SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boxerpups

Help, I need some advice on my Family rm

boxerpups
13 years ago

Thanks to anyone and all who can help me.

I have hit a negative design rut in my life. Everytime I

start I seem to want to just cry. This is so unlike me

as I studied Art history in college but I am

unable to work on my space. I ignore it and go about

my day. I would rather scrub toilets than try to

fix this. I think I am so lost in the ulgy mess that

is, I just don't know where to turn. I could use

another set of eyes to take it apart and help me start

over or if it is really bad just sell the place and

move.

Things I want to keep.

My red leather Natuzzi sofa, chair and ottoman. I love

them. The soft baked Scone paint color by Behr.

I can change the family room wood floor to match the rest

of the wood floor in the house. Even though I kinda of

like that it is lighter. The kitchen stays as dark wood

floors and white cabs with graphite colored counters.

I have taken 5 quizzes and they all say I am modern

but my home exterior style is traditional ( I think)

Here is an image of my home on the outside...Oh one quiz

said I was romantic tuscan ??? what does that mean?

Clearly I am desparate. One quiz asked which room do you

keep the door closed. I am thinking that would be my house.

Oh a little more about me. I have 3 kids 2 are teens,

2 larger boxer dogs and an easy going husband. But he is

picky about keeping his flat screen tv in the room. Yes, the tv stays.

Here are few images.

I need to think about drapes or window coverings. The

light is brutal in the summer. We have those horrible

blinds that work for now. I also have a wood cornice

that I would love to use or recover with fabric. It goes

the length of the windows 16 feet in a bay shape.

This is my favorite painting ( I could easily loose the blue willow plates)

I like these little vases The red paint is in my DR.

IGNORE the rug, I moved that out ages ago. It is funny

in person the red in the rug matches the sofa but in

images it looks dreadful.

This is off the kitchen a little breakfast nook.

I have painted this are but regret the color. It is

pretty but tooo minty and I think too country looking.

I am willing to change it.

a few more things I like. NO not my art my children's.

Okay, Okay you can see why I have never been hired as a

hot decorator with this in my portfolio. lol

Outdated fireplace and no that hideious picture is gone now.

There are built ins to the left of the fireplace that

also house my DH's flat screen.

A rug that I have recently moved into the space looks

like this...A flat weaved brown sisal that matches the

dark floor perfectly. I can get an image tomorrow. Right

now it is a disaster of kids and popcorn.

The chocolate rug and the red sofa look great. In fact

the first great in a long time of a sad decor.

Lastly I could sell the sofa. I love it but my uncle

told me red would be the ruin of my decor. That I should

have waited the 18 weeks to get the neurtal beige that

would go with any color in the world. My bad.

Help you can see there is no order, no consistency, no

design, no style .... Ahhhhhrrrrrrggggg just a mess

of crap that needs to be worked on so I love it again.

~boxer

Comments (31)

• les917
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It would be very helpful to have full shot pix of each side of the room. What you have shown us are some small pix that dont give a sense of the space. We need to see the built-ins, see the tv, see how it all works together, especially the things that are staying.

I think you have a lot of great things, and red is obviously your passion! It can all work, but we really need to see all that is going on to understand.

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure, sure.. I can do this in the AM with daylight coming
    in. I feel like I have posted too many already.
    I truly appreciate your advice and will charge up the
    camera tonight.
    ~boxer

• Related Discussions

Need help with Family Rm. Finishing touches! LOTS of pics

Q

Comments (65)
    WOW! Thank you for bringing my thread to 'life' again! I haven't been on here in awhile and I was thrilled to see it pop up again! Thank you! The room still looks the same, just more baby toys! But I am having a party in a few weeks and I would like to spruce it up! lmayer- I have been trying to decide for the last few months about the window treatments and I am leaning more toward roman shades and I think a nice splash of color would be nice...any ideas? I can't part with the spiral votive holder...I decided to somewhere else in the house. katy texas- oh, I just LOVE that print...I had no idea they had a poster of it! This makes it MUCH more affordable for me!!! I'll show hubby. neesie- fabulous idea! Thanks. It just looks SO bare especially since we still haven't purchased any doors or screens for it yet. I would LOVE to get some more ideas from everyone, I'm having SUCH a hard time with this room. It's getting there though....
    ...See More

