SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

March 2019, Week 2 Let the New Rain and Mud Games Begin....

We've made it this far in what has been a really tough gardener's year so far. Daylight Savings Time has arrived, giving us an hour more of daylight in the evenings, which may be helpful for anyone who wants to slip out to the garden for a little while late in the day. We've made it through the worst of the brutal cold weather that started March off with a big chill. We made it through the first brutally windy March weather and we are still here. As a bonus, some people have new hugelkultur material to work with after the wind did some selective tree pruning. Now we just have to deal with a couple of rainy days, and some rain would be great for the folks in western and southwestern parts of the state that have returned to Moderate Drought or to Anbnormally Dry (Pre-Drought) conditions on the Drought Monitor map over the last couple of weeks. The weather has cooled down again after a couple of nice days, but it is March after all. I'm looking at the temperatures later in the week and wishing we wouldn't even go there, but we haven't even arrived at our average last freeze dates so we should expect there will be some more freezing weather even though we don't like it.

Did anyone plant this weekend? I didn't because we were too busy, but this afternoon I might. We'll see. Lately my schedule seems to have time for everything but gardening, and that is making me a little crazy.

I just carried out tomato plants for 5 hours of sunlight. Well, today it will be sunlight heavily filtered through the clouds, but that's about the best they can expect on a cloudy and possibly rainy Sunday in early March. Early March? Kinda sorta still early March but about to become mid-March.

There's lots of garden chores that can be done now. Remember to prune roses and fruit trees while they're still dormant, and whether they still are dormant now depends on your location in the state. You can plant bare-root plants now, but don't delay too long. They need time to establish and make some root growth before the summer heat arrives. The nurseries are full of plants now, both cool-season and warm-season. Be careful with those warm-season ones because we aren't that warm yet, certainly not warm to stay.

I probably will pot up tomatoes from their paper cups to their red Solo cups beginning tomorrow. I've been saving that chore for a rainy day and we're expecting rain Mon-Wed, with the best chances on Wed., which also is the day that the NWS describes our rain as "heavy rain". I have seven flats of tomato plants to pot up, so it will take a while, and since the larger cups take up a lot more space in the flats, we'll have more than 7 flats of plants to keep happy indoors under lights while the cold continues.

There's not much new to report. The warm-up has all the fauna and flora all excited about Spring and signs of spring are busting out all over. That's a good thing, but I'm still keeping a wary eye on the forecast with what looks like a couple more rounds of cold weather this month before we can maybe relax a little. I'll be glad when the cold moves on out of here.

Happy Sunday everyone. Have a terrific day and a great week and be sure to let us know what is going on in your gardens and landscapes!

Dawn

Comments (59)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio