Class-action lawsuit against Wayfair

Jasdip

Wayfair was selling fabric headboards and mattresses knowing they were infested with bedbugs.

Wayfair class action

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
share_oh

OMG! I had looked for a fabric headboard on their site last year. Ended up buying from Amazon instead. I love my headboard even more now! Yikes!

Save    
nicole___

Yikes is right!

Save    
maifleur01

I would wonder how someone would know that the bedbugs came from the headboard or from another source. I am aware that major infestations apparently have a specific smell but I doubt in a warehouse anyone could smell well enough to say that something was infected.

If the delivery service also picked up things that were infected and they spread to other things in the cargo I could see it happening. But that would be on the delivery service. Some services refuse to pickup items that are of concern. I had a recliner delivered with the idea that they would take away the old. The old was where the cats slept and they refused to take it as an example.

Save    
Toomuchglass

Wow --- and they're not that cheap either. I never thought of bedbugs ....eeeewwwww

Save    
maddielee

A friend just sent me the same info! (I just shared it on another forum.) I’ve heard of moving vans and other types of delivery trucks being infested and spreading the problem.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Class action lawsuits only enrich the lawyers who (always) take on such cases on a contingent fee basis. Often at 30% or more of the ultimate recovery. Such lawyers employ staffs to read news and other reports, looking for likely plaintiffs to approach to file suit and form a class.

I wouldn't read to much into it. Far too many of these injury suits are filed. For the lawyers, they just want half a plausible argument and hope to at least settle with some kind of payment from the defendant or its insurance company, if applicable.

It's legalized extortion. It's a branch of the personal injury bar, perhaps the worst group of societal leeches we have.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Lars/J. Robert Scott

I filed a class action lawsuit against the city and county of San Francisco and won. I had a free lawyer from Legal Aid, and he was interested in getting a law changed. Without the class action suit, the law would have remained the same, and I will not disclose what that law was, but it is no longer in effect.

4 Likes Save    
watchmelol

I was a member of a class action also. Against a well known bank/lender. While it's true that many are pretty lame in the sense of the consumer getting much of an award I was one of the more injured parties to the suit although I was not the primary plaintiff. Also the lawyers took a liking to my pit bull attitude and refusal to be intimidated by the goons from the other side. Some of the crap the other side pulled could have come straight out of a movie. Ended with quite a bit more than pocket change. At least four years worth of mortgage payments.

Sure most class actions result in a coupon or a few bucks but like Lars said they are the little guys key to help make change in laws and see that the big guys don't get away with their shenanigans.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Legal Aid lawyers are different. They do mostly good work and aren't the scourges of our society and leeches that the members of the personal injury bar are.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

"Xxx was selling ...

... knowing they were infested ..."

... is a statement/claim that such is a fact.

But that is the claim that the class action suit is making, which has not been proved in court.

If someone speaking of it refers to it as a fact, without referring to it as only an allegation, sometimes they are sued successfully by the agency being maligned, especially if the claim is made in a public forum.

It's wiser go include the "allegedly" proviso.

I think that there are substantial restrictions on lawyers taking on cases on a contingency basis in Canada.

ole joyful

1 Like Save    
lukkiirish

I’m participating in a class action law suit against Hearst Magazines. They’re accused of violating Michigan Law by disclosing their subscribers’ personal information to 3rd parties without consent. I don’t care if I ever see a dime. I only participated because if it’s true, then they need to be held accountable.

I think that when used the way they were intended to be used Class Action Law Suits serve a meaningful purpose. Sometimes it’s the only tool or type of recourse people have to hold companies accountable.

Save    
maifleur01

Having actually read much of the fine print on things that I sign or subscribe to almost all of them have information in them to allow disclosing personal information to their own companies or advertisers. What those second parties do with that information is outside of the control of the first group so the attorney's are just trying to extort money rather than righting a wrong.

FYI most of what people call personal information is already on the web if you know where to look for it. Some you now have to pay a fee to receive but back when I was checking financials there were very few things that I could not have access to.

Save    
lukkiirish

While Hearst may disclose now, but apparently prior to 2016 they did not which was not in following of the law in our state. It’s only my opinion but I think that just because stuff is floating out there doesn’t make it right. Authorizing for your information to be shared is one thing, but when the choice is made for us, well that’s going too far.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

If there was a violation of state law, it should be prosecuted by the state's Attorney General. If that's not being done, there's a reason and if it is being done, a class action suit is NOT to hold this company accountable, it's for the financial gain of the lawyers bringing the action.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

For Pros Design Practice: How to Start Your Architecture Business
Pro to pro: Get your architecture or design practice out of your daydreams and into reality with these initial moves
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How to Handle a Grievance With a Neighbor and an HOA
A condo resident complains about noise from a toddler out with her mom on a 7 a.m. dog walk. Does the mother have any recourse?
Full Story
Cleaning How to Clean Your Washing Machine
A once-a-month cleaning of your washer will ensure that it stays spick-and-span along with your clothes
Full Story
Life How to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: On Dogs at House Parties and Working With Relatives
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives advice on having dogs at parties and handling a family member’s offer to help with projects
Full Story
Decks Choosing a Deck: Plastic or Wood?
Get the pros and cons of wood, plastic, composite and more decking materials, plus a basic price comparison
Full Story
Kitchen Makeovers A ‘Brady Bunch’ Kitchen Overhaul for Less Than $25,000
Homeowners say goodbye to avocado-colored appliances and orange-brown cabinets and hello to a bright new way of cooking
Full Story
Fences and Gates Should You Use Composite Timber in Your Landscape?
This low-maintenance alternative to wood is made from varying amounts of recycled plastic. Consider it for decks, fences and more
Full Story