Help, I need some serious advice about my 11 year old SD

Q

Comments (5)
    Well slept on the couch last night ( what a joy) after yet another arguement about S.D. with my wife. This last week has been filled with the same crap different day. So heres the scenerio. My wife and I work differing shifts most of the time, so I end up spending most of the time with my S.d. After school and evenings, my wife works mainly 4 - midnight shifts. Last week was more of just the same, my s.d talking to me anyway she feels like it ( totally no respect ) and a week of mainly all out battles between us. Yesterday, i argued with her for 4 hours trying to get her to clean her room, when i can't see the floor and there are dirty dishes in there, its time for her to clean it, finally i just gave up told her to do whatever she wants, live like a pig, i'm beyond caring, and i stopped talking to her for the day. Now over the week she had lost her computer time, phone time and tv time for lying to us about her school homework ( telling us it was all done, after parent teacher confrence we found out she had not been doing any of it ) she ended up grounded. Anyways, wife comes home, s.d comes out of room, talking as sweet as ever, Oh hi daddy blah blah blah, i just said uh huh. after an hour, i went in the computer room, there my wife on her computer and my s.d on my computer. I said um excuse me your not allowed on the computer and after a day like we had, dont' expect to be on there for a long time. Well that was a mistake, wife turns around says she's doing her homework, and I just laughed, shook my head and walked out. next thing i know my wife is yelling at me cause i'm not allowing s.d. to do her homework, and i told her what kind of day we had and it didn't matter. I told her once again that she has NO idea wht i put up with on a daily basis, my son 16 years old pipes up, ummm ( wifes name ) she talks to dad with totally no respect when your not here, wife tells son to shut up that he treats s.d with no respect either, to which i replied, well when she learns to talk to people with respect, maybe she'd get some back. Suddenly wife yells she has had enough and her and the s.d are leaving ( moving out ) So i decided to sleep on the couch. So now what??? Been thinking about it most of the night, personally i think it might be a relief to all concerend it it happened. Much as I love my wife, and I know she loves me, we can't continue like this. I know i will never accept anyone talking to me like my s.d does, and if my son was talking to my wife that way, well lets just say son would be very bored for the next two months. My wife says, well your the adult, my s.d says you can't do anything to me cause mom will just move out. HELPPPPPPPPPPPP. I'm so tired of being stressed, i think everyone is, is there any solutuiont o this, or am I just wasting my time in something that is never going to change.
    ...See More

New FamilyRm - Brown Accent wall - need rug/furniture help

Q

Comments (18)
    A lovely space, and the chocolate brown wall is luscious! I know you said you wanted red as your accent color, but I would think in terms of red being a second color - everything else really is brown. For the accent? A deep turquoise or teal - great with the brown, and amazing with red, too. I assume the tv is going over the fireplace. We don’t see the wall opposite the fireplace, but from looking at the kitchen pix, it would seem that the wall is solid on the left side as you look at it, and has a sliding door on the right. I don’t know if you are thinking sectional or separate pieces, so I will just throw some ideas out there. I would look for a piece like this, to put facing the fireplace/tv. thomasville derby sectional, fabrci 1331-40 You could add a leather ottoman if you feel you need a comfy place for feet , or this round copper coffee table. I think this could be really great in there, with the brown and red tones in it, and the curves to work with the rug and chair shapes and balance all the rectangles in the room. tribecca round copper table A sofa table or low cabinet behind the couch with a pair of lamps for lighting there. Then I would put a pair of upholstered swivel chairs on the left of the couch, facing the window, with a lamp/table between them. Perhaps a deep red fabric like this: sutton swivel glider chair, fabric 2622-91 Then over in the corner to the right of the fireplace, I would love to see a big reading chair, floor lamp and side table, perhaps a chair like this, in leather: linden street leather recliner Finally, a rug with all your colors and some great pattern, perhaps this: linden street chunky loop rug, in the aquamarine background On the back wall to the right of the slider, if there is room, you could have a desk and chair, if that would be useful, or perhaps a small table with two chairs for playing games. I don’t know what you are thinking for window treatments, but panels would be nice just for a finished look. If you need privacy you could also consider woven wood blinds. These panels from JCP might be ones to consider: linden chenille panels in henna stripe Then pillows and accents that pull in the reds and turquoise/teal. And of course art, but that is a personal choice.
    ...See More

Help! I need some advice with my seedlings wilting.

Q

Comments (13)
    Hey, everyone, thank you so much. I've come to report. :) I completely quit watering except for the smallest seedlings to which I added a few drops of water (to callirhoe and echium). I have loosened soil with a toothpick. I had also used one toothpick for a support and I noticed mold on a toothpick today! :( I removed the toothpick. Added fresh soil. The thing is since I quit watering only the biggest seedlings survived. I have managed to save all 5 leonotis seedlings, caesalpinia died completely as well as 2 seedlings of echium and one gaura. Also just one callirhoe survived. One question here: since I quit watering daily, the caesalpinia leaves dried up completely. How is that possible - the soil around it has been moist the whole time? I keep them on the drier side although the soil has remained pretty moist. They get enough supplemental light as well as natural light (I expose them to a south facing window sill every day for a few hours on direct sun). The other seedlings - I'd love to transplant them but they just went full flaccid. :( They literally can't stand up even with a toothpick. They seem like rotten or something. But they don't rot as far as I know. What's wrong? I may add a picture tomorrow. But there's something strange I encountered today. I wanted to see how strelitzias were going and started digging with a toothpick. I saw something white and thought it sprouted. However, when I looked it was something like a very very tiny white worm. Is that harmful? I noticed some fruit flies constantly flying around my propagator, though.
    ...See More
  • forhgtv
    13 years ago

You can NEVER post too many pictures. LOL! From the bit I've seen, I can tell that you are having a style crisis. You are in love with more modernist lines and colors, but feel duty-bound to honor the traditional exterior of your home. There is a raging debate about whether the interior of a home has to honor the exterior. Personally, I don't think so, but many will disagree with me. One question...do you, by any chance, have another living or family room?

• loribee
    13 years ago

You have a great start with the neutral rug and red furniture.
    I think the wood cornice and drapes of some sort would be beautiful...maybe something like this:
    JCP Supreme Stripe Pinch-Pleat Panels in New Orleans Red.
    The soft stripes of color would be so pretty in your room.
    Keep us posted on your progress and YES, please show more pix. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP drapes

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I think the red leather is great. You love the pieces...don't look back. Red is never the ruin of anything!!! You have a good starting point.

Never mind the quizzes....which magazines do you read and drool over? Is it Trad Home or Elle Decor? I think you must have a virtual stack of inspiration pics that resonate with you, right? I agree with forhgtv that you are having a style crisis. Never mind the style of the house for now. You can inject a lot of contemporary into your spaces and even if it isn't "perfect" in a design sense, it will at least make you happier.

I am not the best at looking at pics and giving large-scale advice about rooms and layouts. (Thankfully, Les is here.) I can advise about color, if and when it comes to that. But, I felt compelled to chime in and at least try to offer some moral support since you have contributed so much to these boards, Boxerpups.

• User
    13 years ago

boxerpups-

What forhgtv said, s/he is right on. Post more pics and let the comments/suggestions wash over you, and do not feel duty bound to match the interior of your house with the exterior (which feels more transitional than traditional to me, but I am not a trained anything but businessperson, so...).

I love the cherry red furniture, and think you can make it work in that space, but you do need wall color as a foil to it, right now the red pops too much, and makes the walls look wan and a little forlorn. I know from your previous posts that you are in NE, and you get all that harsh east light, so you have to warm things up with wall color that marches with that red furniture.

Looking forward to seeing more of your pics.

sandyponder

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I'm anxious to see the pics that show the whole room. My advice is to start with the basics. Arrange the big pieces, sofa/chairs, then if possible, switch out the side tables for larger ones with straight lines if room allows. The traditional Queen Ann style tables don't mesh well with the modern seating. Add lamps to the side tables and additional lighting as possible, such as a torchiere.

Remove all accessories and pictures and decide which fit into the room and which don't. From your photos, most look too small and they are not consistent with the fairly modern look of the furniture. Think bigger, chunkier accessories.

You might want to start a new thread when you post your photos so that the photos are at the top of the thread.

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Forhgtv,
    Yes, I have two other living rooms. 1 small and 1 ginourmous.

The big one but is on a different flor. Media room: A
    golfing and game room theme. Large screen tv, curved 1/2
    circle of brown leather to face the screen.
    And golfers green colors all about. Black framed
    paintings.. All very GOLF. I avoid that room. The kids
    dwell there. Foos ball, pool table, Wii, Playmobil...

Formal Living room
    All cream. Cream sofa, drapes, chairs have light floral
    with soft celery and butter flower pattern. Drapery
    hardware all soft golds and butter colors with cream. The
    rug in there is a wool sage, celery and butter. This room
    is not contemporary but rather Elegant but comfortable.
    Rich fabrics and softness. Yes, even a leopard throw to
    give a taste of the Hollywood style. The golds and butter
    yellow look perfect.

My husband's office and sitting area. Is off the
    formal living room so it incorporates the butter but adding
    dark woods with books, art and another fireplace.
    Two club chairs in there with a tweed look. Very business.

Hi Loribee, I love JCP drapes. I will check them out on
    line. Thanks for the tip. I could probably buy extras and
    make my own cornice. Hot glue gun, staple gun and drill.

