SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcarlson78248

Using rigid foam as part of subfloor structure for flooring

We have a new addition (not yet built) where we plan to install a near-zero entry shower. To make the shower floor slope work properly, the sub-floor under the shower has to be recessed enough to allow for the slope in the pan. We plan to use one of the Schluter pre-sloped pans, or equivalent.

My architect has suggested a couple of possibilities, and one is to simply plan for 2 layers of 3/4" plywood on the floor, and cut one layer out to create a recess for the shower pan. However, I'm not sure that provides enough drop to ensure water drains in the right direction.

Another solution that occurred to me is to put down one layer of plywood, then a 1" layer of rigid foam, and then the 2nd layer of plywood. Cutting out the top layer of plywood and the foam would provide a 1 3/4" recess, which would be plenty to allow for the slope needed.

Is there foam that would function well when used this way? Its common to use foam under a floor in a basement, but that is on cement. This will be on top of a conditioned, insulated crawl space with standard floor joists.

Thanks,

Bruce

Comments (3)