SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Hybrid Perpetuals in Southern California

jerome
5 years ago

Sorry I have been so absent, and for years now; I have been incredibly busy with things outside of gardening. This morning, walking through the gardens, I noticed things beginning to move toward an amazing spring flush, due to our great rain season this year, and I had to share something with you all.

I started lurking and posting on this forum about (gasp!) 15 years ago, as I was starting gardens here at the abbey, and trying to learn what would work. Trial and error, it was a learning experience: Gallicas don't bloom here - not enough cold; the only Alba that will bloom here is Felicite Parmentier; Noisettes are not good in my microclimate; Teas are very, very good. But...there is one type of rose that is just fantastic here for our gardens, and I need to give them a shout out: Hybrid Perpetuals. Now, a disclaimer: we don't have many of them, but the ones we do are incredible plants, durable, flush spectacularly and extremely flexible in how you decide to prune them. I will list here the ones that are the true champs in the collection, in no particular order:

1) Grandmother's Hat - it's the one people always say, "What is that magnificent rose over by the path?"

2) La Reine - the spring flush is literally unbelievable, and it suckers some (which I like...more bang for the buck...buy one, get several free)

3) Yolande d'Aragon - in the pantheon of the most fragrant roses here

4) Old Town Novato - possibly more fragrant than Yolande.

5) Rose de Rechte - (okay, so it's a Portland actually, but they're a subspecies of Hybrid Perpetuals, no?

6) Forest Ranch Pompom - an amazing, tough, lovely plant.

These 6 types are magnificent here, and I could not recommend them highly enough. Of those, if I had to choose only three, and this time, in order: 1) Grandmother's Hat; 2) La Reine; 3) Old Town Novato. If you have room, get them.

Jerome

Comments (29)