SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emerogork2

Irrational germination and growth rates: Discovery or what?

emerogork
8 years ago

I have seen this phenomenon before and have a theory or two.

The first time I saw this was many years ago with bulbs in dark storage for the winter. They seemed to know when it is January 1st because they start sending up shoots then they stall until they are planted. They are in bags of saw dust and there are no windows nearby. Phase of the moon? Gravity fluctuations by the angle of the sun?My theory 1: For the bulbs, the gas furnace is about 6' away and starts to cycle more often in January. Average temperature is 55d. I wondered if a possible explanation was the release of ozone or other exhaust but this next situation might explain.

. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the seeds: The next time I saw something like this has happened over the last
three years and I finally noted it enough to write about it.

This year,
anticipating an early/warm spring, I set seeds in trays under lights in late January. This first batch was very successful Even the ones that claim to take long time to
germinate all sprouted very soon (a week?) and are growing very well.
However, seeds set three weeks later are taking much longer to sprout and those that do seem to be taking a lot longer to attain any real height.

I am sure that the lighting and watering conditions are the same and will venture that the situation is influenced by heat. Although I have different types of seeds and can contribute some of this to that, I did a second batch of Rutgers tomatoes from the same packet of seed. The first set were impressive yet the second seemed stunted and did not seem to produce their secondary leaves as early as the first batch nor grew as well.

I have them in a hallway on the first floor of the house. They are near the front door (rarely used, no windows.) and is in a colder section of the house. There is a baseboard/radiator heater 4' away on the opposite wall it is on the same circuit as the rest in the house. I am going to hazard a guess that the cycling on and off of the heat is cycling the temperature enough that the seeds respond better. Later in the month, the average temperature is warmer and the heat does not cycle as much if at all.

I once used bottom heaters and did have a modicum of success. The heat was constant. I critically monitored the temperature. I then cycled them with the lamp timer and had a cold nights and warm days pattern , it improved but not all that much.

My theory 2: Since the heat triggers on and off all day and night, I believe that this is the reason for the change in germination. In January, there was a greater variance in temperatures and maybe the seeds preferred this.

I have never seen this in any directions for heating pads or germination stations and may have to wait until next year to test this....

Your thoughts appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!