SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December 2018, Week 3

This month is flying by! We're halfway through and this probably is the most hectic week as folks try to finish their Christmas preparations and get ready for their holiday gatherings.

I have no garden news to report. Well, there is the corner of the dining room that has six pots of amaryllis bulbs in various stages of growth. The only one that has bloomed so far has double white flowers and it is breathtakingly gorgeous. The first flower is fully open and the second bloom on the same stalk is about to open. I have it sort of leaning against the wall so the tall, now top-heavy stalk won't snap. I've had that happen before, and when it did, I just trimmed off the edge of the stalk, put it in a vase and it did fine---eventually opening all 4 flowers.

I won't even try to come up with a garden chore list because none of us are doing garden chores this week, are we? If you are going to do garden chores, everything on last week's list still would be on this week's list....if a list existed for this week. I suppose if we correlated indoor live Christmas decor with a chore list of things we need to do for them, this might be the chore list: if you have a live tree, be sure you remember to regularly add water to the tree stand's water reservoir. And, of course, there's the endless chore of sweeping up evergreen needles as indoor Christmas trees shed them. Remember that you can toss those needles onto a mulched bed or you can put them on your compost pile. If you have indoor, potted Christmas plants, whether Christmas cacti, poinsettias, cyclamen, bulbs for forcing, etc., be sure to keep them well-watered (but not over-watered) and away from forced-air HVAC vents that would dry them out too quickly. If you want to keep your poinsettia alive after Christmas, remember that the plants need sunlight, or strong indoor lighting, to keep growing and to stay healthy all winter. In the spring, you can pot them up into a larger pot and put outdoors, or can plant them in the ground (but you'll have to repot them in the autumn to bring them indoors). With amaryllis bulbs, even after they bloom and the blooms have faded, I try to get the plants good light after I've removed the flower stalks. They need to keep growing for a few months in order to accumulate energy that will be stored in the bulbs in order to produce flowers next year.

Sunshine returned yesterday along with a little warmth and the wind finally stopped blowing so it felt pretty good for a December day in the afternoon at least, once the morning chill was gone. We went Christmas shopping with the two granddaughters yesterday (they gave me good ideas for gifts for their mom), ate lunch out, spent the afternoon playing at home, and then went to the VFD holiday party in the evening hours, finishing up the night at home watching a Christmas movie with hot chocolate and popcorn. It was such a full day and we're all really tired this morning. I'm sure all of you are having equally hectic days this weekend and hope you find yourselves in merry holiday spirits.

With most of the Christmas work behind me, all I intend to do this coming week is a little holiday baking, and the wrapping of the gifts. This will be a less hectic week than last week. I think I might find time to sort through the seed box, make my grow list for 2019, and order seeds as needed. I sort of thought I might get that done last week, but the decision to make salsa left little time available for gardening planning. Usually I've already ordered seeds by now and drop them into my stocking on Christmas Eve. I'm further behind than usual this year in that regard, but I also think that there's so much in my seed box that needs to be used that I won't be ordering a great amount of seeds anyway. I've been trying harder the last few years to use whatever seeds I have before accumulating more. I need to remember to order my Dixondale onions soon because onion-planting time will be here before we know it.

I noticed this week that the goldfinches showed up at the finch feeders. I guess this means they've found and consumed all the flower and grass seeds out in the yard, garden and surrounding pastures. I need to remember to buy more thistle seed for them today as the go through that stuff like crazy in cold weather. I hang the finch feeders just outside the kitchen window, in more or less the same spots occupied by hummingbird feeders in summer. That way, whoever is working at the kitchen sink and counter can look out the window and enjoy watching the goldfinches. Also, it keeps me on my toes and helps me keep the feeders filled since I can watch them each day as they are emptying out. There's tons and tons of other birds of all kinds. I always mention the cardinals, doves and blue jays but we have lots of sparrows, chickadees, wrens and others as well. There's been quite a few woodpeckers though I am not hearing them as much now. Granted, I don't spend as much time outdoors in the cold weather as I do in the other months, so that might be a part of it.

A big topic of conversation among local folks at the VFD party last night was how bad the coyotes are this year and, oddly, some of the men complained that they didn't get a deer this year. I kept my mouth shut but what I was thinking to myself was that they aren't seeing deer because all the deer are at our house. I'm only half-kidding about that. We are feeding a ton of deer, including some nice-sized bucks. A family friend of ours whose grandparents' property sits just west of our back property line always gets a deer coming off our property and onto theirs, and it always is a really nice size, which delights him. We joke about how the deer had better be a nice size since we've been feeding them so well. Several weeks ago there was a huge wild hog dead near the bridge over I-35 that all of us must cross to get to Hwy 77 to drive to town. While we occasionally have wild hogs here near our homes, no one is happy to see a huge one like that roaming the neighborhood. We all assume it was struck by a vehicle.

Today is, I hope, my last grocery shopping trip before Christmas. I've made a list and am hoping I haven't left anything off the list because I'd really like to avoid being in any store next weekend. I'm sure it will be crazy with last minute Christmas shopping and all that stuff. When we lived in the city, I always loved going shopping and being in the stores any day of the week, but the longer we live in the country and the more used I have become to a quiet, rural lifestyle, the more I absolutely hate all the big crowds and crowded parking lots at pretty much any store. I find malls a nightmare---just too many people, and lines that are too long, and parking that is too crazy. Tim's solution is to do all his holiday shopping at TSC, which isn't really such a bad thing, I guess, but my solution is to do most of the holiday shopping online so UPS can bring it to us.

Have a great week everyone.

Dawn

Comments (21)