ann_t
11 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Cookalong #23 ------CRANBERRIES

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 21:18

Jim has picked our new cookalong ingredient:

CRANBERRIES

At first I thought about how it might be hard to find fresh cranberries at this time of year. The I thought about dried cranberries and how I use them all year long.
Please don't hesitate to post about fresh though, it will be nice to have the recipes all set to go. Cranberry lovers also know to freeze the fresh ones when they are plentiful for year around use.

So for the next two weeks....pull out those favorite recipes that use any form of cranberries.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #22 ---------- EGGPLANT
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #23 ------CRANBERRIES
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 21:49

We had TJs dried cranberries in our salad tonight.

Here is a link that might be useful: All the other Cooking Links
o

Posted by yasou (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 22:10

This is my all time favorite. I got it at a local cooking class several years ago. (I don't know the original source)
At the holidays I make mini tarts for my dessert table.

CRANBERRY CRUMB TART

Cream Cheese Pastry
4 oz cream cheese, cut into small cubes
½ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 cups flour

Measure flour into the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Scatter the cold butter pieces over the flour and pulse until the mixture has the consistency of cornmeal. Add cream cheese pieces and process until dough comes together and forms a ball. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or freeze until needed. Makes one 9-10 inch tart shell.

Filling
3 cups cranberries (approx. one bag)
6 Tbsp sugar

Topping
6 Tbsp cold butter
½ cup + 2 Tbsp flour
¾ cup + 2 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 400 °. Roll out dough and place in a tart pan with removable bottom making sure to press dough so that it fits snugly against the sides. Trim edges to top of rim. Place in freezer for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and place tart pan on a sheet pan. Line the crust with parchment paper or foil (if you use foil, place shiny side down) and fill the liner with pie weights or beans. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove liner and weights and continue baking an additional 5 minutes (dough will no longer be translucent but not yet golden brown).
While crust is baking, measure flour and sugar for topping into the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Cut butter in small cubes and scatter over the mixture, process until crumbly, then set aside.

Combine cranberries and sugar for filling. Set aside.

After crust has been partially baked, remove it from oven and fill with cranberry sugar mixture and sprinkle with topping mixture (it will look like too much topping, but use it all). Lower oven to 350° and continue baking tart until topping is golden and cranberries bubble, about 40 minutes.

Note: Both the dough and topping can be made ahead and kept either in the refrigerator or freezer until needed. Baked tart can be made ahead and frozen.

Serve at room temperature.

Oly

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 22:57

OMG Jim LOL! YOu must have read my mind. I was pondering what a good ingredient would be today and I thought "cranberries" because I have three bags in the freezer that I have to use up to make room for summer berries. I have a great cranberry cherry crumble that you could use both frozen cranberries and frozen cherries with. Luckily I learned my lesson last year and bought up a bunch on sale right after the holidays so I would have them year round! Plus I love the dried ones in oatmeal cookies, which I am planning on making this week. Plus I think the dried ones are WAY better than raisins in scones.

o

Posted by beanthere_dunthat (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 23:10

TJ's also has cranberries in the freezer section, which makes me happy because I love cranberries.

I got this from the New Bedford nespaper ages ago.
I use it to stuff squash.

CRANBERRY WILD RICE
• 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
• 21/2 cups chicken broth
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries
• 1/4 cup golden raisins
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Rinse and drain rice. Place in saucepan and add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in cranberries, raisins and butter. Spoon into a greased 11/2 quart baking dish.
Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Add almonds and fluff with fork.
Yield: six to eight servings.

o

Posted by jimster (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 23:13

Wow! That was a quick start.

I've already learned something important -- freeze cranberries when they are abundant. Thanks, lpink. Make photos.

Unfortunately , for many of us there may be no fresh or berries available at this time. That calls for ingenuity, of which there is plenty on this forum.

It's fair game to use any of the processed cranberry products as an ingredient in your recipe -- canned sauce (jelly or whole berry), dried berries, juice, whatever. Cranberries are versatile. (End of CC Chamber of Commerce announcement.)

Jim

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 23:22

When we do bus trips as a fund raiser for our Friends of the Library group, we always serve juice and muffins or coffee cake on the way if we leave early in the morning (wine, cheese and crackers on the way home). This is our most popular coffee cake. I have often made it for our Christmas morning brunch too.

CRANBERRY-STREUSEL COFFEECAKE

PRALINE STREUSEL:
3/4 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened (1/2 stick)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

CAKE:
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
4 cups flour
1 pint (2 cups) sour cream

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 10 inch tube pan. Line bottom with waxed paper. Grease paper.

Stir streusel ingredients with a fork in until well blended and made into crumbs.

Cake: In a large bowl, with electric mixer on high speed, beat sugar, butter, baking powder, baking soda, and salt for 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy. With mixer on medium speed, beat in vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, until blended. Stir in the cranberries, then alternately stir in flour and sour cream in 3 additions until blended.

Pour 5 cups of batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Scatter 3/4 cup streusel over the batter, leaving a 1/2 inch wide border around edge and center hole of pan uncovered. Repeat layers with remaining batter and streusel.

Put a piece of foil over the top of cake pan but leave edges loose so air can circulate under it. Bake for 1/2 hour, then remove foil. Bake an additional 1/2 hour or until top is golden and a pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. If it starts to get too brown but center of cake is not done, put the foil back on.

Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Run knife around edges and tube; invert cake onto rack. Remove waxed paper and place right side up on serving plate. Serves 18-20.

o

Posted by monaw (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 23:40

Wow! I'm loving this! I LOVE cranberries and those recipes look fab!

Here is one I make often:

CRANBERRY-NUT BREAD

We prefer sweet, mild pecans in this bread, but walnuts can be substituted. Resist the urge to cut into the bread while it is hot out of the oven; the texture improves as it cools, making it easier to slice. To toast pecans, heat griddle over medium heat. Add pecans, chopped coarse; toast, shaking pan frequently, until nuts are fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest from 1 large orange
2/3 cup buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted, plus extra for greasing pan
1 large egg , beaten lightly
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups cranberries (about 6 ounces), chopped coarse
1/2 cup toasted pecans , chopped coarse
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease bottom of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Stir together orange juice, zest, buttermilk, butter, and egg in small bowl. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl. Stir liquid ingredients into dry with rubber spatula until just moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and pecans. Do not overmix.

2. Scrape batter into loaf pan and spread with rubber spatula into corners of pan. Bake 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool at least 1 hour before serving.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE DRIED CRANBERRIES:

I bought this 4 lb box on Amazon a couple of weeks ago and they are the best we've had!

Very reasonable too compared to grocery store prices! Very fresh.

o

Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 0:11

Here is something I created and posted on a recipe site a couple of years ago under the name Cranberry Mimosas, where it received favorable reviews.

CAPE COD MIMOSAS

Fill wine or champagne glasses about 1/3 full of chilled cranberry juice, keeping in mind an allowance for head space.

Top up glassses with chilled champagne.

Adjust the proportions to your taste. This may require some experimentation in advance. Sometimes sacrifices must be made in the interest of fine dining. ;-) Cranberry Mimosas are a colorful and refreshing aperitifs which are appropriate for holiday meals; Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day.

Jim

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 0:23

Jim - this is another very tasty variation!

Poinsettia Cocktail

Ingredients:
•1/2 oz Cointreau or triple sec
•Champagne
•3 oz cranberry juice

Preparation:
1.Chill all of the ingredients beforehand.
2.Pour the Cointreau and cranberry juice into a chilled Champagne flute.
3.Stir well.
4.Top with Champagne.

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 0:39

LOL, this is a fun ingredient at this time of year!
I am another that always has a few bags of "fresh" cranberries in the freezer.

Free Image Hosting at

Cranberry Walnut Tart

Sweet pastry dough

3 large eggs
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries (7 oz; thawed if frozen)
1 cup chopped walnuts (1/4 lb)

Special equipment: a 10- to 11-inch round tart pan (1 inch deep) with a removable bottom; pie weights or raw rice

Make shell:
Roll out dough into a 13-inch round (1/8 inch thick) on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin and fit into tart pan. Trim edge of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, then fold overhang inward and press against side of pan to reinforce edge. Lightly prick bottom of shell all over with a fork, then chill 30 minutes.

Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 425°F. Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights.
Bake until pastry is set and pale golden on rim, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights and bake shell until pale golden all over, 5 to 10 minutes more. Transfer shell in pan to a rack.

Make filling:

Move oven rack to middle position and reduce oven temperature to 350°F.

Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth, then stir in cranberries and walnuts.

Pour filling into shell and bake tart until filling is set and golden, 40 to 45 minutes. (If pastry edge darkens before tart is done, cover edge with a pie shield or foil.) Cool completely in pan on rack.

Cooks' notes:
• Tart can be baked 1 day ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.
• For a more unusual presentation, you can make the tart in an 11- by 8-inch rectangular fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Sweet Pastry Dough

1-1/3 c all purpose flour
2 T sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c cold, unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large egg yolk
1-1/2 T ice water

Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Blend in butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (pea-sized) butter lumps. Beat together egg yolk and water with a fork and stir into flour misture until well combined.

Gently knead mixture in bowl with floured hands just until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 4-5 times more. Form dough into a ball, then flatten into a 5-inch disk. Chill, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, at least an hour.

Cook’s note: Dough can be chilled up to 2 days.
Makes enough dough for one 10-11 inch tart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have never been able to figure out who posted this originally. It is one of my favorite salads, tho.

Party Pear Salad

4 c. mixed greens
2 pears
1/2 c. craisins
1/2 c. toasted walnuts or pecans

Dressing:

2 T. white wine vinegar or Balsamic
2 T. Sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

For dressing, combine vinegar and sugar; whisk oil into mixture and add salt and pepper. Set aside.
Wash and thinly slice pears, leaving skin on. Place into dressing mixture to retain color until ready to serve. Add craisins to soften. Place 1 cup of lettuce on each plate, top with dressing and fruit mixture, sprinkle with nuts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And finally, this recipe of Gina's. It is soooooo good!

Cranberry Citrus Marmalade
==========================================
Ingredients:
1 grapefruit
1 orange
2 1/2 cups water
3 cups fresh cranberries
1 3/4 oz powdered fruit pectin
6 1/2 cup sugar (I only used 4 1/2 cups)

Method:
Remove peel from 1 grapefruit and 1 orange; scrape excess white membrane from peel. Cut peel into thin strips. In large kettle, combine peel and 2 1/2 cups water; cook, covered, over low heat until tender, 20 minutes.

Section grapefruit and orange; chop fruit. Add with 3 cups fresh cranberries to peel; simmer 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in powdered fruit pectin. Bring to boil; stir in sugar. Bring to full rolling boil; boil hard 1 minute stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and skim foam. (I didn't do that). Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into hot sterilized jars. Seal. Boil in boiling water bath 10 minutes.

Yield: 4 pints
Posted by Gina W 11/06

Linda

o

Posted by monaw (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 1:25

doucanou, I have pears, walnuts, dried cranberries, and I'm going to try your party pear salad tomorrow night! Looks good and easy. I love greens with fruit and nuts- and I have some good aged Balsamic that I found at Tuesday Morning :)

Here is a recipe for a special occasion. One of those occasions when no one's counting calories! Just go for a nice walk afterwards. :)
Even though the list seems long, it goes together pretty quickly because you're using croissants.

It's tah die for!

