SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloebud

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

chloebud
5 years ago

I've been making this cake ever since I saw it in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food some years ago. It's so simple to make, and the finished cake is really good...and pretty...kind of jewel-like. Gotta love it when that happens with simple baking. I like fresh cranberries for this since I think you get better caramelizing. Also, for me, frozen berries increased the baking time a bit. I took this photo after making the cake for a small holiday gathering a few years ago.

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

From Everyday Food: Sweetened whipped cream is perfect with this slightly spicy dessert. The topping is made by baking cranberries in a layer over sugar and spices in the bottom of the pan. As the cake bakes, the sugar caramelizes, forming a rich syrup.

8 T. butter, room temp.
1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1 egg, room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 with rack in center (be sure to preheat for at least 20 minutes). Rub bottom and sides of a an 8-inch round cake pan with 2 T. of the butter.

In small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the sugar with the cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Spread cranberries in a single layer on top.

With electric mixer, cream remaining 6 T. butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix until well combined. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients to butter mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk, until well combined.

Spoon batter over cranberries in pan and smooth top. Place pan on baking sheet; bake cake until toothpick in center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 20-25 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake several times; invert onto rimmed platter and tap bottom of pan firmly with fingertips. Don't worry if any berries remain in the pan. Just remove them and add to the cake.

Comments (16)