SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

St. Patrick's Day-Show Me Yours

annie1992
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Amanda and Dave came over with the kids for dinner, so I dragged out the Irish Coffee cups, although it was just coffee. And since Houzz won't let me post a picture in an original post, I'll continue in the next post...

Well, maybe not, as I can't post any pictures in the original post OR in follow ups. I'll keep trying, but we had corned beef, cabbage, scalloped potatoes and pureed butternut squash, the white/green/orange of the Irish flag. I added cheese buns, made with Dubliner cheese and a cross cut in the top "so the leprechauns can get out". Chloe's horseradish sauce, some home canned green beans and home canned peaches for more green, white and orange, just in case, LOL. For dessert, sugar cookies, frosted green and sprinkled with white coarse sugar. The gluten free sugar cookies were frosted white, with green sugar, so we could tell them apart.

Amanda made sure everyone wore their green to keep from getting pinched, and she made shamrock cookies yesterday. The Princess just smiled and shook her head and said we were both just "so extra", LOL, but she ate the cookies anyway.

In return for her attitude, I beat her at a game of Scrabble. Again. (grin) And so we had a nice day with family, just as it should be.

I was hoping to show you mine, maybe you can show me yours.

Annie

Comments (25)

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Trying again:

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hooray, that worked. Corned beef:

Be sure to note the green tablecloth, LOL.

• Related Discussions

celebrating St Patrick's Day

Q

Comments (4)
    Never heard about those Murphy's before! Careful now, you folks. I AM IRISH! My Great-Grandmother came from County Cork......Now what was that?!? LOL! The best Irish celebration I have ever seen was back a few years. I was at the Irish Day Parade in Boston. You talk about a bunch of "drunks" having fun drinking green beer. That was the best I've ever seen. There are more Irish Fireman's Units out there than even in Ireland and I believe most of them might have had trouble fighting a fire that particular day! Lots of green stuff out there. St. Paul, Minnesota has another great parade and a couple great Irish taverns, in case anyone wants to visit.
    ...See More

UPDATE: St. Patrick's Day Swap

Q

Comments (97)
    Wow! I got my box this morning and it sure brightened my day! Carol-what a fun box!! I loved it! Got up sick today and this brightened my morning! I got a green makeup bag with travel size brush, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, and lotion in it! Perfect as always going to grandbabies and back for a night or so! 3 pair of earrings -I LOVE Them!! A large black cherry candle in a jar! Perfect! A green lizard "Iggy"-the beanie baby one! Go with my others. Shamrock body jewelry=very cool! St. Patricks Day armband with leprechaun on it. Bag of Almond Roca toffee, ton of mini Twix bars (one of my FAVS!!!!), a box of Liberty Orchards fruit and nut delights! YUM, YUM! Didn't you know I needed to start a diet-maybe next week! LOL! Green And Gold Bead necklaces with gold bell. Green M&M lady stationery-cool! And a pair of sip and wear glasses! If I can get some one to take my pic in them I will send it to you Carol and you can post! Haven't figured that out yet! So cute!And last but not least a ton of seeds! I really enjoyed the box. Was such fun getting all of it out and seeing what was what!! Thanks so much! Melinda
    ...See More

Happy St. Patrick's Day from me and Maxine!

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks Lukkiirsh! I love Maxine as well and often send her cards to family and friends who appreciate her humor. Happy St. Patty's Day!
    ...See More

I'll Show Your Mine, If You'll Show Me Yours, Friday July 1st

Q

Comments (9)
    Picked some flowers from the garden the other day to put in the kitchen window. The peony has opened nicely today.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ooh, I'm trying TWO. Scalloped potatoes and cheese buns, with the leprechauns all safely escaped:

I also made a loaf of gluten free bread for Amanda, and it turned out very nicely, thanks to nancyofnc. I forgot to take a picture, though, and she took the rest of the loaf home so she can have corned beef sandwiches.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    5 years ago

That looks so good, Annie. No photos because I don't know how but my 87 year old mother is here from Ohio until mid-April and we had a scrumptious corned beef and cabbage lunch at a local restaurant. I'm going to follow your loose instructions for the take home leftovers tomorrow - corned beef/vegetable hash - I will make poached eggs and toast to go with it.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yum, Seagrass, that sounds good. I also saw a hash recipe that took a parsnip, a turnip, a rutabaga, a celery root, an onion and only one single potato, and that sounded kind of interesting to me, I might have to try that if I can gather all the vegetables.

Have a nice visit with your Mother while she's there, I'm sure she's loving it, being there with you.

Annie

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

Annie, wonderful CB dinner. I am convinced that you are Irish. :-)

Here is mine.

Sous Vide corned beef.

dcarch

Best part of the meal, potatoes with crispy corned beef fat cracklings.

• User
    5 years ago

We celebrated with corned beef and cabbage and Irish Guiness Brown Bread. My Irish coffee cups are from the early 80s -- a gift from a friend and I use them almost every year!

Corned beef and cabbage --

Irish Guiness Brown Bread

My wee Irish coffee cups!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, dcarch, my Great-Great-Great Grandmother was named Brigid Murphy, if that gives you a clue, LOL. She married Hugh Traynor and they immigrated to Canada around the areas that are now Bobcaygeon and Buckhorn, north of Toronto. There were already family members there, the first immigrants to that area from my family were a pair of sisters, who also happened to be nuns, from County Meath. Their brothers followed them, and here we are. Somehow, I get the idea that you aren't necessarily of Irish origin, but everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day! And I do agree with you, the potatoes are always my favorite part.

Martha, my cups were also gifts from a friend, my old boss. Although they say "Irish Coffee" on the other side, my family does not drink and so they contained just some nice Irish Breakfast tea for me, flavored coffee for The Princess and some hot chocolate for Bud.

Annie

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

I didn't cook but I did drop off and pick up DH from an Irish pub where some friends of his who have a band were playing and also laid in supplies of greasy, easily reheated takeaway food for afterwards (there aren't a lot of late night food places and they're generally not great). DH didn't drink a lot, just a little buzzed, but he did enjoy the chicken sates and roti canai with curry dipping sauce. I didn't go as I don't care to be in crowds of drunks.

I did get DH's vote for Outstanding Wife :-D

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    5 years ago

Annie - You out did even yourself again!

We went to a St. Patty's day party on Saturday. They had corned beef and cabbage with new potatoes, Rubens, and someone brought a mini keg of green beer. I brought some green pickled asparagus, pickles, pickled jalapeno peppers, and guacamole for the Irish Mexicans.

Sorry, no pictures...don't want to incriminate myself!

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Irish colcannon, with Savoy cabbage and buttermilk. (A hint of nutmeg for seasoning...)

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jack, sometimes pictures just are not a wise choice, so it's probably best, LOL. I'd have liked to have seen them anyway, but I guess it is not to be.

Colleen, definitely Wife of the Year, LOL, but that doesn't sound like Irish food. Hmmm. I do know what you mean about crowds of drunks, remember I owned a bar/restaurant at one point.

Artemis, I LOVE Colcannon. However, my Italian Son In Law doesn't want his food "all mixed together", so it was potatoes and cabbage separately. He loves both those things, just not mixed together. Ah well....

Annie

• Compumom11
    5 years ago

I didn't cook much, dinner was at our cousin's house in honor of his 80th birthday. I just the veggies and horseradish sauce (a keeper) from this recipe:

Roasted Corned Beef and Cabbage with Carrots, Potatoes & Horseradish Cream Sauce

By Jennifer Segal

Servings: 6 - 8

Prep Time: 20 Minutes

Cook Time: 3 Hours

Total Time: 3 Hours 20 Minutes

Ingredients

For the Corned Beef and Vegetables

• 1 (4-lb) flat-cut corned beef with seasoning packet (do not trim the fat)
    • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    • 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-in chunks
    • 1-1/4 lb small gold potatoes (about 2.5" in diameter), halved
    • 1 very small green cabbage, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (see note)
    • 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley, for garnish (optional)

For the Horseradish Cream Sauce

• 1 cup sour cream
    • 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, plus more to taste
    • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    • 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon sugar

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven the 325°F. Set one oven rack in the middle position and another in the bottom position.
    2. Rinse the corned beef several times under running cold water. (No need to dry it.)
    3. Place
      the corned beef fat side up in a large roasting pan (you'll trim the
      fat after the meat is cooked). Pour about 1/8 inch water around the
      meat. Sprinkle the contents of the seasoning packet into the water
      around the corned beef. Cover the pan tightly with heavy-duty aluminum
      foil and roast on the middle rack for 3 hours.
    4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, horseradish, salt and pepper.
    5. Place
      the carrots, potatoes and cabbage side by side on a rimmed baking sheet
      (do not line the pan with foil; the potatoes will stick). Drizzle the
      horseradish-butter mixture over the veggies and toss with a spatula to
      coat all of the vegetables evenly, keeping the vegetables separate. Turn
      the potatoes so that they are cut side down (they'll get crispier that
      way).
    6. After the corned beef has roasted for 1
      hour and 30 minutes, place the pan of vegetables on the bottom rack of
      the oven. Roast the vegetables and continue cooking the corned beef for 1
      hour and 30 minutes more, until both the meat and vegetables are
      tender. Check on the veggies occasionally to be sure they are browning
      evenly. (The cabbage will brown first, so give it a toss when the bottom
      pieces look golden. The potatoes and carrots may need to be turned, but
      only if they are nicely browned on the bottom before the cook time is
      up.)
    7. Transfer the corned beef to a cutting
      board and let sit until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes. Cut off
      the layer of fat on top of the corned beef and discard. Slice the meat
      against (or perpendicular to) the grain into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange
      the meat on a platter with the roasted vegetables and sprinkle with
      parsley, if desired. Serve with the horseradish cream sauce.

