SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

October 2019, Week 3

As we enter the third week of October, at least the weather finally feels like autumn weather. Well, except for a couple of nights that felt like December weather. Our weather just does that sort of stuff....

This week is supposed to be lovely though, so any plants that made it through the frosts, freezing and near-freezing weather should be happy. I'm thinking my weather down here in southern OK might rebound so much that it gets almost too hot this week, but as long as the weather is sunny, clear, not above 100 degrees and not below 30 degrees, I am not going to complain. Having to put on a coat to go to the grocery store early yesterday morning just felt weird, but we won't need coats for the rest of this week and probably not next week either.

I've noticed in the lawn that winter weeds have been sprouting for a couple of weeks now. Apparently the rain we had in September with those slightly cooler (at least while raining) days got the cool-season weeds off to an early start. I hope they will grow and bloom quickly so the bees have their flowers when the warm-season stuff is done.

The garden chores remain the same....plant garlic, plant cover crops, and plant a late crop of spinach or other cold-hardy greens if you dare. The stores here still have cool-season vegetable transplants for anyone who is feeling brave and daring. Remember when doing garden clean-up that it helps all the wild things if you can leave some standing plants to provide shelter and food (generally in the form of seeds). I'm still searching for any cool-season bedding plants to add to the veggie garden's southern flower border to replace zinnias and other annuals that are interplanted with the perennials. Stores here either didn't stock the cool-season transplants like pansies, violas, dianthus, snapdragons, stock, ornamental cabbage and ornamental kale at all because we were staying too hot for too long....or the ones they had in the garden centers got too hot, too dry and now look pathetic, and I refuse to buy pathetic-looking plants. I want happy, healthy plants, so I'm going out to look for some today.

If you want to have spring-blooming flowers in your garden, like poppies and larkspur, now is the time to sow those seeds. You'll get blooms weeks earlier than if you wait and sow the seeds in February or March.

New volunteer seedlings of some types of plants (notably, malva sylvestris and verbena bonariensis) are showing up in our garden now, so we can tell we'll have plenty of those next Spring as well.

While our garden was frosted and frozen, a surprising number of plants, even those tropical in nature, only suffered minor damage so we should be able to enjoy those for a while yet. The irony of having some of the coldest weather in the state (27 degrees) yesterday morning this far south does not escape me....a common phrase often uttered here in our area is "our weather is crazy here" and I bet all of you can say the same thing about your weather. One of the hardest things to adjust to when we moved here was the fact that the Red River Valley gets so cold so early some years, so we can go from summer to winter weather almost overnight, at least sporadically, in autumn. I think the tropical plants and warm-season plants did so well despite the cold partly because our ground was so warm from all the hot weather, and partly because our garden is planted with layers of plants....there's all sorts of shorter plants underneath taller plants, and the taller plants really did help protect the shorter plants from the cold weather.

Tim mowed the front pasture and bar ditch down as short as he could set the mower yesterday to pave the way for me to overseed those areas with wildflowers. Now I'll just wait a few days for all the grass clippings to settle down and start to decompose...so, maybe I'll wait a week or so....and then I'll mix my wildflower seeds with sand (to help spread out the tiny poppy seeds in particular) and spread them with the fertilizer spreader (which I do not use for fertilizer, lol).

More trees are looking autumn-like now. Some of the elms and native persimmons that began showing yellow foliage several weeks ago are dropping some of their leaves now, and the pecan tree in the front yard is dropping a lot of foliage as well. There's a lot of red foliage beginning to show along the rural fencelines, but it isn't really anything to get excited about....mostly poison ivy and sumac turning their usual shades of autumn red. The oaks still are green as if it were mid-summer, which somehow makes sense as we have stayed so warm. Their leaves will begin turning before the end of October though, and then November is the month that the leaves really fall like crazy here.

I have a lot of canning to do today and tomorrow as those roselles will not can themselves. I processed a lot of roselles yesterday, ending up with 56 cups of roselle calyces ready to boil down to make jelly, jam or syrup. I'll save the rest to use for tea. This morning, I don't even want to look at a roselle, but after we do a little bit of shopping, my plan is to make roselle jam. The nice thing about having all of them processed and ready to go is that I will be able to make a lot of jam, jelly and syrup in a fairly short time once I start because the processing is all done so all that is left is the making of the products and then canning them.

I was concerned about losing all our flowers when the cold hit, so I spent much of Friday afternoon cutting flowers and arranging bouquets so we could enjoy our flowers a little bit longer. Our house has 9 bouquets of warm-season flowers, spread over three rooms---living room, dining room and kitchen, so all the countertops and table tops look pretty awesome right now. I left plenty of flowers still growing in the garden too, and most of those survived the cold weather, so the bees and butterflies still have them as well....as do the spiders, grasshoppers and whatever other wee little critters survived the cold.

I had drained the above-ground swimming pool on Friday and Tim took it down yesterday. It now is boxed up and stored in the garage. Normally, we would have just left it up all winter, but we are moving it to a new spot next year so we took it down. The lawn probably will benefit from the 3800 gallons of water that were in the pool, but right now it is mostly a mud pit. The spot where the pool sat all summer is nice and almost bare....I can see some bermuda grass plants, but they aren't in very good shape and will be easy to dig out. That will get me off to a good start on re-doing that part of the landscape next Spring. I want to put down black plastic now or at least soon over other areas we'll be redoing next spring and let them help kill off the grass over the winter there as well. Mr. Lawn Mowing Husband might not like that plan, but it isn't like he mows all winter anyway.

That's about all I can think of as we start this week. When raking leaves, y'all remember to watch for copperheads. It is scary how well they blend in with leaves. This is one reason we prefer to mow over our leaves in the yard and pick them up with the grass catcher---it is safer for us to do it that way.

Have a great week everyone and enjoy the warm weather.

Dawn

Comments (35)