SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Forgotten Cemetery Treasures.....Roses we've saved

celeste/NH
16 years ago

Hi Everybody....

Every so often in our travels across the state investigating old rural cemeteries for forgotten rosebushes we come across some that are so extraordinary its like winning the lottery. All you other rustlers know what I mean....for all the dozens of graveyards you visit, only once in awhile do you strike it rich, and when you do it is so exciting. But there are some roses that you can't believe your good fortune in finding because they are just so unexpected and so lovely....and such tough survivors that you love them the minute you find them.

I wanted to share some of the best of these wonderful old roses and where they originated. We make it our mission to go back every year to weed, mulch, fertilize and prune the original plant so its not lost from its intended site, because long ago someone shed tears of sorrow as they planted that rosebush....we always want to keep that love and honor alive in the beauty of a rose. It is very rewarding to go back each year and see that the twiggy, unpruned and undernourished bush has gotten so much bushier and healthier because of our efforts. I hope that the souls who rest there are looking down from heaven and are smiling.

Celeste

EARLY SPRING...WE FOUND THESE AND WEEDED THEM, FERTILIZED, PRUNED AND MULCHED THEM (they hadn't leafed out yet):

{{gwi:297990}}

OUR MOST EXCITING FIND OF 2007....

THIS ROSE HAD THE MOST FRAGRANT BLOOMS I HAVE EVER SMELLED!

{{gwi:297992}}

CLOSE-UP OF THIS FRAGRANT BEAUTY;

{{gwi:226234}}

GRAVESTONES WHERE WE FOUND A LILAC-PINK SCOTCH ROSE;

{{gwi:297993}}

CLOSEUP OF LILAC-PINK SCOTCH;

{{gwi:226238}}

TOMBSTONES SO OLD THE ENGRAVING WAS WORN AND COULDN'T BE READ....SCOTCH ROSE BEFORE PRUNING;

{{gwi:226237}}

CLOSEUP OF DOUBLE WHITE SCOTCH ROSE;

{{gwi:226235}}

MY MOST FAVORITE FOUND ROSE....I HAVE IDENTIFIED IT AS "REINE DES CENTFEUILLES" (which means Queen of the Centifolias). I saw this rose at Montreal Botanical Garden this June and couldn't believe my eyes, as I had been affectionately calling it "Pompom". I LOVE this rose! It is very fragrant, blooms a long time, roots easily from cuttings, is hardy & healthy, and is shaped like a perfect ball w/ a button eye....hence my naming it Pompom. We found this growing between two old tombstones, heavily infested with Japanese Beetles and nearly completely defoliated. I couldn't even make out what the blooms looked like since they were so covered in beetles; all I knew was they were pink by the tattered shreds left. I had to wait until the cuttings grew into bushes and bloomed for the first time this June to see what the flowers actually looked like, and boy was I pleased!! The bush was severely stunted so I didn't think it was a very tall rosebush...however, by the looks of the cuttings I took which are now bushes it looks to be much taller than I expected. Each branch is so loaded up with buds in June that it pulls the branches down!

HERE ARE SOME CLOSEUPS (growing in my garden)....

{{gwi:270002}}

{{gwi:221982}}

{{gwi:297994}}

ONE OF THE GRAVEYARDS IN WINTER SLUMBER;

{{gwi:297996}}

THERE ARE MANY OTHER WONDERFUL OLD ROSES THAT WE'VE FOUND BUT ARE TOO NUMEROUS TO POST THEM ALL. THESE ARE BUT A FEW OF OUR FAVORITES. I HOPE YOU ENJOYED SEEING THEM!

CELESTE

Comments (38)