SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakejones_gw

Improving Seed Germination Rates

jakejones
16 years ago

Last summer, I started seeds from the Lily Auction in Aug. They grew in pots and were planted outside in Oct. Most survived the winter, but I lost about 15% to heaving, even though roots went down 5 inches or more. The germination of these seeds was about 80%!! They were fresh, after three weeks in the fridge.

This January, I also planted seeds. Some were from the LA and had been in the fridge for 3 months. Others were mine that I had air dried for 3-6 weeks and then in the fridge for a couple months. The germination rate on these was a measily 50%, some much worse. Some were stored in paper envelopes, others in pastic. The germination rate was about the same, maybe slightly better for the plastic wrapped ones.

The cellar, where the lights are, is cooler in winter, about 63 degrees, instead of 70. Maybe a heating cable would have helped? But I think that would have only speeded things up.

Otherwise the two seed plantings had similar conditions. What could I have done better to have increased germination in January?

Comments (10)