SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piddlerdad3

Oil Gel - Class Action Settlement - Toyota

piddlerdad3
17 years ago

My mom owns a 2000 Model Toyota Camry, and received a legal notice in the mail. I've never been one to sue anybody. I won't start ranting on about my personal views here.

Mom wants to know what to do. Basically, the settlement is for people who own Toyota Camry, Sienna, Avalon, Celica, Highlander - somewhere in between 1997 and 2002 range. some of these cars have apparently had problems with oil gel.

Mom's car doesn't show signs. She has good pressure, the exhaust looks okay, no excessive oil consumption, check engine light is not illuminated.

She is worried sick that her car is going to blow up or just stop running now that someone has told her about this. My questions:

1) How prominent is this oil gel in Toyotas (and the notice mentions some Lexus models as well)?

2) Is this legitimate? or is this a scheme of lawyers who want to make $$ off of worrying little old ladies who sit around with nothing else to do but file paperwork for eligibilty on class action suits against major companies?

3) The eligibility certificate already has her VIN # on it, and it is titled "The Toyota/Lexus oil gel Customer Support Program. Added Protection for your vehicle." The notice makes it sound like this is something Toyota has implemented and all that Mom has to do is take it in if she ever sees problems. Is this on the level?

4) She has until Dec 31st to opt out. Otherwise, from the way the legal notice states, she is alredy covered and just needs to keep the certificate in her glove box. If she has problems, the certificate states that Toyota will repair her car.

I have to admit this sounds like a good thing to just put in her glove box and she should take no action to opt out; but I'm leary of things like this. What say anyone?

Thanks for any advice or confirmation. dennis

Comments (25)

Sponsored