SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onetwothreetim

Massive Wintersowing Failure?

onetwothreetim
15 years ago

I was wondering if those experienced with wintersownig could shine some light on some questions that I have?

This is my first year wintersowing and I think that I might be experiencing the signs of a possible massive failure...

For background I probably would call myself an "experienced" gardener. However, I often make mistakes and certainly know that I have a lot to learn.

I have grown almost every plant that I own from seed or from cuttings and I have done so for more years than I can count. I would have to say that I have been fairly successful at propagating plants from seed.

I'm seeing very little activity with my fist year at wintersowing in containers. I have a good showing of Fireweed from Alaska, a few Russian Sage plants, two Turtlehead sprouts, but not much else.

Plants that I had hoped to see coming up by now are Beautyberry, Blue mist spirea, Guria, Gentina (Maybe) and Prairie smoke, Blue Vervain,,Blackberry Lilly, and a few others.

I have about 20 containers I expected to see activity in by now. I have 59 containers total. I hope that the trend doesn't continue on to them. It's starting to look sort of dismal with such a small fraction of the containers sprouting....

I know from experience that seeds should never be planted all at once and not in the same planting medium. I've rotated planting times, soil mixtures, and containers so that the seeds have slightly different environments. I've used slightly different mixtures of Peat, Vermiculite, Pearlite and soil.

I cheaped out on the soil in about 5 containers and pretty much wrote them off as soon as I planted them in December.....I've since come back to my senses. :)

The only factor that I can attribute to failure on such a massive scale is moisture. It seems to be a very wet spring. This seems to be the only constant in all of my containers. I don't know what else it could be. (all of he containers are well punctured for drainage).

Am I expecting too much (too early) from my containers? I live in zone 5a (Pennsylvania. If I had stratified my seeds in the ground I certainly wouldn't be expecting anything yet. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little?

Is anyone else in my zone having signs of poor germination?

Sorry for the long post....

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery