Happy Pi Day! today

rob333 (zone 7a)

Happy Birthday Einstein! Remembering Stephen Hawking. Any other "geeks" out there wanna join me?

:)

SaveComment13Like3
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgysmom2

I thought it was Pie day.......was thinking abut buying a pie. :-))))

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

I'll join you if you have any lemon meringue.

1 Like Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

Great day for quiche or pot pie! Not shepherd's pie for three reasons: I can't make it, no one around here carries it, and I always start to think of Mrs. Lovett ("peppered with actual shepherd"!).

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Well, pies are how one celebrates pi day! We had fudge. Yum.

Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

Even though I was good at HS geometry (stunk at math, though), I realized the use of Pi when I bought a house and wanted to put a mulch circle around a tree and edge it with plastic edging. Then I learned I don't need to take Pi beyond the decimal, because the edging came in 20' rolls.

Some kids in my son's third-grade class had a Pi contest: how far out can you memorize and recite Pi? DS won, closely trailed by the girl who had a huge crush on him through high school. He is still such a math kid. Won't write an English essay to save his life but took Differential Equations for fun.

And finally, the Purdue engineering school cheer, according to my dad (I can't type in math on my tablet, so forgive the modern English representation)

"E to the x, dy, dx

E to the x, dx.

Cosine! Secant! Tangent! Sine!

3.14159!"

And to this day, I take Pi out to 5 places (even though edging comes in 20-ft rolls).

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

Let's hear it for Big Bang Theory where Stephen Hawking, Buzz Aldrin, Elon Musk and Bill Nye have all guest starred. So have George Takei and LeVar Burton but they probably don't really count . Oh, it's on tonight - maybe they'll do a Pi special.

2 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Aw. Big frowny face. I thought, wouldn't that be cool? Son is home, we're both geeks and what a way to wrap up the evening. They're showing one that aired in January.

Scoop: Coming Up On Rebroadcast of THE BIG BANG THEORY on CBS - Today, March 14, 2019

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

^^ And Steve Wosniak and Bill Gates. Also Stan Lee, Adam West, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher. And the voice of Leonard Nimoy. And William Shatner will appear sometime this final season.

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

A rerun? That's too bad. sigh, I will miss this show.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Lots of places have specials today especially pizza places.

A nice slice of pizza pi would be great! Lol

2 Likes Save    
JoanEileen

My daughter just brought home a cherry pie and an apple pie---$3.14 each at our local grocery store.

2 Likes Save    
lonestar123

I made an apple pie today for PI day.

Save    
Fun2BHere

I'd love to have a pizza pi(e). The one in the picture looks delicious, Raven.

Save    

Related Stories

Fun Houzz May the Fourth Be With You: Happy ‘Star Wars’ Day
Alert all commands: This ‘Star Wars’ home decor is wizard!
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: Felt Creates a Happy Feeling in a Boston Nursery
A designer couple’s modern nursery features clean white surfaces with a surprising material on a statement wall
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Pi Day + Pie Stuff = Yummy Fun
Add these tools and accessories to your baking arsenal and watch smiles multiply
Full Story
Bathroom Design Quack, Quack: Happy Rubber Duckie Day!
Make January 13 all it's quacked up to be with a yellow little fellow perched on a sink, tub or table
Full Story
Pets Upload of the Day: Catwalks Keep Pets Happy in a Candy-Colored Condo
Shelves and wall-mounted boxes keep 2 cats active and entertained while their guardian is at work making jelly beans
Full Story
Happy Prep for Today
Big, geometric prints and bold colors find favor with a new school of prep
Full Story
Gardening and Landscaping Happy National Toasted Marshmallow Day!
Go for some gooey goodness with an outdoor s’more fest to ring in fall
Full Story
Pink Room of the Day: Color Them Happy in Los Angeles
All is bright in this living room since a creative couple enlisted their designer friends to reimagine it
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: ‘Cool Kids’ Share a Pattern-Happy Bedroom
A designer creates a colorful new room for her sister’s baby and toddler in California
Full Story