SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littleetoile

Are Marvin windows hard to open?

littleetoile
4 months ago

Hi there! I am adding in a brand new window (i.e., cutting into the siding) as part of my kitchen renovation. My designer recommended Marvin windows, and strongly encouraged me to not do vinyl windows even though the rest of the house has vinyl (pre-existing from when I bought the house).

I went to a local building supplier to try the floor models of the Marvin windows and I was shocked and heartbroken by how hard they are to open. I’m a petite woman, and I was having to use both hands and really put my full weight into opening both the fiberglass gliders and the double-hung. (Obviously the casements were easy, but those require internal screens and I’d like to avoid that unsightliness if I can.) There’s no way I’ll be able to lean across the counter to fully open either of these styles. Eeks!

I’m confused because Marvin windows seem to be best-in-class, and all the discussions of them on here have glowing reviews and recommendations. Yet the only time I’ve had such difficulty opening windows are in old homes where the framing is no longer in line with the tracks of the windows!

So, my questions:

1) Where’s the disconnect beteeen the normal high marks for Marvin against what I experienced? Is it possible the floor models were installed in a weird way that makes them especially hard to open? (They were functioning as internally-facing windows of employees offices, if that’s helpful to know.) Or that these office floor-model windows are not opened regularly enough that they’re broken in or something? Seems like if anything, floor models should be the EASIEST to open!

For those that have Marvin windows installed in your home, do you find them easy to open?

2) Since the install makes such a difference, any recs for what to ask/look out for with potential installers to determine if they’ll do a good job? I’m a bit in over my head here!

3) Lastly, should I be concerned about the sash of the pre-existing vinyl window in my kitchen on the adjoining wall not color-matching the fiberglass window? The Marvin rep said the vinyl window sashes are always a bright white, whereas the fiberglass windows are more off-white.

Thanks so, so much in advance! This forum is so incredibly helpful!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!