SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

April 2019, Week 3, Spring or Winter or Summer? Who Knows?

I think the weather settles down this week. Well, I hope it does. Our pecan trees woke up late in the week and will be flowering very soon. They always are about the last trees to break dormancy, so I'm hoping it is a good sign. However, they get caught by a late freeze about 2 years out of 10, so they aren't infallible.

Is anyone else tired of having highs in the 80s or even low 90s and lows in the 30s or low 40s? At least we got rain, and that's generally a good thing, and we didn't have hail or tornadoes last week. It would be nice if the weather would moderate a bit more and just have more April-like temperatures without the wild disparity between highs and lows. This whole year has been that way though.

I expect this is the week that those of you further north than I am finally get to put your tomato and pepper plants in the ground? If so, have fun doing it. Perhaps the risk of a late freeze or frost is pretty much gone now. Some folks in our FB groups were reporting very light snow flurries overnight, but only in the air.....not sticking on the ground.

Meanwhile, I'll be potting up leftover tomato plants in an effort to keep them happy until the rescheduled Spring Fling on the 27th.

Just about the only plants in the garden not leafing out yet are the hardy hibiscus and I think they'll leaf out this week----the Texas hibiscus leafed out rather abruptly and grew rather quickly after we had those two 89-degree days last week.

I'm hoping to sow seeds of squash, sweet corn and beans this week, though the very wet ground worries me a little. We'll see what happens.

Our lantanas woke up around Thursday or Friday, so I cut back their dead wood. They are pretty late in general too, so it is good to see them awaken.

My least favorite thing about April? The rapid growth of grass and weeds makes twice-weekly mowing mandatory. The good thing? There's lots of grass clippings and weeds for the compost pile.

Have a great week everyone, have fun planting and don't forget to keep the rest of us updated on your garden's progress.

Dawn

Comments (65)