SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitton41

Help, I need some serious advice about my 11 year old SD

whitton41
18 years ago

Sorry but this is going to be a long one. Quick history, My wife and I got married 3 years ago, ( second marriage for both ) she brought in one daughter at the time 8 years old ( now 11 ) I brought in three sons now 16, 17 ,21. My 16 year old and her daughter live with us, my other sons are with my ex wife. My ex wife is for the most part still in the picture ( meaning we communicate about our shared children once a month or so, and we both talk to our children on a regular basis), however my wifes ex husband has not seen my SD in almost 3 years. We have tried telling him that my SD wants to see him, but he basically abandoned her when my wife and I got married and my SD and him have talked 3 times on the phone in 3 years. She has become very arguementive with me over the last couple of years, and its getting worse everyday. Everyday its a battle of wits between her and I, and lately she's showing the same disrespect to her mother although not as bad. She feels everyone hates her, espically me, and that I treat her totally different than what she calls my perfect son ( trust me he ain't perfect ) I tell them both, they have choices they can make and there are consequences to their choices, if they dont' do their chores, they lose computer and phone rivileges that night for example. So in that respect, they are treated identical. My son won't argue with me, he simply do what I ask him to, take out the garbage etc, my Sd on the other hand, you'd think I was asking the world of. I personally feel this has a lot to do with her parents Divorce and the fact her father hasnt' seen her in 3 years, and she's blaming me for it, hence the acting out, the arguing etc. Its gotten to the point that my SD thinks everyone would be better off with her not living here, and that everyone hates her, ( this isn't true at all ) We've had numerous talks about it, but its the same in a matter of days,back to the arguing etc. My wife feels that I'm to blame for this as I am harder on my SD than on my son, my arguement there is that if my son back talked me the way she did, he'd be in as much trouble. I feel that I just want her to do what I ask when i ask it, without arguing about it. How Do I get thru to an 11 year old girl that this is all I want, and I want us to be a happy family, not one stressed out daily by all this fighting. This is starting to affect my marriage as I feel helpless to get this under control, and have no idea what to do. Any thoughts or help is apprieciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz