SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

April 2019, Week 1, The Warm-Up Is Coming

While we are suffering through the freezing nights brought back to us by the latest cold front, April is going to come rolling in, and will be bringing some warmer weather. Here's the 6-10 day temperature outlook and it shows above-average temperatures:

CPC's 6-10 Day Outlook

I'd like to think we'll be happier with April's weather than we have been with March's, but our weather is so erratic that there's just no way we can be sure about that.

Even the warm-season trees like the mimosa and the Pride of Barbados (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) are leafing out, so it certainly feels like Spring here, notwithstanding the fact that almost all of us will see freezing temperatures tonight. I'd like to think this cold weekend is the last gasp of winter weather and that Mother Nature is just playing a mean April Fool's trick on us with this cold.

The garden chores I hope to focus on this coming week include weeding the garden (it isn't too bad---the heavy mulch makes a huge difference), planting bean, corn and squash seeds, perhaps planting a few more tomato plants, mowing, mulching, and digging up and transplanting a lot of cannas that have spread too far and are encroaching on the garden entryway and main path. I'm still contemplating finding a way to get rid of the asparagus plants....if only they weren't grown into a solid mass of crazy roots fairly deep beneath the soil surface. It might be easier to just pour concrete over them.....

I might find time to dig out the bermuda grass and Johnson grass that perpetually attempt to come in through the fence and encroach on the eastern edge of the garden. I also need to start some warm-season flowers in flats. That might be what I'll do on Monday. I've been putting it off because the tomato plants have been hogging the light shelves, but now that the weather is warmer (or about to be warmer), they can stay in the greenhouse after this current cold spell ends and I can use the light shelves indoors to start more seeds. As soon as the warm-season seeds germinate, though, I'll move the seedlings out to the greenhouse.

I hope to spend part of Sunday doing some plant shopping. I keep trying to go plant shopping, but then either it is raining or the wind is blowing 99 mph (slight exaggeration) or something and we ditch the idea of plant shopping until warmer weather returns. Hopefully when we go plant shopping tomorrow, we won't discover that the stores didn't cover up their plants and allowed them to freeze. The closest Home Depot to us is really good about covering up their plants, but the other stores don't seem to be nearly as devoted to preventing the plants from freezing.

What will everyone else be working on this week?

Dawn

Comments (44)