of my tomatoes, confetti sweet corn, and rosemary roasted potatoes..

1 Like Save    
Michael

We had a small crowd on our patio this afternoon. Burgers, corn on the cob, baked beans, cocktails and beers. Nobody mentioned the politics of Washington D.C but we did talk about the pride in our local community, its diversity and inclusion revolution, accomplishing big things.

1 Like Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

Very humid evening here. I don't have anyone to go to the fireworks with, and I don't like going by myself, so I'll also stay home and attempt to see fireworks in the distance from my porch. Some years the neighbors behind shoot of fireworks, I particularly like those "screamers" that end with a big bang. However, my trees are getting thicker every year, so I see less and less of what they're shooting off down there.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Well, I managed to strain my back shifting 40# bags of potting soil, so I have spent the last two days lying on the floor with an ice pack off & on. My neighborhood holds a celebration (mostly for the kids) with a kid's parade, watermelon eating contest, food trucks, music (both from neighborhood residents) games and a bounce house. The day starts with a 5k but I had to miss it this year. I will also miss the fireworks -- will find a concert and fireworks to watch on TV; last evening I also watched the Red White and Boom fireworks from Columbus.

One personal tradition that I have is to read the Declaration of Independence and the Preamble to the Constitution again. These were features of my childhood 4th of July ceremonies, and I wish they still were everywhere.

To add to arcy_gw's post, Robert Morris, another signer, gave his fortune to the support of the Continental Army, and also died poor.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I proudly have several flags out there in the yard and gardens. I fly it to honor those who have fought for our rights, to be free and celebrating however we each choose to. Honor our military and service men and women!

We had a great day, beautiful weather for a change. And some very good BBQ!

3 Likes Save    
phoggie

Proudly celebrating our freedoms that so many have given their lives for us . Went to my daughter’s for a wonderful cook out then went to see my grandson’s new house ... then enjoyed home made ice cream. After driving back to my home, I am relaxing and watching the wonderful parade celebrating our great nation’s birth! Happy Birthday, to the best land in the world! It makes me proud seeing the streets of DC lined with flags waving, bands playing , happy faces, and cheering voices ! God bless America, land that I love!

4 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

We proudly fly multiple flags on the 4th of July to celebrate and honor the birth of this great country and the founding fathers. I for one am grateful to be born, live, work and raise my children here. Just remember if it wasn't for the sacrifice of our founding fathers you would not have the choice to proudly fly our flag or not.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Well that was a dud year for us! We didn't get to cookout (son got home too late and it was really wet. Didn't want to stand in muddy, wet grass) or see our neighborhood fireworks (low lying clouds. It was still foggy this morning until about 9AM). And I forgot the flag was out, so it got wet.

Son couldn't get home because he's not driven a lot here (he's been living in east TN) and there was a wreck before the one and only bridge from the north side of town into the area where we live. Others knew how to backtrack to the interstate and cut way east and then go south. He didn't. I spent more than an hour trying to get him a route, and he kept trying them, to get across the bridge. He did find it by happenstance, but it was a long haul.

Not our best year. Oh well. The key lime pie and peach ice cream are still being eaten and they turned out great! The limeade and cherry/lemonade were also good. I'm quite tempted to add some tequila to that limeade and have a margarita or two. Or use the overage peach puree from the ice cream to make bellinis. Tonight. He'll be out again and this time, I hope the traffic light is fixed. Doubt it. It was still out since before 6PM last night, even at 8:30AM this morning. They're working on it. Sigh

Save    
KATHY

We had a wonderful 4th around the pool all day with children and grandchildren. Shrimp boil, after those who had to work, got there. Brownies, cake and watermelon for dessert!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides 4 Key Space-Planning Considerations
Before you head full steam into a remodel or furniture update, heed this advice from the pros to put your space on the right track
Full Story
Kitchen Design 10 Reasons to Consider 4-by-4-Inch Tile
Designers are embracing the once common but recently overlooked square tile in kitchens and bathrooms
Full Story
Architecture Open Plan Not Your Thing? Try ‘Broken Plan’
This modern spin on open-plan living offers greater privacy while retaining a sense of flow
Full Story