SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gangrenousblackthumb

Serious Newbie Needing Some Advice!

Hi All!

I am very new to gardening. Well, I should rephrase that. I have gardened numerous times which always - ALWAYS - resulted in the death of my plants. I have never been able to keep anything alive... except oregano for some reason!

Anyway, this year I decided I wanted a vegetable garden and that I was going to do it right! I started a ton of seedlings assuming that I would kill a bunch. So far, I've kept them alive by getting tips on the net. That could change at any moment. I am known to both under and over-water!

Here is what I have growing right now: Cherry Tomatoes, Jalapeno Peppers, Eggplant, Bell Pepper, Basil, and Rosemary.

I have a small area (L-shaped) for planting out on our back patio which includes a 16' by 22" patch of dirt with about another 2' by 22" at the bottom of the "L." By recommendation by a friend who is highly successful with gardening, I've purchased organic compost as well as some bone/feather meal stuff to add to my dirt. My dirt already contains many California Slender Salamander which I've been told by a biologist friend means healthy soil?

75% of the dirt gets direct sunlight for about 2 hours a day at this point (that should increase as we move into summer). A portion gets partial sun. Another 3' portion gets no sun. The rest of the patio gets probably 6 hours of sun a day?

Questions:

1. Any recommendations for prepping the soil for my veggies?

2. Which veggies would do okay in pots or other containers on the patio instead of in-ground?

3. Are there any plants I should not put together?

4. Are the standing tomato planters any good for indeterminate cherry tomatoes? We have a topsy turvy and I saw this one on Amazon that I was thinking of buying: http://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-6510TG-DS-Compact-Upside-Down-Garden/dp/B0035XQ2N8/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1301367703&sr=8-18

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! I apologize for the length of this message. I have SO many questions! All my plants are currently inside, although I brought them outside for some real sun (FINALLY!) today. I've been rotating them on a sun lamp since I started them.

If it makes a difference, I live in Silicon Valley which I believe is Zone 9.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Comments (10)