Amysqr,
    You are tooo sweet. Thank you. Moral support is so appreciated.
    I must be a loZer, I don't really drool over magazines. I
    look at them, read but always think I would do this
    differently. Or worse say to myself " I could never live
    here."
    My favorite designer...Genevieve. I love her practical
    approach and clean feeling to helping make great spaces.

The visuals I have do not have a specific theme. More to
    help others find that perfect trim, or counter or
    wood color or paint chip... I should probably clean
    out that photobucket account and start over.

And, Thanks for telling me not to regret the red. I do love
    it. I keep thinking yellow, red and ____ something although
    my DH does not want Yellow but he did not want 3 kids
    and 2 dogs and so we kind of ignore what he wants. He is
    afraid of the unknown, once he sees it he loves it.

Okay here we go,
    ~boxer

These are the two story windows.

From the front door or coming down the front staircase

From the front hall
    My old boxer, we call her the breathing rug as she
    sleeps 23 of 24 hours.

----------------

Left side of the room after looking out to the deck.
    You can see built ins. The fireplace used to be painted
    the same color as the wood on the left. I painted it
    white. I like it better.

This is facing the kitchen with the built in fireplaces
    behind you. You can see the kitchen is white, black
    and a minty green.

Sconce died. Yes, I was throwing down some laundry and
    it was heavy and knocked the light. I have wanted to
    replace these for years. Now is the time.

Dead Sconce

The slider is behind you and now you can see the three
    sconces and the front entry ( keister of my other boxer)

There is an open hallway above this room, you can see the
    railing. My mini office is up there.

I am so confused did I post this image?

View from upstairs down.

Gosh as I look at the pictures above.
    I need to looooooose the mini tables, the ugly brown
    chair, and ugly plaid pillows.

I need to add some rich fabrics, pattern, better pillows,
    a new chair, new end tables, definitely new lights, get
    rid of the gold, add a color but I am clues as to what...

Thanks again everyone. I really love GW.
    ~boxer

• barb5
    13 years ago

Keep that sofa, chair, and ottoman!! They look great, and with 2 teens and your pups, probably work great too functionally!

And you have found a rug that works too. Great progress!

I am thinking from what I can see of your room (agree about the need for pics that show the room as a whole, and also about starting a new thread with the pics at the top) that the next big move would be WT on that bay. I always think navy blue with red, but perhaps something working with the choclolate brown of your rug would work too? Something fresh and modern, not too traditonal.

I'm seeing a rod hung higher over the window area with drapery panels to the ground, with panels between your windows and sliding door too (IOW, treating the whole window area as one unit). Can't tell where exactly that eating area is, but perhaps unifying the two areas with the same material on the drapes? Clean lines, nothing fussy.

And agree that your tables don't work with your red furniture. You need something more modern.

Also, love your taste in art!

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi SandyP,

Yes, I think you are right. The sofa makes the walls
    look forlorn. They are all sad in this space.
    And it really is not a sad place.
    Please help me make them all happy again.

~boxer (New Englander here)

Graywings,
    Great advice to remove the accessories. I won't start
    a new thread now but I understand how that could help.
    Thanks,
    boxer

• jen9
    13 years ago

I don't like matchy matchy things, but it seems like you have some styles fighting each other rather than coming across as eclectic. If you want to keep the sofa, which is great, then I think you need to loose your existing window treatments, especially the valance (definitely need a fresher look). To me, the tables don't work with the lines of the sofa, but perhaps someone here with a better eye could tell you to lacquer one black & make it work somehow. I know you said you want to keep the paint color, but to me that would be the first thing I would change. Something warmer to go with the warm tones in the new rug. The paint, at least on my monitor, looks too peachy for your furnishings.
    You have a beautiful home & some lovely things -- love your artwork! I will anxiously await the posts of the "pros"!

• pamelah
    13 years ago

Ditto on the pillows and window treatments. But let's talk color first.

Your beloved red sofa and chair have thrown a monkey wrench into your color scheme. GREEN should do the trick if you are going to use so much red in an otherwise brown/tan environment.

You are right about your mint in the adjacent room - too minty.

A more organic color will pull the red together better with your wall and floor colors. For tone and value, look at your plant in the Dead Sconce pic, and gaze out the window at pic "I am so confused".

Have you considered adding more organics? Is is too dark in your locale to consider some tall plants? It's an inexpensive way to complement the red.

More metallic accents and some larger scale art would be good.

Finally, I would re-purpose that clock to another location in the house. That space is worth consideration for some larger scale art.

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

You have some lovely things. Yes, keep all your red leather. Practical and beautiful.

You said that you'd be willing to redo the floor? Personally I'd start there. Install flooring that matches the flooring in the kitchen and foyer. I think that will look more cohesive and I also think the red will look better against it.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Let's see:

I see gold tones in your artworks, flooring and your chair in the room. Therefore -- consider painting both this room and the kitchen in the same warm, cozy tone of pale gold or even a warm tone of caramel.

Consider painting the built-in bookcase white to blend into the wall -- and create a fresher, co-hesive look.

Paint the brown parts of the staircase and stair-railings on the balcony to white -- again -- to make them "disappear" and blend into a more modern decor scheme.

Yes -- tables with cleaner, straight lines -- in black -- will help pull that strong basic color from the kitchen -- and help to balance the visual "weight" of the red sofa and chair.

Yes -- look for modern sconces and table lamps/standing lamps with clean design lines BUT in black iron -- which will work with the kitchen AND the house's traditional look AND a modern decor scheme.

Look for modern plant pots in white, black and red.

Move the black valance in the family and over the kitchen sink MUCH higher on the walls to create the visual illusion that your windows are "taller" and therefore the room is taller too.

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- abstract artworks from Laurie Maitland

• teacats
    13 years ago

Here's some ideas for lamps ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus -- possible lamps in black

• teacats
    13 years ago

Example of possible tables -- this set is from Overstock -- but simply to illustrate the idea .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Just examples of some black tables from Overstock

• teacats
    13 years ago

Possible mirror for over the fireplace ....

Here is a link that might be useful: lamps plus -- possible mirror

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

After seeing more pictures, I understand your dilemma better. This room is open to almost every other part of the house, all of which is laden with traditional style. I was hoping that you would have another more isolated living area that you could adjust to modern, but it sounds like all of the other living areas have their style and furnishings set.

It seems to me that taking this room modern doesn't work considering your traditional moldings, kitchen cabinetry, kitchen table and chairs, stair railings, fireplace surround, etc., etc. How about your bedroom? Could we move the red pieces into there and do that room with modern flair?

I'm sorry. I hope someone else will have better ideas for you. I like the choices that teacats and some of the other posters have mentioned, but those changes don't solve the problem of dissonance with the rest of the interior, some of which is visible to this room.

• les917
    13 years ago

I havent read what everyone has written, but I am sure you have gotten many great ideas - this place is super! Thanks for posting all the additional pix. Not sure what your budgetary restrictions might be, so I am just going to throw ideas out.

First, the paint color. Not sure how it reads in real life, but on my monitor it reads with a dull peach undertone. If painting is in the plan, I would stay in the beige family, but consider something with a warmer golden undertone (your instinct for some yellow, but more beige than yellow). I think it will work better with the red tones you love, as well as the flooring and the chocolate rug.

Next, a question. On the upper windows of the bay, do you want those covered all the time? Do they need to be covered most of the time because of sun issues? If so, I would think about roman shades to replace the white blinds you hate, done in the same fabric as the drapery that you would like to have below. It will give you cohesiveness, but keep those windows covered.

If you want them uncovered part of the time, you should look into blinds that work by remote control.

If you go with the romans, JC Penney would be a great starting point. They do custom work as well as ready to hang, and so that might give you some options. Also, I cant tell the dimensions of the windows, so I dont know for sure whether you will have to have custom up there.

Along with the romans above, I see moving the cornice up as high as you can while still covering the very top of the lower windows, and extending the length all the way to the outside edge of the wall space of the bow. This will allow you to have room for stack back of drapery panels on the outisde of each of the end windows. You could cover it in the same fabric as the drapery, or paint it to match the trim on the windows and the fireplace color. Then hang drapery panels under the cornice; 4 panels, one on each outside edge to cover the small windows, then one on each outside edge of the slider, as you have the sheers now, to cover the slider. You will have to hand open and close them, but if you hang them on rings of some kind, they should move easily.

I would stay with a drapery color that is somewhat close to the wall color. It would be tempting to have a lot of pattern there, but I think it might be overwhelming with all the windows, and the space being not huge. Something with some texture built in would be nice, tho.

Furniture - Keep the couch, and the upholstered tan chair, but give consideration to getting rid of the red chair and ottoman. Maybe they could go into the golf room as an accent, as I know often the plaids that get used in that decor have red in them. I think having the red couch and the red chair and ottoman makes the other chair look lost, and also takes away from the pow effect of the couch.

