SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

November 2018, Week 3, We Are Thankful

As we begin Thanksgiving week, I am thinking of all the things I'm grateful for, particularly in this context, the gardening things.

Apart from the obvious that I'm grateful our family is well and everyone is happy and healthy, I am grateful that this year's garden produced well despite the horrendous drought we suffered here throughout the Spring and Summer months. I'm also extremely grateful that the record-setting rainfall we had in September and October put a firm end to the drought. I'm grateful for all the veggies, herbs and flowers we have been able to enjoy for many months, and for the preserved bounty we will be enjoying all winter.

As we continue to lose the few remaining folks our family has left from my parents' generation (the famed Greatest Generation who fought World War II), I'm grateful for the ones we have left as well as the ones who have gone on to a better place. I'm grateful I grew up in a family firmly rooted in agriculture, although by the time I was born, only two uncles and my grandfather still made a living from farming and ranching. I'm grateful I had many aunts, uncles, my grandparents, parents and neighbors who raised vegetables, herbs, flowers and fruit in my childhood and throughout most of my adult life, and for everything they taught me along the way. I'm grateful I had grandparents with chickens and an uncle who raised turkeys and guineas, because it gave me a very early appreciate of raising poultry that remains with me to this very day. Back in the days when there was no internet, the learning curve in gardening was much harder and much slower than it is now when we have info available on the world wide web 24/7 just a few clicks and a Google search away, so I'm grateful I had many living mentors who showed me how to garden just by doing it themselves and letting me tag along, help, and learn from them while doing so. I'm grateful that they had gardening books I could pick up and read, even though most books on gardening back then were written purely for a national audience and weren't that relevant to those of us in hot portions of the south and southwest. Just imagine....my grandfather was trench composting in his veggie garden in the 1960s back when most non-gardening folks (and many gardening types) didn't even know what composting was. My dad had a compost pile back then too, and even though I really didn't understand as a child why he gathered leaves and piled them up in one corner of the back yard all winter and threw produce-type kitchen "trash" on top of his leafy compost pile, I get it now. So, you see, my love for using leaves to enrich the garden soil is deep-seated and a true reminder that there's really nothing new under the sun.

I'm grateful that I started reading Mother Earth News and Organic Gardening magazines back when both were considered way out there in la la land, and when more conventional, mainstream folks considered them to be publications for the "hippie" generation. I'm grateful both of those magazines steered me away from chemical use before I even had a garden of my own, so that I never used toxic pesticides on our property where we lived when I was beginning to garden on my own as an adult. I'm grateful that I was president of our high school's garden club (shocked we even had one, but feel like it came out of the new Earth Day that began when I was in middle school) because it made me realize that my peers even back then looked at me and understood me and knew I was one of those people who had to be growing something all the time. It probably wasn't especially cool to be the president of the Garden Club, but I didn't care about being cool (I was not one of the cool kids in high school, and I didn't mind that I wasn't) and I did care about gardening. See, nothing has changed!

I'm grateful I live in a country where we are free to grow what we want (for the most part) where we want it and how we want to grow it, at least as long as we don't live in a community ruled by an iron fist belonging to an HOA. I'm grateful to live in a rural area where having a garden is considered essential to happiness and no one looks at you like you're crazy when you're out slaving away in the mud and cold wind in February and March getting your cool season crops planted. I'm grateful I get to hear the sounds of nature every day, to listen to the cows and the horses, the goats and the sheep, the birds and the buzzing of the bees.

I'm grateful for all of you here who form our wonderful network and community of regional gardeners. I am grateful we have each other's friendship, camaraderie, sympathy and empathy, and that we can share the joy (and heartbreak) of gardening and life with one another year-round.

I'm grateful for warm tomatoes dripping with juice from the garden in Spring, Summer and Autumn. I'm grateful for potatoes and onions that can be dug and stored and used for many months. I'm grateful for the peppers that spice up our lives, and the sweet ears of corn we eat dripping with butter. I'm grateful for the garden greens, crisp and crunchy and so deliciously fresh, and for the garden herbs that enhance every dish we prepare. I'm grateful for wild plum jelly and fresh peaches just off the trees, and pecans we can gather in fall and winter. I'm grateful for armloads of flowers brought indoors to arrange in vases, and for the many more flowers left growing uncut outdoors so everyone else can enjoy those as well. I'm grateful for the huge shade trees, planted as tiny foot-tall saplings dug from our woodland, that now shade our yard and home. I'm grateful for the entire web of life in the garden, from lady bugs and green lacewings, to turtles and frogs and toads, birds and butterflies, and even the little nonvenomous garden snakes.

What are y'all grateful for in 2018?

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you all for sharing the gardening adventure year-round.

Dawn

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor