SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Roses for the front of new house

I would love your suggestions for roses for the front of the new house . My husband has a real dislike for shrubs that are leggy or wild so I am looking for nicely rounded shrubs , that bloom very well and in the soft pink , blush , white or cream family. Maybe one darker pink but not too red pink ..

I already have in mind Olivia and ancient mariner. Iceberg is very popular and will work too .

Also one arbor in the front .. what would you chose ? Must be spectacular. But not something we can’t get past . Of course I’ll keep up on it but I can’t have something too powerful. Was also considering A clematis.

Pics to follow .. please imagine you are my designer and dream away !! I’m open to any ideas at all !!

Comments (44)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gosh I really could have done better photos . But the only thing staying is the stinking avocado tree my husband thinks will save us so much money

I do have a white bench and a birdbath going there too . Plan on curving this bed and adding a solid stone border to keep it in .

I wanted to plant either purple trumpet vine or that gorgeous blue purple plant that flowers posted on the summer thread to climb the wall here but some roses too

Sooo boring here! Help me liven it up. Even if you think of a plant that isn’t a rose that is helpful too as I can’t just have roses ! :) I have two obelisks for this area framing the window . And I have these metal plant stands for under the windows , sort of like window boxes .

Thank you for your help !!

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

You might want to look at the rose 'Little White Pet'. It forms a neat mound of small, gorgeous white roses. It stays that shape all by itself without pruning, and in my garden (where every rose gets 2-3 times larger than it is "supposed" to, it stays no taller than 2-3 feet. Mine bloom for 10 months of the year, and I never spray them, never prune them, and only feed them once a year. It is hardy to zone 6b. There are lots of pictures of it on Help Me Find Roses. Here is a pic of two of mine - both just beyond full bloom, so there are some spent blooms on the bushes - oh, it self cleans, so no need to deadhead. The front one, obviously, is growing right next to the street. The second one is in the background. One of my very favorite roses.

Jackie

• Related Discussions

moving established roses from old house to new house in the fall

Q

Comments (3)
    Traditionally, before the technology of refrigerating them was developed, most new roses were planted as bare-roots in the late fall. Transplanting roses as bare-roots is much the easiest way to do it. In your zone, there is a risk that a warm December could cause roses to grow out, freeze back, and deplete the plants or even kill some of them. However, that's the way I'd do it, as opposed to the expense and labor of potting. Just dig them with 12" roots and canes, strip all leaves, label them and bag them. Store in the shade until you can plant. They should keep well at temperatures mostly between 25 and 40 degrees Remove any growth buds that break before spring. After planting, spray the canes with dormant-strength Wilt Pruf.
    ...See More

New Home and New to Roses

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, they are shrub roses, and a lovely color! They can be lightly pruned in spring time, not sure if hedge shears or hand pruners would be better in this situation... In early spring they can be evaluated to see if they have any winter dieback, and prune to shape. If the surrounding plants crowd the roses too much, that might not be the best thing for the roses, so the surrounding plants should be monitored to see that they don't get too close to the roses. I like to use organic fertilizers to feed roses. This can be applied in spring and summer. Organic topdressings such as compost are also beneficial.
    ...See More

new house, new roses - ID's please?

Q

Comments (14)
    The third one struck me as First Kiss also. First Kiss has a glow from inside. I've heard good things about the roses for dummies book, although I've not read it. It might be helpful to have a straightforward reference at hand, with nice clear pictures.
    ...See More

new house/new rose gardener

Q

Comments (2)
    I can't tell you what they are at the moment. I think you will have to will 'til spring. If you are in zone 5 you will probably be wise to winterize the roses just in case they aren't winter hardy. Mound some dry soil over the base of the plant so that the bud union (the lumpy bit at or around soil level) is well covered by 4 to 6 inches. Then cover the mound with some mulch like pine needles, shredded leaves, wood chips, shredded bark etc. to a depth of maybe 12 inches. You can use a cage of chicken wire to hold it in. When it snows make sure they are well covered by snow even if you have to shovel a bit on yourself. Then sit back and wait until spring. In about April or whenever things start to warm up, start slowly uncovering the bush. Scrape off the mulch and over about a week or two gently wash the soil from around the canes. Trim off any dead wood and away you go !!
    ...See More
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you jeri , that size sounds perfect!!! It’s definitely going to be hard to adjust to roses getting so large !! Is it frangrant too ?

Heres better pics from the listing

• jerijen
    4 years ago

One thing I would strongly urge you to do before planting is to test the pH of your soil and water. It would be disappointing to find that you've selected things that can't tolerate your conditions.

Polyanthas, for instance, ('Little White Pet' and others of that whole family) are strongly related to the Multifloras, and so share their intolerance for highly-alkaline conditions. But in a neutral-to-acid environment, they could be just the sort of mounding plant you want.

Iceberg is so good in Southern California it's become almost a cliche. But it really is that good. Just DO NOT prune it hard. It may be called a Floribunda, but in its genes, it's a Hybrid Musk, and wants to be left to mound at a reasonable height. Burgundy Iceberg is particularly attractive.

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

I'm too new to roses to have real suggestions but I think with the color of your house the soft pinks will look fantastic, like Olivia rose austin for sure.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch, I envy you your blank slate. You can put all that earlier experience into practice and be as creative as you want. I'm afraid my suggestions would be of no use, and I don't remember a whole lot about my roses in Calif. 20+ years ago. I mostly grew OGRs, then. I grew Dainty Bess and grow her still, but she struggles here. Angel Face did very well there.

The shrub you mentioned that I posted recently is Brunsfelsia Pauciflora - Yesterday Today and Tomorrow. It's the first thing I would try to find if I lived there again The flowers don't last long, but they are heavenly and perfume the air. That pic is my daughter's in Pasadena. She grows it because we always had one when she was little. Same reason I grow certain things - because my mother grew them.

I know you are eager and excited to get started turning your yard into a rose paradise. Keep us in on the process with before and after pics.

Hmmm, I just reread your post and I'm obviously thinking about a different plant. Blue and purple to climb the wall? On the summer thread? I'm blank. Not a clue. I hope you remember what it was because I'm no help.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Flowers , that is the plant !! I saw it at a local nursery ( looked blue and lilac to me ?!) and will go back for one ! How long is the overall bloom period?

Also I’m in love with purple trumpet vine . Like madly in love so I need that !!!

I see nothing wrong with iceberg as they do so well . It is funny to not see any knockouts here!! Seems iceberg is the knockout and the red rose I see a lot of too . I think that’s what is planted by the pool . 30 of them !

I will test the soil as the owners are fruit tree fanatics so I imagine they did some alterations for that . I hate to complain but I wish those trees weren’t there bc my husband is so into them . I cannot believe we are arguing about them ! But we are .... ugh .

Thank you pippa !! I love the cottagey look the home has . It won’t need to be a bright colorful garden like some of the other styles of homes call for . I can keep in my cottage garden style! :)

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

Also consider using some sort of fragrant jasmine in your landscaping. Jasminium sambac makes a shrub-like plant, and smells great. I can't overwinter it here, but am growing it in pots and bringing it in when it gets cold. There are lots of kinds of climbing jasmines to choose from. I'm trying a Chilean jasmine (not true jasmine) on a fence by my front door. In terms of non-rose plants, just look at Annie's -- you will get WAY TOO MANY ideas: https://www.anniesannuals.com/

Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh yes KS !!! There is a low growing one all over the place here I definitely must have. Gosh the fragrance is amazing! I can do a climbing one too !!

Lisa was so sweet to give me her Annie’s paper catalog .. it’s incredible!! I can’t wait to make a wish list . It’s so hard not having much space and having big dreams .

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Maybe Bolero, for a nice shrubby white rose? And, this might be more of a long term plan, but based on the realtor pic you shared of the front of the house it would be fun to move the walkway farther away from the front window, so that you could expand the depth of the flower bed there. But, understand that hardscaping changes may not be in the cards at the moment!

Also, looks like relatively new construction, so the soil may need further amending - creating raised beds might also help with that (in case when you start to dig, you hit packed builders dirt).

Edited to add that I would have recommended Desdemona, but I'm not sure whether or not it can take the heat....

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    4 years ago

It is going to get hot where you live. Ralph Moore (who bred Renae) lived in a place that gets hotter than where you live now. Renae would work as your climbing pink rose that won't attack folks walking up your driveway.

That purple vine you are thinking of may be a wisteria. Warning! They are house eaters here! You would need to have it on a VERY sturdy structure and keep it pruned. Also, I would only buy one when they are in bloom (which unfortunately you missed by a couple of months) so you make sure you are getting a blooming one. Some of the Wisteria plants folks sell end up not blooming for those who buy them.

If you are thinking of the large purple tree that blooms in the summer, it could be a Jacaranda. I would not put it near your pool as they can get messy. There are several varieties of crape myrtles that come in various colors that will give you color all summer long and have interesting bark in the winter. There are also several varieties of California Lilac's or Ceanothus that are drought tolerant and you could have several that would have different blooming cycles to keep the flowers coming. Las Palitas nursery (not too far from you) has several along with other native and drought tolerant plants that would attract lots of hummingbirds that your sweet babies would enjoy watching.

Instead of Icebergs, may local nurseries here recommend Icecap. Folks that have them, love them. They take the heat well and bloom constantly. Most of the DA roses will need afternoon shade. Darcy B does well here as does Mary Magdalene, Munstead Wood, Princess A of K, Pretty Jessica (if you can find her). You may need to feed them occasionally with some acid fertilizer every once in a while if your soil is very alkaline and your water is also alkaline.

As far as citrus trees, you can grow them in pots here (easier to cover during a frosty period) and they will produce fruit on dwarf or semi dwarf root stock (flying dragon is mostly used now). Perhaps a compromise with your husband on the fruit trees if they were grown in pots.

You could also have a conversation with Burling from Burlington Nursery to see what roses she might recommend for your area. She is a great resource.

• Matthew Gandin
    4 years ago

Sally Holmes would look great on the arbor and is in that blush white/light pink color range.

• totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

I would create a row of tall trees/shrubs to block out the view of the left neighbor's house. Like a row of Hollywood juniper or silver birch trees (not sure if they are appropriate for your climate). I would also enlarge the bed where the bench is by pushing the front edge forward past the path from the driveway and enclose the bed from the front and side facing the long wall of the house with high hedge of roses for more privacy and to block out the view of the street. Set the hedge back far enough to the left so as to not block the view of the column by the front door from the street. The enclosed secret garden would have with additional planting beds inside, perhaps in the four corners creating a cross shape. Then put your water feature like a small fountain in the center of this cross. You could use the arbor to create an opening in this high hedge centered on the fountain and place the bench inside the enclosed area facing away from your neighbor house centered behind the fountain along the Hollywood juniper or the birches. This way there is some mystery and surprise because you hear water as you approach the house but do not see it until you reach the arbor.

I would put trellises along the wall leading up to the front door and cover it with climbing roses and clematis. Maybe plant salvia or russian sage all along the feet of the roses and have them wrap around to the bed in front of the house. Or lavender if not close to roses. Instead of obelisks flanking that front window consider two narrow Italian Cypress instead. Also climbers to wrap around the main column by the front door.

I also dislike seeing the path from the street and would plant a lower hedge of roses all along the the front of the path from the driveway so it meets flush with the front of the taller rose hedge.

This is just my random ideas to address my particular landscape pet peeves.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Cyndita.. bolero is a must isn’t it !!! The fragrance is divine .. adding it to my list. I loved desdemona in tn .. and there is some shade going on from the movement of sun and the house and random birch tree . So it should do ok! I’d love to rework that sidewalk into something curved and beautiful but we are so tapped out financially that will never happen . It’s a great idea though!

Mustbenuts .. I obviously love renea .. it could be just right I think ! It would be gorgeous on an arbor here . As for the fruit trees , they are planted in the ground by the previous owners. They are of bearing size now , and they were the pride of the owners and my husband for some reason ( honestly beyond me as he never ever stepped foot in my 1.25 acres but now that I have less than 10,000 sq ft minus a pool so that’s nothing ) has decided they are the bees knees and we will cherish them. I love him to pieces but hope his interest fades ! There are avocados, cherries , pears , apples , plums and grapes and something else but no lemons which is all I would like . Also a mini mandarin orange . Ugh !!!!

https://shop.monrovia.com/lavender-trumpet-vine.html

This is the vine I love . I see it all around here and think it’s just gorgeous!’

I’ll look up that nursery as I am really enjoying the new to me places to shop !

Matthew , I need to see sally Holmes here in person !! I saw it in Tennessee and the aged blooms weren’t pretty to me so I wonder if it does better here. It’s quite stunning when it first opens !! :)

• totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

Actually scratch that about the Italian Cypress as they woild get way too tall and there is not a lot of open space next to your windows so I would just leave it blank.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked totoro z7b Md
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Lily, I saw Sally Holmes in California and it was stunning. It was so stunning that I didn't get it here because I'm not in California and it seemed too gorgeous for Oregon. I think Matthew is right, but the soil testing is a good idea.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow Totoro .. great ideas !! I hadn’t thought about making it a secret garden.. that’s totally different from how my mind was working but in a great way! I like it !! I need to look up those plants . I would like some privacy from the neighbor, but keep a welcoming look to the home as the front door is hidden sort of . I can’t wait to get back to the house and really visualize what you are describing . I would definitely love to plant on the other side of the path too as I can . For sure the bed needs extension, I thought it was off they stopped there . I’m not sure about this bed in general, it looks recently planted ( maybe not the avocado)and I’m not sure how much thought was put in . But it could be worse! We saw one home that the entire front lawn was all rocks . All of it !! Different colors laid into patterns . Really a huge turn off.

4 years ago

Re your mention of lemons above, try a dwarf meyer lemon tree in a large pot - they are super easy to grow & start bearing fruit relatively quickly. Citrus does great in SoCal!

Note: citrus wants less water than roses, so don't water it like you would water a rose :o)

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    4 years ago

How exciting, Lilyfinch!

Yes! Dwarf Meyer Lemon for sure. And I second Jeri’s suggestion of Burgundy Iceberg.

Renae will be wonderful on the arbor. But Sally Holmes can be stunning -

(Not my garden)

You must plant some salvias to draw in the hummers. Amistad and Wendy’s Wish are two great ones with tremendous flower power.

Jo

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

Jenna, a word of caution about cedars, junipers and trees with needles of any kind: they're a very bad idea for our area because they're terribly flammable and you don't want them on your property. Fruit trees, on the other hand, are very good. Crape myrtles, including the dwarf varieties, are great. Reblooming irises, in areas that don't get the hot afternoon sun, are wonderful because they bloom many months of the year and are so beautiful with roses, and they come in many different colors. I had some in bloom in January, spring, summer, October, December. The rabbits ate all of mine but you won't have that problem. Day lilies in different colors would also be lovely. For a gorgeous smaller rose try International Herald Tribune. Lavender Mist is another lovely one.

International Herald Tribune
    Reblooming irises in the fall of 2017
    day lilies
    dwarf crape myrtle
    Lavender Mist
    Burgundy Iceberg

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

I say take out the lawn and put in more roses :) Your neighbor probably landscaped with rocks because of water rationing.
    I too was going to suggest some salvias, they are great for xeriscaping (low water gardening) but some can get really big, so be forewarned! My Amistad is about 6 feet by 4 feet, in partial shade, and my Limelight is about 8 feet. Autumn sages bloom almost year 'round, and stay around 3-4 feet, so they are a good choice.

Not to offend, but I barely consider Iceberg a rose, it is so everywhere and boring. You have such a gift for growing beautiful roses , it would be wasted on such a "vanilla" rose.
    Oh, and Jacarandas are gorgeous, but not near a house-- they spit sap that eats through car paint!!!
    Carla in Sac

4 years ago

I would not plant cypress trees as they tend to be shallow rooted, get quite tall and you will also (in addition to heat) get lots and lots of wind. When I lived down there, during a Santa Ana, several of them blew over and destroyed a building that they landed on.

Depending on the variety of avocado you have, they will get very big and they do draw rats---sorry! That may help your husband decide he doesn't want one! I have several citrus that used to be in pots and and continue to have a golden nugget mandarin (the best mandarin in my opinion). Stays small. You can easily do a Myer lemon in a pot. As was stated earlier, they tend to not like as much water as roses, once established but will probably need more watering if they are in a pot.

Also warning--Salvia's can get very big here depending on the variety so check those out before you purchase. I too have reblooming iris and day lilies mixed in with my roses in my front yard. They make great combos. I have everything on drip so I can put more emitters around my roses than my other plants. I have lantana (trailing not bush type) mixed in with my crape myrtles as they are both drought tolerant and provide lots of color during the summer and butterflies!

https://inlandvalleygardenplanner.org/ This may help you out with some plants that will do well in your area. In truth, most plants will do well in your area depending on how much you want to water. Someone mentioned ornamental grasses. My favorite has to be pink muhly grass. You cut it down once a year in the early spring and that is it for care for this beautiful ornamental. It stays small (2 feet) and it does not send seeds flying everywhere (like pampas grass). It is lovely to see it blowing in the wind and is drought tolerant. I love the pink fronds that it has that turn to a lovely beige color during the winter.

• totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

Great suggestions for plantings. What about Snow bird instead of Iceberg? Maybe on that long wall you espalier different fruit trees in between the roses.

Also even with the secret garden you still have space for more public plantings outside the hedge to put ornamental trees, rocks, etc. Just get rid of the remaining lawn which uses a lot of water to create axoublic bed all the way to the sidewalk. Maybe do some xeriscaping with stones.

If you want to be welcoming maybe create another arbor opening into the secret garden facing the street which connects to a gravel path to the sidewalk (straight or meandering) through the public bed. Then passersby glimpse the fountain as they walk by and you will also have a more direct path to your front door or back yard via the secret garden (vs the driveway) .

I know my idea is unconventional and you already have a private back yard. Whatever you decide is sure to be beautiful

• User
    4 years ago

Nice looking house and location... I hope you will all be happy there, but one thing I have learned at my cost is that, it's best to wait a while and see if you like the place, the neighbours, and just living in that community before spending large on a garden... maybe 6 months or a year even... it's a hard discipline, but it's easier to leave if things don't work out early on...

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch - In looking at your house from the street, it looks like you could expand your planting area on the left by getting rid of some of the grass. I read recently that lawn grass contributes to reducing the amount of water and good insects while adding more unhealthy chemicals to the environment. Replacing grass with shrubs was advised. I have grass in the front yard and was able get rid of some it by expanding my rose plantings to meet the cement walkway similar to your yard.

I hope you're liking your new home and climate!

Ann

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

We hired a landscape designer to do our yard last fall with drip and she put in all the companion plants, as we rose lovers like to call them :-) She added these lovely green dense shrubs that attracted Sphinx moths when in bloom last spring, which was fun. She put in these two varieties: Westringia fruticosa ‘Mundi’, Westringia fruticosa ‘Gray box’. ___ https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=3651 ____ https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=4090 ___ Mundi has a slightly weeping form and Greybox is more upright.
    I think it would tick the “green filler” and “dense” boxes perfectly for your DH. I told her that I wanted to attract butterflies, bees and birds so I am guessing that is why she choose Westringia as the greenery because of its little white flowers. We also told her not to put in anything that got tall since yard is narrow and is 18x55 feet and I didn’t want it to feel like walking down a tunnel in a few year. Plus I don’t want to be trimming all the timea plat that wants to be huge. The exception being the podocarpus hedge that will keep the neighbors from a direct view of our large master bathroom window while they stand on their back patio; their property is about 4 feet higher than ours. I live in almost same climate to you, but you will get more costal influences than me, which is better for roses when it gets triple digits! Welcome to CA Lily! Here are some pictures. You can see the bottom of my MAC rose in one.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Oh and yes, as mentioned, the salvias can get huge here, easily up to 6 feet tall for some varieties. We have ‘Love and Wishes’ with the most fabulous red burgundy color. Stays smaller too. Almost identical in color to Darcey Bussell, which is a fantastic red rose for our climate. The hummingbirds are constantly buzzing around the salvias.
    https://www.sunsetwesterngardencollection.com/the-collection/plant/love-and-wishes

4 years ago

Agree with getting rid of some of the grass! If you can't move the walkway in front of the window, maybe plant roses on both sides, so that the walkway is through the middle of the rose bed? Again, this may be more long term planning - you don't need to do everything right away!

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

You’ve gotten so many great suggestions, Lily! There‘s nothing more fun than planning a new garden as far as I’m concerned—I’m so excited for you!

The only thing I was going to mention is that you are now in a climate perfect for Chinas, and they are such pretty bushes. Oh, and I agree, less lawn is much easier with water rationing. And you can prune your avocado tree to stay small if you want it to be. Being in a warm climate now means you’ll get to decide how big you want your plants to be, instead of letting winter decide for you. We also grow fruit, so I think they coexist with roses quite nicely. I’m just mindful of thorniness, and try to put less thorny roses near the fruit so we don't get scraped up taking care of the trees.

Such fun! Keep us posted on your decisions!! :-)

4 years ago

Sorry, I thought Los Politas was near you. I thought it was in Rancho Santa Margarita. It is in Santa Margarita. Totally different part of the state but you would enjoy a trip up there. Visit Solvang, San Luis Obispo, etc.

• jerijen
    4 years ago

Ingrid mentioned 'International Herald Tribune' and I second that idea. It's a wonderful rose, which deserves to be far more widely grown than it is.

USE CAUTION IN PRUNING it! It's not a fast grower, but it is a prolific bloomer.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked jerijen
  • sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

If you are looking for a road trip, Otto's in Ventura County is mecca! I use their website all the time to look up roses:

https://www.ottoandsons-nursery.com/Roses_Floribunda.html

and for salvias Flowers By The Sea is a great site, it has a color selector so you can match your roses.

https://www.fbts.com/

And in addition to being a fire danger, cypress are garden spider magnets, you have to dust them as much as your house LOL.
    Oh Lilyfinch, you have had friends instruct you about Black Widows, right? They hide underneath in the dark, like under a cabinet in the garage. Never stick a bare hand into a blind corner, or I have found Deet kills them instantly, so I always spray my hand and arms with mosquito spray when working in the garage.
    I have never given "California" lessons to anyone before, even though I was born here, the things I take for granted!

Carla in Sac

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

I hope to be more help once I actually see the house in person. I know iceberg does absolutely wonderful here, BUT..... you really will grow bored with them. You’ve already noticed them everywhere, and I’ve seen how much they bloom. This means I’ve also seen how often they need deadheading to look good. Just one would be manageable for deadheading. Lots of them would be a full time job with how much they bloom here.

These are growing at my Tante Shirley’s house, in the backyard. Even though she has a weekly crew, sometimes I come and they are loaded with spent blooms. Very pretty when not, though.

I really recommend Bolero along with some the others have suggested. My Bolero always stays compact, and the blooms are far prettier than those of Iceberg. I know you like those petal packed soft roses, and Bolero fits the bill. It makes a wonderful cut flower, and I just may turn you into a cut flower girl yet! Lisa

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Lisa Adams
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

I do like totoro's suggestion of a secret garden with a glimpse of a fountain. I want to walk past that! Also with 6' hedging, you would be creating some afternoon shade in places.

I'm glad you're going to see how Sally Holmes looks in your area. I had it here, and the flowers were bone coloured. Not pretty!. I think it was roseseek who said it does that in warm climates.

I echo what has been said about salvias. I have had several that were thugs, spreading by rooting where they touched the ground. I had one that took over a space of 12' by 8', and was only stopped by paths and terraces. In time I am sure it would have found a way under them. 'Mystic Spires' stays in bounds though.

I love the look of that trumpet vine. I wish I had a fence for it.

I also think you could have much nicer roses than Icebergs, especially given what beautiful roses you had in your last garden. Ingrid's photos are lovely.

It sounds as though your husband is interested only in growing food - totally understandable, but hard on you!

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

Isn’t hubby real happy with all that grass, too? Oh boy! Lisa:)

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

I think you said you had a pillar, or an arch to plant roses on.... SoFl has a beautiful picture of Spirit of Freedom on one. It actually won an award at our rose show for photos... Her spirit of freedom is WONDERFUL.... hopefully she will post a pic of it. I think it also does well in your area. I know it is wonderfully fragrant. Question is that avacado a dwarf... how big does it actually get... here in Florida even the dwarfs get LARGE, but we have a different kind of avacado (not the Haas type). If you want to get a lemon tree, look into getting a dwarf pink lemonade tree. In the ground it gets about 15 feet tall, but you can put in a nice large pot and keep it smaller. So you can move it around, and the bonus is you don't have roots competing with your rose bushes. The pink lemonade tree has beautiful varigated leaves, pink and lavender flowers, and puts out lemons that are sweeter than regular lemons (not overly sweet).... great for cooking and making lemonade.... As for other suggestions of rose, I think your previous rose garden makes me unqualified in making a lot of suggestions because your roses were absolutely gorgeous.... I am sure your new rose garden will be just as well....... I am looking forward to pictures.... Sharon

• Kimberly zone 10 so cal
    4 years ago

LilyfinchLilyfinch, welcome to California :-) You've been give such wonderful advice already on this thread, I don't have much more to offer you, however here are a few things you might find useful...

The jasmine you mentioned that you are seeing everywhere right now is called Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) and you can find it just about everywhere and grow it so many different applications. For instance, you can get an entire flat of it at Home Depot for about $18, and plant the plugs to make a ground cover of sorts, or you can pick up a 5g staked jasmine for about $12-$15 at a wholesale nursery near you, and grow it on a trellis or up a fence. Its evergreen here, and once it's done with it's first flush of flowers, you can prune it back and it will send out another whole flush of wonderfully fragrant flowers. Of course there are lots of varieties of jasmine, but the one you seeing all over town is star jasmine.

You also mentioned nurseries. There are tons of nurseries around Southern California, some being retail, some wholesale (many are open to the public so use yelp to find the ones closest to you) and also growers galore here. When you feel up to exploring and driving a bit further that your city, consider checking out Roger's Gardens in Corona Del Mar, you will be in love from the moment you pull into the parking lot! And try the Plant Depot in San Juan Capistrano, its a large nursery with tons to look at and inspiration all around. One more is called Green Thumb, in San Marcos. There are of course lots of nurseries in between these, I just thought I'd mention some for when you are out exploring your surroundings :-)))

• haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch - welcome to Cali I believe your area gets really hot in the summer. Grande Dame tolerates the heat very well and very fragrant. Another one of my favorite climbing rose is High Society, it is a work horse and always pumping out blooms and tolerates the heat as well. One thing I've learned is that everything here gets big. I planted a lot of my roses to close and as a result Im having to move them so they have some space. Pretty Lady Rose is another good rose for the heat.

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.61777

https://www.jacksonandperkins.com/high-society-climbing-rose/p/v2209/

High Society at the Huntington Library

High Society at the Huntington Library

Grande Dame the deep pink and Queen of Sweden in the back the light pink

High Society in my garden on the trellis in front of that is Pink Lady Rose

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked haku84_zone9
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

haku84, what a pretty corner that is. I'd love to see photos of the rest.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

Another vote for Bolero. Little White Pet can be bulletproof and a continuous bloomer, although I have never detected any fragrance.

Do you have an H.O.A.? If so, some can be very picky regarding all sorts of things; including the lawn area homeowners have in the front yard.

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

I forgot to ask.... are you saving a place to plant zinnias.... your pictures were an inspiration.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

It is truly ridiculous how invested I am in your new yard! I loved your previous gardens so much I can’t wait to see what you pick. Of course I don’t have any recommendations cause my yard is far from Cali :)

• portlandmysteryrose
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch, congratulations on your new CA home!! Oooo, this is so exciting! How cool that you are close to Lisa.

Yes, yes, yes to Annie's Annuals (and perennials). I get the catalog but can't grow half the goodies up here in Portland.

I'll bet you can grow Kim Rupert roses to perfection down there in CA. Let's see, Lauren, Purple Buttons, Annie Laurie McDowell,.... (I do second Jeri's suggestion to check pH.)

Polyanthas like Clothilde Soupert and Marie Pavie. They are so fragrant and so sweet!

And wasn't it the floribunda Blue for You that Kim Rupert posted such gorgeous photos of?

And TEA ROSES! Duchesse de Brabant has a nice shrub form.

And Chinas! Ducher is a gorgeous ivory. Silvery pink Hermosa. They are both smaller and well-shaped.

Jasmine is a genius suggestion!

How does gardenia grow down there? Yum!

Tuberose?

And those dang California poppies that keep croacking in my wet clay!

Have fun!

Carol

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus