SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

propagation failure

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
14 years ago

I tried my hand at propagation, and so far failed. A few days ago I tested my plants that I had begun on June 14, and none of them had any roots at all. They had lost their leaves and were not looking good. All were Cramoisi Superieur.

I have one attempt at Carefree Sunshine that does not look too bad.

I need to change - that is why I tested them. I have a counter in the kitchen that I am using, and it is on the opposite side of the north facing window. We have good artificial lighting in the kitchen, but not the sun.

At some point should I move the plants to the window?

Our outside temps have been over 100 until a couple of days ago, but in Oklahoma, it will be very hot until Labor Day.

How much light do they need? Do you propagate outside? Does it hurt to move the plants a few times a day? I get up early to work outside until it gets too hot, so I could put them on the sidewalk on the east side of the house until a certain time, then take them inside.

I sure would appreciate some help here.

The one plant that seems to be maybe ok, but is losing leaves now, is in a plastic cup with a plastic bag over it, and the bag is closed up to the stem.

I also have large bottles to use, and more cups. Someone said that to put dirt in a bag and put them in it and close the top did not work for him/her.

Help????

Sammy

Comments (35)