SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Forgotten DIscoveries in Your Home

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm mostly moved, there are a few more things to sort through.

But, whether you are moving or playing at Marie Kondo, what sort of things have you discovered that you never knew/remembered you had, but turns out you really like?

Besides some lovely scarves I don't ever recall, I've found the following two items that have now happily followed me to my new home.

I must have purchased this one - still in its packing, with a price slip and all. It now hangs in the guest bathroom in my new home: (Ceramic, about 10 - 12 inches diameter.)

And this had to have been a gift, it was in a gift bag with tissue paper. It is now in a place of honor in my kitchen:

Anyone else??

Comments (52)

• 5 years ago

Delilah, what a great vignette!

artemis_ma thanked bpath
  • 5 years ago

I haven't found anything lately, but I still need to clear out one armoire. I'm sure I'll find a few forgotten treasures when I do.

artemis_ma thanked Fun2BHere
  • Related Discussions

Forgotten Cemetery Treasures.....Roses we've saved

Q

Comments (38)
    Reality Check Time There are areas of the country where roses did not tend to be planted in cemetaries. Iris, yes, peonies, yes, daffodils, yes, arborvitae in vast quantities, but not roses. In one week in Arizona, not even particularly looking for either cemetaries or roses, we saw more cemetary roses than I've ever seen in this part of the country. The closest anybody seems to be to an explanation is that roses in cemetaries are connected to a Catholic cultural heritage, which doesn't really arrive in the northeast until the late 19th, early 20th century. My mother's family cemetary plot in western Pennsylvania looks like something from an Edward Gorey drawing (as did my grandparent's house) Which brings up something else to keep in mind. The major enemy of neglected roses in the eastern part of the country isn't drought but trees. Many older cemetaries here are heavily shaded. In the really old cemetaries - the 17th century ones - it's not uncommon to have 200 year old trees growing in the middle of the headstones. So you have the conumdrum that roses can only exist around people, but people can decide to get rid of them.
    ...See More

Amazing Discovery!!! Would you believe????

Q

Comments (6)
    Wanda That old woman was here wearing some jewelry. I told her to return it to you and tell you where she put the box. Then I realized it was my lost jewelry she had on. She said she was only here until Chrisrmas to help me with the holidays. She has not done a thing except stay on the computer and watch TV. mariend I started cleaning out a closet today, but the weather was sunny and 80 degrees so I tried to do some yard chores. And there was the old woman sitting in the swing daydreaming.
    ...See More

Boost your Routine. A Brand New Detergent Discovery!

Q

Comments (189)
    Did a load of dishes with Bubble Bandit last night. At first glance, everything looked amazing. However, as I was unloading things, I noticed that anything with a small amount of food on it, didn't wash away. :/ There was also a horrible streak on two glasses. Re-Washed everything this morning with Cascade Gel + STPP, and once again Spotless. I just don't get that Bubble Bandit stuff. :(
    ...See More

Irrational germination and growth rates: Discovery or what?

Q

Comments (2)
    I tried Trillium in a passed (past?) life only to gave up and I am familiar with germination times but I don't think this is a factor here. Although each cycle had different seeds, they also had at least one seed in common and they were from the same packet. Each group had a tray of the Rutger's tomato. In the first batch, they germinated and grew quickly. The second batch three weeks later definitely took longer to germinate and showed signs of growing at a much slower rate. I will have to wait until next January to run this test again and this time I will take a lot of pictures. As far as I know, aside from temperature, all seeds had the same treatment and environment. I certainly will welcome any other suggestions though. I am going to guess that this will be a situation where, after I make a full diagnosis and a conclusion, that all of a sudden there will be posts here suggesting "Yes, you didn't know that?" (:
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

This is a timely thread! DD was just home from grad school on Spring Break and actually asked if she could clean out our garage. That immediately sounded extremely suspicious to me (LOL!), and so I helped her and we spent an entire day going through boxes out there. Yes, she was looking for cool things to take back to her apartment, but I found some lost treasures as well, so it turned out to be a win-win day for us both.

