SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

April 2019, Week 2, Spring and Not Winter, Right?

This should be such a lovely week with lots of places in OK expecting high temperatures in the 80s for a day or two or three. What could be lovelier than that so early in April? It is unfortunate that a couple of cold fronts will try to push the temperatures way down low again. We really don't need more cold.

Is anyone holding off and not planting anything while waiting to see just how cold the weather turns as we near the end of this week? Or, as we begin next week? I don't think I am deliberately not planting anything, but rather, just haven't had time the last few days to plant much. This week it has been all about the grandkids and helping them and the kids get the house finished.

Last week I got another two dozen tomato plants in the ground and 8 jalapeno pepper plants. I need to plant more peppers, but that was all that I had time to do.

There's a lot going on in the garden, not that I can remember what it is right now. My brain might not be awake at 2 a.m., even though my body is. I'll have to try to find time to walk through the garden in a day or so and see what else has come alive that I'm not thinking of. Oh, one thing I keep forgetting to mention is the annual appearance of tent caterpillars in the fruit trees. It seems early, but it probably isn't. Craneflies are out and the first June bugs as well, so it shouldn't be surprising to see the tent caterpillars too. I think I first noticed them around March 30 or 31. And, the irises are blooming. So, see there's two things I had noticed and kept forgetting to mention.

We need to mow this week, and by we, I mean me. Tim doesn't get home in time to mow before dark and I am home all day, so it is my job. I hate to sacrifice any gardening time to mowing. It probably will be too wet to mow for another day or two, or even longer if we get rain today or tonight.

There's more hummingbirds and more monarchs every single day. Most of the monarchs I've been seeing are new, but yesterday there was an old faded one visiting the wildflowers near the driveway gate. The old faded ones at this time of year likely overwintered in Mexico and are migrating northward, so it always is exciting to see them....even as the old, faded, tattered appearance reminds you that their life is nearing its end. Most old, faded monarchs that overwintered in Mexico won't make it any later than the end of April, if they live that long, so seeing them at this time of the year is very bittersweet.

I haven't really seen much of anything that resembles garden pests yet---in particular, no cucumber beetles and no grasshoppers. Usually I start seeing them prior to April, so not seeing them yet is a great sign. My catnip and lemon balm are hole-free, and it is pretty much guaranteed that when little holes start showing up in their foliage, little grasshopper nymphs are present in the garden.

Have a great week everyone and keep an eye on the two coming cold fronts. Also, watch the wind on Wednesday. It is expected to be brutally strong in some parts of the state, particularly out west. and will push fire danger pretty high for this late in April. I'm more worried about how the Wed wind gusts will affect younger, smaller seedlings.

Dawn

Comments (45)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County