SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_434283866

Old Craftsman home wood window replacement project advice Milgard

Shaina
5 years ago

I hired a local window installer (legitimate business, referred by a coworker) to replace about 40 wood windows in my 1913 Craftsman home.The project is finally finishing up, and I need some advice on how to address some issues I experienced along the way, and with the end result. I've been extremely patient and understanding throughout the process (it was supposed to be done mid october/november), but I'm not comfortable making the final payment wihtout calling a few things out.
1. The installer/designer/business owner sold me on "once I take on a project, I don't take other work during that time so I can get my guys in and out of there to get the job done as efficiently as possible" . This was not the case. Initial consultation and measurements was done the last week of July. I didn't receive a quote for a full month. After signing the agreement, the order wasn't placed for a month. Windows were to be delivered Nov 12 and work starting Nov 15. Windows and doors were delivered (all 40 of them, right into my living room), and work didn't start until 12/9, because the installer took on another job during that time.

2. Throughout the installation (which was supposed to be 10 days), we were promised it would be complete before Christmas, and it wouldn't be disruptive to our daily routine. The house was a complete mess, dirt and mud everywhere, etc, we were supposed to have six men working each day, we were given two (since the others were given to the other job) The job was finally supposed to be complete on 1/10. I came home that day and there was a ton of drywall work that wasn't complete, screens weren't put in on the exterior but were scattered all over the house, trim wasn't caulked, new wood trim that was put up was damaged and it was left that way.

3. The business owner also asked for payment early . It was supposed to be 50% down, 50% at completion for an $85,000 total job, as stated in the agreement. I paid 50% down at the start, and she then asked for $20K early in December because "she would really appreciate it"

4. I planned to give many of the original doors and windows to my father. I told her which windows to haul away, and the rest should stay. She kept hinting that she wanted the windows when she initially walked through the house and said they could be sold. I later realized she took eight of the little french doors that I wanted, as well as a few other windows that absolutely should have stayed .

5. the "finished" product just doesn't seem right to me. The windows are beautiful and obviously a major upgrade for the home, and I believe the overall install is correct, but the way the trim was left and chunks of drywall missing, and screens and other hardware scattered about doesn't seem right either.

If anyone has advice on how to handle ANY of these items, please let me know. I'm doing a walkthrough with the owner in a few days, and I need advice on how to address these issues. I owe about $10K more based on the agreement (yes, I caved and paid more early) , and she is also asking for another $10K for it taking longer than expected (quite frankly I'd like to ask for $10K back for it taking too long...)

Comments (4)