For the Horseradish Cream Sauce

1. Combine
      all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Taste and
      adjust seasoning, adding more horseradish to taste, if desired.
    2. Note: You won't use the whole head of cabbage; just use enough to cover 1/3 of the sheet pan.
    3. Note: The nutritional information does not include the horseradish cream sauce.
  • annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ellen, I think horseradish sauce just goes so well with corned beef. I only have one problem with that recipe, it says in #2 under the sauce section "you won't use the whole head of cabbage; just use enough to cover 1/3 of the sheet pan". WHAT??? I made a head and a half of cabbage and it still was all eaten, LOL, and there were only 6 of us!

Annie

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

Funnily enough there is a brand of Irish Curry Sauce which apparently is used liberally as a condiment in Ireland, believe it or not:

McDonnell's Curry Sauce

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    5 years ago

dcarch - Could you please tell me what the flower-like green veggie on the top of your dish? I originally thought that it was broccoli but when I look more closely, I'm not sure that I am correct. Thank you.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

No corned beef here. No kitchen. However, I’ve so enjoyed looking (and drooling) over everyone’s photos!

My goodness Annie, you really cooked! It all looks delicious – is that corned beef in your scalloped potatoes I see? If so, you are ‘so extra’! I love the back and forth you have with the Princess : )

Seagrass… corned beef hash with poached eggs? Can it get better than that? Nope : )

Dcarch, I have to repeat myself with you all the time! Unbelievably beautiful plating, but even better… that looks incredibly tasty! I have to ask as cindy_7 did: Are those broccoli florets, nipped? Love the way you prepared the carrots and cabbage, sliced thickly. Clever to fry the corned beef fat : )

Martha, yummy looking and your Guiness Brown Bread is beautiful!

Artemis ma, I’ve never made Irish colcannon but I want to now! I know DH would love that… so would I : )

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

TMD, thank you for your kind words.

And Cindy, I had horseradish sauce for the corned beef. I decided to have a little green theme, but I didn't feel like using artificial color. So I cut off the broccoli florets, blend them with the horseradish sauce. Ta-da! Green horseradish sauce for St. Pat's Day!

dcarch

• HU-721786473
    5 years ago

My DJ is half Irish half English and he said they didn’t make much of a deal over St. Patrick’s Day. But I did make some cupcakes for the granddaughters. I didn’t have any green food colouring and so made do with what I had. Defiantly not a professional job, but they said they were delicious. I tried a new chocolate cake recipe that turned out excellent and was so easy.. I also made a new.butter cream frosting recipe and was happy with it too.

ill try and post a pic. If is doesn’t work this time I’ll try another post.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh boy, what'snot to like about cupcakes?

Colleen, somehow I just don't ever think of curry when I think of Irish food, LOL, but I stand corrected!

Yes, 2many, I am indeed "so extra". It's what makes me fun!

Annie

• Lars
    5 years ago

Nothing to show for St. Patrick's Day - Kevin's birthday was the day before (the 16th), which is when I got sick in Cabo, and then he got sick the next day, and so I have absolutely no photos from those days!

I did find out from 23andme that I am perhaps 3% Irish, supposedly from County Roscommon and County Dublin, but we have no known family history of this. I guess this is enough for me to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, and I did wear a green shirt and green shorts but was unable to eat anything more than a few crackers. I'll make an effort to be more festive next year!

I like corned beef and cabbage, but we did not see that in Mexico. I know cabbage is traditional in pozole, but I only saw that at one restaurant and had huitlacoche instead. You can get corned beef in Mexico City, but we were nowhere near there.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    5 years ago

dcarch - Thank you for the explanation!

• neely
    5 years ago

We went out for dinner and green was the theme.

That’s Spinach Gnocchi, broccoli and various green bits and sauces with almonds sprinkled on top. Was OK.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Neely, that's definitely green! Spinach gnocchi? That's interesting, I've never thought of that.

Annie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH