SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincnkel

Need some help/advice on my old house

lincnkel
13 years ago

Hello! This is my first post. I did a search on replacing plaster with drywall 4 hours ago, found a post on here and have been reading other posts ever since (so much for xmas baking!!)

A little background - we bought a farmhouse built in 1910. The guy that owned it before us was here for 10 years and basically screwed up everything he did. (Example - ceramic tile in the bathroom directly to the paster IN the shower. Imagine our surprise when it started falling down in the shower one day.) We have lots and lots of work to do and want to retain as much character as possible.

We recently had a new electrical service put on and the upstairs has been rewired. The next project will be to rewire the downstairs but we need to replace the walls. They are in terrible shape - the office has a drop ceiling and paneling and the living room ceiling is starting to cave. We've been here a couple of years and have attempted patching but it's just not working and we can't find a good plaster guy around here. We already replaced the plaster in the stairwell and upstairs hall (also paneled) so we know the mess it will create.

TO FINALLY get to my question - what do we do about the wordwork? The wordwork is my absolute favorite thing about my old house. However there are 4-7 coats of paint on it depending on which room we are in. (Every single surface of this house was green at one time or another.) We have started refinishing it but realize that it will need to be taken down to hang new drywall. What is the most efficient way of refinishing it while it is off the wall? Or can anyone recommend a product?

I am so looking foward to being a member of this amazing forum!! Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Kelly

Comments (12)