Instead, I would look for an upholstered chair in a pattern, something with the chocolate and perhaps touches of red. Something like this could be fun:

chameleon II

I think your tables are a bit too traditional for the space and the other furniture - they feel delicate. Something in black iron, as I believe someone else suggested, would be great, and glass tops would keep them from taking up too much visual space.

I would add in a large ottoman that could be used as a coffeetable or extra seating, but mostly for propping up feet! A chocolate microfiber or chenille would disappear against the rug, so again not take up so much visual space.

The broken sconce is a message. Cap off that sconce and hang your favorite picture there. That sconce seems out of place, while the other two make a nice pair flanking the doorway. Take an idea from your tables and get iron sconces, but something more modern in design.

Consider a sofa table behind the couch that might allow for placement of a lamp or two, and also feel more friendly looking in from the kitchen than does the back of the couch.

You are probably going to disagree, but I think now that you have painted out the fireplace, you need to do the built-in as well. That small area feels very busy. If you decide to paint it, I would also see if you could run the crown moulding that you see on the top of the cabinet all across the top of the opening, to unify the space.

Then paint that back wall red. Hang a great mirror, something in iron to compliment the blank black screen of the tv and the rest of the iron in the space.

Take the clock down, which you will do anyway when you raise the valance and drapery height,and hang that on another wall.

In the back corner where the broken sconce is, consider a pretty corner cabinet to balance the built in and bring some more height in, so that you dont end up with all the furniture in the room at one height, creating a horizon.

Then, collect the other great art you have and try it on the walls. With thesmaller pieces, try stacking or grouping them.

Add some print pillows in chocolate with touches of red on the leather couch (use down so that they squish and dont slide off), and perhaps a throw over the arm of the chenille chair.

I had thought about suggesting that you move the couch to in front of the slider, but I think with your TV positioned where it is, you need the couch to stay where it is now.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Gosh, after seeing more pix, I really do think that those JCP panels I suggested earlier would be perfect~
    can't you see that working well with soft gold painted walls???

• kiko_gw
    13 years ago

It seems like the valance chops up the room a bit. Do you like this look/style? I think it's dramatic:

{{gwi:1766838}}

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Boxer...you always have such great ideas for posters here, but sometimes it is hard to pull things together for ourselves, I think we all suffer that at times. My ideas are always way off base, but sharing them anyway...LOL.

Your home is absolutely beautiful and though the bones are rather traditional, you don't need to adhere to that style. You look like contemporary is the way you are heading in the family room, and your red couches are fabulous. I would get a red throw to place on the chair. I like your brown rug...why not paint your walls a soft chocolate brown. I like that curtain style kiko posted...your room is high and can handle that. I like your table lamps, but agree that the tables in that room are not a good fit. Maybe a large round black metal coffee table with some matching side tables. With the height of your room you could do a fairly large grouping of art above your fireplace. I also like your family pictures and red table decor items.

I think once you make this room comfortable for you and your family, you could move onto the breakfast nook. There are so many great ideas posted here, I am sure you will find something to enhance the beauty of your home. :-)

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful home with a pesky room that just seems to lack focus. A few things really stand out to me: the fireplace is really kinda dinky in that space. You need at least a big piece of artwork. Use one of yours, and frame it magnificently, frame it like you mean it!
    Either work in the color of the wood built-ins or paint it. Create a little vignette near the fireplace -- somewhere that you would actually go sit a and read a book, using a big comfy chair and a table. How about a portrait of your dogs over your fireplace?
    Which brings me to your end tables. They are simply too small and too colonial looking. The window treatments, too wimpy. Kiko is right on the money with the panels she posted. You need to embrace the space and make a decision. I also believe that the red couches are do-able, but I would soften them with luxurious throw pillows in fabrics opposite of leather (faux fur, silk, linen, etc).
    I would try a sofa table behind the couch which may make it less "floaty" in the room.
    The wall color is also off. I liken it to going outside on a really gray day. You can't help but feel blah. A color will warm the space, make it more personal and allow you to keep your bold furniture.
    You should also reconsider your art. Sometimes all it needs is a spectacular frame.

The pic above was taken before the panels were hung. They are a similar pattern to the ones Kiko showed. And, they don't necessarily have to go to the top.

An example of just warm colors, focus on FP

I was also thinking that if you keep the red sofa, maybe change the window treatment in your kitchen to something that has red in it.
    And, I thought a game table in the room. A dark wood w/ a checker board painted on it.
    Anyway, hope this helps and you truely have a beautiful home.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

There is more than one kind of modern, and if it's 'you', you could go for a more organic modern look that brings in more neutral colors and organic materials like woven blinds, etc. Color inspiration could be Burberry plaid, with tan walls (without the peach undertone, at least that is on my monitor). Basically, the bones of the room would be neutral (dark floor, tan walls, white trim), with the red furniture as the design star. Dark wood floor stain would unify the room with the others nearby. Woven roman shades on the windows, with drapery similar to the color of the walls would be soothing. Painting the built-in white would also look more cohesive. Thats the big picture. If that were done, then you could focus on details. For example, a coffee table might be a useful addition. And I see several small interesting art pieces that might look good hung together vertically, for more impact. Also, since the window to the deck is such a focal point, Id arrange the deck furniture, planters, etc. to look as good from the inside as possible.

Burberry plaid inspriration:

Woven blinds and drapes:

• User
    13 years ago

boxerpups-

As was said upthread, not sure what your budget is, so I may be way off base here. First, I would change the wall color, it reads peachy on my monitor too, and it's too "small" for the drama of your space. The good news is that your red furniture works perfectly in that space, you just need a stronger wall color to help it fill the room. My personal motto is "say nope to taupe" (no offense to those who love taupe, it's just not for me), and your room is no exception. Since you said previously that it's a happy space, I would play on one of the turquoise blues in your art and paint the walls blue. Perhaps BM Whipple Blue, Buckland Blue, Marlboro Blue (all HC, so honoring the other rooms) or BM Blue Toile, paired with creamy white trim (or, if you're feeling brave, black, black trim is my new love).

I'm not a fan of window treatments in general, and like naked windows, so other than saying let them go naked, I have no suggestions.

I agree that you need bolder tables, but I would not do black iron, I think it's very trendy and would not work in your space, I would haunt CL or junque shops for some vintage pieces; dark stained oak or even painted tables, with need sturdy, thick legs to ground them in the tall space.

I would beef up the fireplace somehow, it needs more oomph and to be taller, it looks puny in comparison to the scale of the room, even painting it a vibrant, contrasting color, say a yellow, purple or green, a color from your contemporary art that will make the it "fit" better in the space.

Finally, I don't think you have to be a slave to traditional decor cuz of the outside of your house, someone upthread said people worry about dissonance, and they are correct, we all worry about "decorating dissonance" (if you will). But the older, and bolder, I get, the more I like decorating dissonance, it keeps it interesting and challenging.

You have a beautiful room and home, and please take these suggestions as merely random thoughts, thrown out with no thought to budget or your sentimental attachment to items.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First a HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU. Omg I can not
    imagine my life with GW. Everyone here is beyond kind
    helpful supportive and understanding. NO one has ever
    judged me on GW. And this was hard for me to post images
    of my home. Insecurity is my middle name.

I wish I could change this room this second. Like
    betwitched. Nose twitch done!!!
    I have no magic. I am going to really study all your
    suggestions and implement them. Stir the pot and see what
    works and does not. Truly GW is full of amazing minds,
    voices, ideas, inspiration and supportive people.

Les917,
    Only in the heat of the summer do we like those windows
    covered. We have electric controlled blinds. Right now
    they are closed but I love them open.
    Everything you describe is exactly as I have been
    thinking I plan to paint the rest of the built ins
    White. I have thought about moving the cornice all the
    way up. It should have been done years ago.
    But the red sofa may be going to another room along with
    the chair. My DH has suggested we either buy new leather
    pieces for this room or we move brown leather from the
    basement up to this room. We use the red in the kids media
    room and figure out that space later.

We could move the TV to one of those adjustable wall
    mounts. My best friend said I need to reconfigure the
    fireplace mantle and mount the tv there. I need to
    convince DH on this one.

Loribee,
    YES, I love stripes too.

Kiko,
    Yes, I do like the drama in those drapes. And I love the
    cute pooch on the porch.

Vampiressrn,
    Wow, I feel so honored to have you respond to me. I think
    your style is amazing. I read all your posts like a groupie.

I love your posts. I do like brown. I used to have my
    kitchen painted this medium brown color called Camel coat.

The slight problem with the brown walls is do I paint
    everything? Or only the brown on the wall with the built
    ins or maybe three walls, all the walls move open to other
    areas. Something to consider.

Paintergirl,
    Great ideas. I do need to embrace the space. I need to
    frame more art. I rarely paint my dogs. Too Hallmarky. I
    love those images you suggested. Especially the paint
    color. Notice how much in the image above.

Gwbr54,
    Thank you for your sweeet words.
    I get very confused with the terms modern and contemporary.
    I wish the term Modern did not connote the style in the
    70s with plastic, metal and clean lines. Or maybe I am a
    complete idiot and the term is Modernism and
    I am getting that confused. Send me back to class.

And is it possible that we change our style as we grow up?
    Which means some of this
    rubbish about me was bought with the understanding I was
    a French provincial girl. I could flush that style. It is
    not me at all. But the table in the kitchen so French, I
    like it painted white.

Organic modern or contemporary look? I like it. I have
    never been a fan of Bamboo or even natural fibers but the
    images you posted could work for me. I love the chunky
    candle sticks the rich rug and the drapes over shades. It
    is ironic you have the Ethan Allen image, years ago my DH
    and I got into a huge fight because I wanted EA sofa and
    chairs for the same room. He felt is was too fussy, This
    coming from a guy who would be happy eating off a dog
    crate.

SandyP,
    I agree more in the fireplace area. Definitely need to
    hone in on that space with drama
    My budget is maybe a few $1000, yes I am limited in this
    frail economy. I have sentimental only to the vases and
    the vase picture. I could toss out everything. Including
    the floors. But that would be a $100,000 budget.
    Gosh, I wish I were a Rockerfeller or Kennedy or even
    Gates.

I do not like black rod iron, never did and never will. I
    am searching today for some better tables. As for Naked
    windows. I love naked veggies, never thought about the
    windows. I think for this room to come together the windows
    will be a key to pulling the room together.

Ideas so far and feel free to add any more...

Option 1: Sell the red and repaint the kitchen. Buy
    something in brown leather, bag the hideous end tables and
    put up drapes from ceiling to floor. Repaint the built Ins
    too.

Option 2: Keep the red sofa, paint the walls, , bag the
    hideous end tables and put up drapes from ceiling to
    floor. Repaint the built In.

Option 3: Get lazy and hire someone which in turn angers
    the DH as he thinks I should be able to do this. It would
    anger my oldest daughter as she says I am constantly
    changing all the rooms in the house I would need to hire a
    designer on retainer. And that could only happen if my
    last name were Rockefeller.

Rooms I love and maybe I could make my own, but how?

Yes, Plants, Trees that is it I can see this could help
    along with repainting the walls to a possible white
    color...
    The rug helps too but I have a similar rug.

I think I even saw chairs like these at Marshalls
    I like what they did with making a corner conversation
    area. I like the drama on the wall. I might be able to
    borrow these ideas.. Why does this room work?

Could I paint one wall like this?
    Or is this a bad, bad decor plan?

I like these colors but the wing back chair is not me,
    I wonder if I use more crisp white with navy blue could
    that be a direction. And the kitchen could
    be painted the navy blue... would this work with the
    dark floors?

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Before you buy anything, why don't you try painting the room white including the bookcase molding and stripping out the traditional tables, brown chair, lamps, black valance etc. Put down your oriental with just the red sofa, chair and ottoman. If you like the look, then you could start to look for one side table and maybe another chair.

• anrol
    13 years ago

Another suggestion from me would be to paint or stain the legs of the red furniture darker or paint them black. I think that would ground the red furniture better and it would look fantastic! It would also tie in better with the dark flooring in the background. I am from Canada and I think that our BM colours are different from yours. If you go to a BM store ask them to look up a Canadian colour called Rocky Road CC-470. It would be perfect for your room. It is a very rich looking neutral and I think your room could handle it. (I call it a perfect neutral and not too caramel colour) BM Flagstone CC-516 or Cabot Trail CC-480 would be great for an accent wall with the Rocky Road. Try to get some samples. These colours look stunning and very rich with reds! I haven't posted a lot but I am an avid reader of GW and everybody seems so helpful here!

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

This is coming from someone who loves contemporary .... and I think it would work. If you went crisp white, navy and red, turquoise (similar to your outside umbrella) would look wonderful and in keeping with your clean, contemporary style.

With all the help you are getting, you will have a lot of ideas to ponder!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

I am in S. CT and we deal with these kinds of spaces all the time. The beauty of them is their size, the tragedy is, you guessed it, their size. Taking it one step at a time is the right approach. You have gathered some really good advise here (would have already cost you hundreds had you hired a designer).
    That's funny about the dog portraits being too corny. I paint a lot of animals for customers...as portraits, in murals and even on pillows. Please, don't tell them it's corny!! LOL!!
    Looking forward to the progression.

• dawnbc
    13 years ago

Boxer, I can hardly wait to see this room once you finish. I love the look of the drapes that kiko posted. I have seen that done in many of the lottery show homes and it will definitely make a feature of that wall.

I like option 2.

Also it might help you if you take everything out of the room that will not be staying. It will help you see things better.

Good luck and have fun!!