First, though, she found my lost hat hanging on the back of her bedroom door. DH must have found it and thought it was hers! Yes, that lamp shade is in sad condition, but it's the original on my inherited, old Capodimonte lamp and I'm hesitant to replace it.

And, a painting done by my Uncle Ken, an artist who was killed in WW2. I'm not sure if I'm going to gift it to my son or my brother, so it's propped up here in a bathroom for now. It's at least 76 years old now! Sorry, Uncle Ken! The carving was done by late father.

And I found the birdhouse I'd bought back in early-October at an art show, and lost (and forgot!) when I was trying to get the house ready for Christmas! It's so nice, though, I can't bring myself to put it outside. I think it'll end up in my Western guest room (LOL)!

Two bolos that my grandparents brought back to me from a trip "Out West" many years ago. I've hung them in our guest room, which has other Western art:

This mirror I did a while ago. Searching through a box of old ancestral photos from DH's family, I ran across two identical photo frames. I've never seen anything like them before. I took one to a place that specializes in mirrors and had mirror cut to fit this one. It has an easel back and sits on the long antique table I use as my nightstand. Sorry, I could not get a decent pic without my hand and camera in the way!

Isn't it gorgeous?

artemis_ma thanked LynnNM
  • 5 years ago

Continuing the hijack - Ida, I have the same recurring dream!!

artemis_ma thanked rubyclaire
  • 5 years ago

Rubyclaire, I'd be interested to know how many of us who love home decor DO have that same recurring dream, and what it's said to mean!

artemis_ma thanked User
  • 5 years ago

I've had that same dream, too, many times over the years, Ida! What always wakes me up (in time to remember this dream) is the suprise and horror that this hidden wing has been there all along and I never knew about it. Scary!

• 5 years ago

I have a dream about either moving into a new house that goes on and on, or finding new rooms in the current house. And I'm not really into decorating. :) I'm sure there's a psychological reason behind it.

Donna

artemis_ma thanked msmeow
  • 5 years ago

My recurring dream (I've many about houses..or things for houses..ceramic animals that are alive..huge rugs that fly..magical throws that are 15 square kilometers but are very thin and thus can be folded..choosing wallpaper..) is that we live in a house where floors are covered with water..like, we're walking in water ..but that's somehow normal. I can analyze it, but don't really want to:)

(the thing that I always stumble upon in my house with some surprize is me myself

I usually remember all my treasures-I tend to put them away and hide them so well I can't find some of them after. lol.)

artemis_ma thanked aprilneverends
  • 5 years ago

You know, I think we need to start a new thread where everyone can contribute their own strange house dreams. It sounds like many of us have had them and they're pretty darn bizarre . . . and entertaining (LOL)!

• 5 years ago

I've had that same dream about the room in your house that you never knew existed. Here's what I found regarding the meaning of that dream.

When you dream of finding a new room in your house, it is your subconscious telling you that there is an undiscovered (or new) part of yourself that you need to work on. Houses in dreams represent “the self” so finding a new room means that you are finding a new part of yourself, it's a dream of self-discovery.

As you can see from the words in bold, I just googled dream of finding a new room in your house!

artemis_ma thanked bac717
  • 5 years ago

You ladies have some incredible items that you have rediscovered. Nothing recent from my home here. However, we just moved my mom from her packed to the gills 5 bedroom house to assisted living, some great items there. Just have to really be careful what I bring home or I will be in desperate need of IdaClaire’s dream wing for storage.

artemis_ma thanked jill302
  • 5 years ago

I have to think a bit. I do agree that when you start cleaning out, you do find things that you have no recollection of!

artemis_ma thanked eld6161
  • 5 years ago

My backup power supply died, so in getting ready to take it to the recycle dump, I thought it would be useful to take along old computer equipment to recycle. Every closet that I opened had old equipment, every room had old equipment. I'm living in a computer museum, and none of it is Smithsonian worthy.

artemis_ma thanked suero
  • 5 years ago

I was cleaning out some old boxes of stuff in the attic a few weeks ago and found this cute little vintage teal ceramic lamp. It had belonged to DH’s parents and I think one of the boys had used it in their bedroom. I cleaned it up and bought a new shade and it now resides in a spare bedroom. It’s been up there nearly 20 years.

artemis_ma thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 5 years ago

IdaClaire, it wasn't a hijack! Or if so, it's a friendly one...

I too have dreams in houses, whether mine or others. The house goes on and on and on, and there are strange things that seem perfectly normal in them, including one recurring dream where I kept going to a house my parents had (well, never in reality) with underground caverns and tunnels.

Most recently, it was a friend's house. She's actually having it remodeled and is putting in a bathroom upstairs so she can finally SLEEP upstairs (we're all getting older and the kidneys are active at night...) In my dream however, she now has a Jacuzzi under construction overlooking up to a nearby mountain and over a stream, with a bay window. (The mountain really does exist but the rest of it... no.)

As far as finding things I knew I had but could never find: my passport. Yep, found it while packing to move. A year too late to use the dang thing to renew it... grumble.

I did find some other things I'd forgotten about - but remembered that I'd had them when I discovered them. (As in remembering provenance.) A set of silver baby spoons that had been my maternal grandmother's. Things like that.

• 5 years ago

Wow! I have goosebumps thinking that many of us have very similar recurring dreams! I too find myself navigating underground tunnels and strange labyrinths in "my" house that goes on and on. Sometimes there's an upstairs section that's very, very old ... and very, very haunted. Those dreams are the worst. They fascinate me but terrify me, because I'm longing to explore those long-forgotten rooms, but am well aware that there's an evil presence lurking up the stairs or down in the basement of many, many rooms. Yikes. Now I have shivers thinking about those twists and turns that the house dreams occasionally take.

So WEIRD!

artemis_ma thanked User
  • 5 years ago

That's crazy you all have the same dream! I've never had that one!

artemis_ma thanked gsciencechick
  • 5 years ago

this Old glass rolling pin was left when we bought our house 30! Years ago. I came upon it and used it in a Christmas tour with greens and berries inside. for some reason the whole pic is not showing up.

• 5 years ago
    We found this when purging/organizing 2 years ago. Neither of us remember where it came from.
    artemis_ma thanked Michele
  • 5 years ago

I recently found this after 8 years and 4 moves. A Zsolnay bud vase from my friend, Hajnakla. My husband and I were stationed in Germany with her American Army husband and watched their family grow from two to four while there. Zsolnay originated in Pécs, Hungary, her hometown.

artemis_ma thanked Jen K (7b, 8a)
  • 5 years ago

Just today while in the garage - I found a piece of forgotten Christmas decor, a porcelain fireplace that you plug in and it lights up. It is all decorated like a real fireplace would be at Christmas. And in its original box. I was like, "I remember this!" I can't wait to use it next season.

I tried scanning the box. The fireplace is appx 6" tall and 8" wide.

artemis_ma thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • 5 years ago

I discovered an entire box of Dickens houses this year that my DH and I must have bought at a consignment store and packed to bring down to FL and completely forgotten about. Most of them had never been opened. They were put into the storage closet w/ the beach stuff and shoved to the pack!

Ida my Gosh has it really been four years since you moved? Time flies! It seems like it was like 15 minutes ago you were posting about downsizing.

artemis_ma thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • 5 years ago

Add me to the list of bizarre house dreamers. They more often involve the house I grew up in which has morphed into our house but has the forgotten rooms or other oddities. And usually there are a LOT of people, some known some not, lounging around, sleeping in pillow strewn, misty rooms - opium den anyone?!

Haven't found anything other than a sock that's been missing ;-) but we purged a great deal when we moved so I'd be surprised if we found something unexpected. DH OTOH always has some tool or box of specific screws that he can't put his hands on when he needs it, lost somewhere in the stacks of the workshop. And by stacks I mean the enormous shelving units lined up like library stacks. He needs a Dewey Decimal for tools.

artemis_ma thanked DLM2000-GW
  • 5 years ago

IdaClaire - and the thing about those tunnels in the house dreams - they were never safe or mannered to travel. Still, I didn't think anything about them being "wrong" -and I'd wake up for a few moments being absolutely convinced it was a real house from my past!

Michele - I'd absolutely love to find that print in my house! (But I am pleased with what I have found!)

DLM2000 - usually not many people in those houses, but there were a lot of construction workers and then random people in the dream about my friend's house renovation. At the end I got lost trying to find my way out of the house, because it just kept expanding.

• 5 years ago

I also have the recurring dream of finding another room in my house and being shocked that it was there and I never knew it. I did not know how common it is to have this dream.

artemis_ma thanked jmck_nc
  • 5 years ago

I haven't had one of those "new amazing rooms in the house" dreams in a long time, but there was a stretch where I had them frequently. They were almost always new apartment-building-size spaces, tha I had apparently been occupying all along without having realized it. Tunnels, hallways, and sometimes just through a door.

I haven't, however, had the fun experience of finding something I'd forgotten. Yet.

artemis_ma thanked talley_sue_nyc
  • 5 years ago

cran, my parents have a few things that were left in the attic of the house they bought. Those treasures are always fun.

artemis_ma thanked talley_sue_nyc
  • 5 years ago

Add me to the house dream list. Although mine is about a house that is ours but not ours, sort of a rambling through large, connected rooms that keep going. Similar to what DLM describes, there are people in some of them, some I know, some I don’t. And many of the rooms seem comfortable, like a big den, and some seem like a large bedroom where people are lounging about.

artemis_ma thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 5 years ago

Anything hidden in my house is still hidden. If my sister comes to visit and happens to find any such items, they will end up in the trash. She loves to de-clutter and discard/destroy. The first thing she does when she comes to visit is to start cleaning my house, and so I have not invited her back (mainly because of her husband) for the past four years.

artemis_ma thanked Lars
  • 5 years ago

I've never had the dream but my husband has had it frequently as long as we've been married, which is nearly 51 years! Hub has absolutely no interest in decor of any sort, yet he finds rooms full of beautiful things in his dreams. He also finds the coziest, most charming, light-filled rooms in our house that have absolutely nothing in them but light and charm! I always thought he was searching for a space of his own in our kid filled house.

so very interesting!

artemis_ma thanked sheesh
  • 5 years ago
    I recently helped my parents downsize. We discovered that my mom is a magpie who loves costume jewelry (and garage sales). Nearly every box/bag/drawer we opened had a piece or two of the glitzy, sparkly stuff. Even she was shocked at the grand total. Gathering it all together allowed her to pick her favorite pieces. The rest went in a garage sale of our own for the next magpie to collect.
    artemis_ma thanked Lady Driver
  • 5 years ago

Never realized those house dreams were so common! I thought I was the only one...

Lars, that's sad, I can understand why your sister shouldn't visit!

Re jewelry, I ran into my little self's childhood costume jewelry. It went off to be donated.

• 5 years ago

I've puzzled over those types of dreams for a long time! In some, I find a whole new wing to our current house; other are of visiting a previous house which has changed so I'd wonder why we ever moved! Thanks for letting me know these dreams are not uncommon!

artemis_ma thanked lovemrmewey
  • 5 years ago

I can't think of anything I've found. But when I was in college, my mom gave me a little sand dollar necklace. A long time later she told me that she had bought earrings to go with it, but she couldn't remember what she had done with them. I knew that they were in my dad's dresser drawer, I had seen them when I was putting away laundry. But I couldn't tell her that! I never did get those earrings.

artemis_ma thanked aok27502
  • 5 years ago

LOL DH and his brothers inherited paintings their only Aunt painted. All lighthouses. We chose our favorite. It arrived and sat unframed on our mantle, he said he would build a proper frame, until time to decorate for Christmas (7 months). I put it in his closet. If I die first he will find it.

artemis_ma thanked arcy_gw
  • 5 years ago

I can't believe how common this house dream is I have had this dream for years about our first house. The linen closet door leads to many more rooms. I also dream I have had to go back to the first house to live again, and am very sad and depressed about it. Nothing has changed in it, and the mail has stacked up. I don't have any dreams about the current house.

artemis_ma thanked ladypat1
  • 5 years ago

Am I the only one who has the dream with the evil presence living in the house-of-many-hidden-passages? I think so ... and I'm not sure I want to know what that says about me.

;-)

artemis_ma thanked User
  • 5 years ago
    Home related dreams. I often dream of my childhood home but it’s all mixed up with current day reality. For instance, my grown children being with me there.
    Recently I had a dream that I needed them to help me find my glasses. There. I’m no dream interpreter but I think that one isn’t too difficult to have some thoughts on
    artemis_ma thanked Michele
  • 5 years ago

I too was quite amazed to read this morning how many have this dream. I wonder what it is telling us or what we should learn from it?

• 5 years ago

No..I too have many dreams about houses that have somebody or something evil and I have to save somebody from it..mostly a child, or children..dreams are usually very elaborate. It's just not neccessarily what looks like my house. I know per dream it's mine, but it looks different. Or it happens in one of the previous houses. Or I know it's some city where I lived before, Or, city I actually never lived in-but I somehow know where it is, or I don't.

A house can have in dream people I know, whether alive or deceased..or can have people that i don't know.

Usually some crazy mix.

• 5 years ago

April, come and sit by me in the WEIRDO section. LOL!

artemis_ma thanked User
  • 5 years ago

I thought it's normal lol

nightmares and stuff..

some of them are very cool..I mean in terms of not how I feel of course, but in terms of a story itself...when I read "Hunger Games" I was "wow..I had a very similar dream several years ago..it's really a pity my brain can produce all these things only at night time.. in those dark hours when the powers of evil are exalted. ))

• 5 years ago

It is said 3:AM is the most powerful time, a time when the veil between heaven and earth is thinnest. It is a great time to ward off what fears you and pray for those who are gone!!

• 5 years ago

The extra room in my house dream often contains a lovely indoor pool. But I also discover a disconcerting open hallway to adjacent apartments.

artemis_ma thanked graywings123
  • 5 years ago

Ok, don’t we have some professional Dream Interpreter here on this forum who can tell us why so many of us have these strange reoccurring dreams and what they mean??????

• 5 years ago

I have quite a good book on the subject. actually I'd say my overnight guests reach for it the most..lol

• 5 years ago

Fairly recently (well, I've only moved here recently), I've had dreams about my current home. It also grows bigger, and there are always rooms/sections of the house I really don't want to go into (for some reason they start to resemble bits of my OLD very dysfunctional house, but more so). Not necessarily evil but just dangerous. My brother often shows up (and can't do anything to help), sometimes old co-workers, and occasionally my currently-deceased parents.

If I dream about a parental home, there's always tunnels, and the need to be careful in them.

Hmmm, wonder what all this says...

• 5 years ago

Me Too!! 1) The same two cold, forgotten bedrooms with bath in a strange house that is mine. 2) A huge space in my unknown house with numerous beds, like a dorm or camp, but only accessible via a scary , weird opening near the ceiling . Its very awkward and tight access chills my somewhat claustrophobic nature to the bone. I attempted it once or twice, but no more...thank goodness . 3) A similar difficult to access area in a previous home...not scary, just frustrating as it would allow better ocean views. 4) An imagined house in a town we lived in years ago that I’d longed for. It becomes available and we , now more affluent, buy it. Im sad because I love the dream home we now live in...but ends with our not moving. Whew! Those reoccurring dreams have about faded away.

• 5 years ago

Ok, I'll go you all one further and admit that in one of my recurring house dreams, there's a large expanse of deep, shag carpeting that is buckled and loose in many places ... and covered in animal excrement. It's disgusting, and now that I consider it, wonder if it relates at all to the episodes of Hoarders I've watched where the floors were actually like that. It's beyond revolting and maybe I've internalized that for some reason. In the dreams, I'm always desperate to rip up the vile carpet and replace the flooring with something clean and beautiful.