SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

“Invented” a yummy dinner tonight :-)

colleenoz
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Inspired by a recipe in the paper a few weeks back, I decided to use up some phyllo I had lingering in the freezer and some feta in the fridge.

I took a large skinless, boneless chicken breast and cut it into small dice, along with some mushrooms and spring onions. Sautéed them all in some butter, then removed the solid bits to a bowl to cool and thickened the remaining pan juices and a little leftover chicken stock with some cornstarch and added the resulting light gravy (about 1/4 cup) to the other ingredients. When it was cool I stirred in some small diced feta and seasoned with pepper only as the feta had enough salt.

Took three sheets of phyllo, brushed melted butter under one sheet, then laid a row of filling about the thickness of a link sausage along one long edge. Tucked the ends of the phyllo over the ends of the filling to hold it in and rolled it up into a long thin sausage shape. Then I carefully curled the sausage shape into a spiral to make a large “snail”.

Baked on a greased sheet in the oven for 35 minutes, basted partway with extra butter, they were delicious and DH was impressed :-)

Comments (6)