SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
niwashikun

Rigid foam vs. spray foam under crawlspace

niwashikun
11 years ago

Hi,

We have a two pronged issue we're trying to address.

1. Stale, musty smell, likely coming up through floors

2. Very cold floors in winter

After endless hours researching I'm virtually paralyzed by info overload and conflicting opinions.

I've narrowed it down to two solutions, either:

1. Closed cell spray foam insulation on the underside of the floor

2. rigid, foil-faced polyisocyanurate foam attached to the bottoms of floor joists sealed with foil tape and penetrations filled with spray foam

I realize there are strong opinions on both sides of the sealing/ventilating issue and I don't want to start another thread arguing those sides.

Therefore I'm looking for comments from people who have actually done one of the two solutions and can give their direct experience as to what effect it had on the above two issues as well as related problems.

My concerns/questions :

Both Solutions:

Effect on musty smells

Effect on floor temperature

Effect on dampness feeling of floor

Solution #1:

Issues with leaking pipes

Issues with liquid spilled in house

Issues with access to pipes for repairs

Solution #2

Issues with mold on/under insulation

Issues with leaking pipes

Issues with liquid spills in house

Also curious as to the effects of covering the dirt with plastic. A common practice but according to a study mentioned in a different thread not necessary.

House Facts:

-1948 pier and beam bungalow in the Houston TX, 1250 sf, open crawlspace approx 18" dirt to subfloor.

-Original portion (ca 900 sf) oak floors (with lots of crevices) on top of diagonal shiplap sub floor (parts I've seen have lots of space between boards)

-70's addition (ca 350 sf) has plywood subfloor with various amounts of linoleum and vinyl flooring on top.

-plumbing in crawlspace, most electric and all hvac in attic.

Thanks!

Comments (12)