SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedg2

Help! I need some advice with my seedlings wilting.

It's the first time I decided to grow some plants on my own. I bought the seeds online and did everything correctly - scarified some that needed to be, soaked some, stratified some. It seems I acquired these skills perfectly. It resulted in very good and fast germination.
I bought a plastic propagator with holes and a lid, started them indoors on January 2. I have them in front of the north-faced window through the day and on the radiator (instead of heating mat) through the evening hours under a light. It's a led light bulb (5 W) and it's very bright. I turn it off late at night. It seemed like seedlings couldn't be more 'happy'. Many of them germinated and they grew quickly. These are:

5/5 seeds of leonotis leonurus which germinated in just three days.

6 seeds of caesalpinia pulcherrima; 2 of them have 2 pairs of the first leaves, one is still germinating, don't know what happened to the other 3.

6 seeds of echium candicans; 4 of them are about 2 cm high and look healthy.

Many seeds of callirhoe involucrata; 4 of them are currently growing, one was sprouting until yesterday.

some seeds of gaura lindheimeri; 4 of them are growing now.

Strelitzia reginae hasn't come out yet, and asclepias curassavica seeds seem to not have been viable.

Dalea purpurea which I sow in a plastic pot because I ran out of space in the propagator. I also think there was almost 100 % germination rate.

I used a plastic syringe to carefully water them every to every other day. I didn't let them dry out.

But suddenly: some seeds of dalea purpurea started to wilt and had sort of unhealthy look. I googled and found about damping off disease. I didn't really see any mould or fungi but I decided to try sprinkling the soil with cinnamon powder and cut off with watering. I also sprinkled cinnamon on the soil of seedlings in the propagator, just in case. As it didn't look to me like a damping off but more of a root problem, I suspect I was watering them too frequently and they didn't feel like developing roots. As I pulled some daleas out, their stem looked healthy but almost no roots.

Now that I quit watering there are caesalpinia seedlings which look very wilted but the stem is healthy, leonotus seedlings are growing a first pair of true leaves but otherwise are sort of leggy and their cotyledons are wilted but not the true leaves, echium seems fine, the youngest gaura seed wilted, callirhoe's leaves aren't so hard anymore... It seems to me like a story of a success turned into my worst nightmare. I have checked them daily and have done everything to fit their needs.

So here's what I decided to do: I'll gradually stop with watering as it is obvious I exaggerated, and in the meantime I put propagator without the lid on the radiator (it's never hot but warm) under a light and I'll make the excessive water evaporate. My question is: is it a right way to do it? I really don't want to lose my seedlings. Because at the moment they really aren't looking healthy but I think it's because they are shocked and not so wet anymore. Will they do fine?

Please help, I am so desperate at the moment.

Comments (13)