SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Those loveable little Scots roses

celeste/NH
14 years ago

I was sitting here dreaming of spring (which is still a long way off here) while looking out my window at the frozen landscape and the big bed of scots roses that

along with the rugosas will be the first roses to 'wake up' and bloom come the first week of June here. I really

miss these roses. Their blooms may not be the biggest or the showiest but their charm is undeniable once someone gets to know them. What escapes me is why they are so overlooked. They aren't gushed over the way so many of the other old roses are, so I am taking it upon myself to do so.

The scots (or scotch, spinossimas, pimpinellifolias) are my husband's favorite roses and rightly so, because they are the most low-maintenance, reliable, cold-hardy, toughest, and most demure of all the roses we grow. Most in our collection are ones we 'found' on our many excursions to old cemeteries near and far and they endeared themselves to us because of their tenacity and will to survive. It always astounded us to see them growing out of cracks in aged tombstones, in soil so dry and parched that the grass and weeds had perished, in plots that had been continuously mowed down but still sprung forth year after year to bloom, sending out sucker'children' many yards away. We found them while on the motorcycle usually hours away from home and

despite the fact that we plucked a sucker or two and stuck it in our saddlebags sans water, we never had any that failed to grow. This is a rose that needs no coddling,

no fussing. Scots roses survived just fine all these years in the cemeteries dating back to the 1800's without the intervention of man. The beetles devoured them, the sun scalded them, the rain forsake them, the subzero cold

and wind battered them, the snow and ice encased them,

and yet they never gave up. They survived, flourished,

and bloomed on graves of souls who like themselves were long forgotten. To us, the scots roses are like angels in the cemeteries, watching over the departed and blooming in their memory.

I wanted to share some of them with all of you, both the

ones we have found and some we bought. I wish more folks would see the merit and beauty in these little treasures

of the rose kingdom.

Celeste

semidouble white scots on grave from 1875 in NH

{{gwi:225852}}

closeup of bloom

{{gwi:225853}}

Double White scots, found in NH

{{gwi:225855}}

{{gwi:225857}}

another Double white from different cemetery

{{gwi:225860}}

'found' scots, marbled-pink variation