SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimbop99

Replacing 20 year old equipment. Need some advice.

jimbop99
9 years ago

I have a 2900 sq. ft. home in S.E. Wisconsin. The current system is original to the house and consists of a Carrier 9200 Weathermaker 100K BTU natural gas furnace and 4 ton Carrier single stage AC which is split into two zones (upstairs and first floor). The first floor is 1600 square feet and the supply header is a 8” x 20” duct. The second floor is 1300 sq. ft. and the supply header is a 8” x 16” duct and there is a 10” round Static pressure bypass damper. The house had a load calculation performed in 1995 when it was built calling for 93000 BTU of heat (total dwelling loss 69,388. maximum allowable loss 81,128). They then multiplied the maximum allowable heat loss by 1.15 and called that the maximum furnace output (93,297). The zones are controlled by a honeywell HZ322 controller. I have had no significant issues in the last 20 years.

I would like to replace these units with new ones as a preventative measure. All four contractors have suggested 100K BTU furnaces with 4 ton AC unit. None have performed a load calculation. One stated that the reason he didn’t do one is because one should have been done when the house was built, therefore, the current sized units should be correct. One of my concerns is all the new 100K BTU furnace blowers are 5 ton (2000 CFM) whereas the current unit has a 4 ton blower. Do I need a new load calculation? Is my ductwork sufficient for the newer units?

The next is, should I stick with a multispeed blower or go variable speed or go all out with the Carrier Infinity/ Bryant Evolution systems. My original thought was to go with all 2 stage equipment, variable speed blower and keep the current zoning system. Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)