Cranberry Bread Pudding with Orange Hard Sauce

Ingredients:

Pudding:
14 ounces (approximately 7 large) stale croissants, cut into 1-inch cubes and lightly toasted
1 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice or
. 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
. 3/4 teaspoons ground ginger
. 3/8 teaspoons allspice or ground cloves
. 3/8 teaspoons nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

Topping:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or
.1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
.1/4 teaspoon ginger
.1/8 teaspoon allspice or ground cloves
.1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Orange Sauce:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 2 1/2-quart (9x11 x3-inch) baking dish.
2) Arrange half of croissants pieces on bottom of prepared dish; sprinkle with cranberries, then cover with remaining croissants. Set aside.
3) Combine eggs, half-and-half, 1/2 cup brown sugar, melted butter, salt, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, orange zest and juice in a blender container; pulse until well combined. Pour mixture over cubed croissants, pressing down with back of large spoon to moisten. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
4) To make topping, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl; sprinkle on top of croissant mixture.
5) Place dish in a large roasting pan; transfer pan to middle shelf of the oven. Pour hot water into roasting pan until it comes halfway up the sides of dish. Bake until the custard is softly set, about 55 minutes.
6) While pudding bakes, prepare Orange Sauce: Combine butter, 1 cup brown sugar, flour, salt, water, zest, juice and vanilla in a heavy 2-quart saucepan; cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and looks syrupy.
7) Allow pudding to cool about 20 minutes before serving. Pass the sauce separately in a sauce boat. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

o

Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 4:44

We don't get fresh or frozen cranberries or frozen orange juice here but this looks like a good sauce from one of my diet books:

CRANBERRY & ORANGE SAUCE

1 2/3 cup (9 oz or 250 grams) fresh or frozen cranberries
1/3 cup (2 oz or 50 grams) dried cranberries
3 TBSP sugar or sugar substitute
4 TBSP fresh orange juice
2 TBSP Grand Marnier or any orange-flavoured liqueur (optional)
1 TBSP frozen orange juice concentrate
1 TBSP grated orange zest
1/2 teasp cinnamon

1. In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, dried cranberries, sugar, orange juice, Grand Marnier, orange juice concentrate,
orange zest and cinnamon. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for
10 minutes or until the cranberries burst and the sauce is thickened.

Makes about 10 oz (300 grams).

Source: Rick Gallop's GI Diet Cookbook

I have made this one and it's a good biscotti:

Cranberry-Almond Biscotti

Makes about 20.

Ingredients:

Juice and zest of 1 orange - (my orange yielded 1/2 cup of juice)
1 TBSP Amaretto liqueur - ( I used 1 teasp almond extract)
1/2 cup (1 x 75 gram pack) dried cranberries
1 3/4 cups (250 grams) (9oz) wholewheat flour
1/2 cup (8 TBSP) sugar substitute (I use granulated fructose)
1 teasp cinnamon
1/2 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/4 teasp ground nutmeg
1 large egg
1 egg white
1/3 cup (50 grams) (2 oz) toasted almonds, chopped

1. Heat the orange juice, Amaretto and cranberries in a small saucepan just until hot.
Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
Drain and reserve the juice.

2. Preheat the oven to 350F (177C) (Gas 4) and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.

3. Mix together in a large bowl the flour, sugar substitute, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, orange zest and 2 TBSP of the reserved juice.
Stir this into the dry mixture until combined, adding more juice if necessary to make the dough moist.
Stir in the almonds and cranberries.

5. With lightly floured hands, shape into a 16 inch (40 cm) log, then flatten slightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm.
Slide log onto a cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes while you reduce the oven to 320F (160C) (Gas 2).

6. Cut the log diagonally into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick slices.
Place on the baking sheet, leaving a 1 inch (2 - 3 cm) space between each slice. (I didn't have room to do that...mine were touching.)
Bake until golden brown and crunchy, about 25 minutes.
Allow to cool on the rack.

The Biscotti can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week or wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.

Source: Rick Gallop's GI Diet Greenlight Cookbook

SharonCb

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 6:31

Some more of my Cranberry favorites.....

Crustless Cranberry Pie

1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Fresh Whole Cranberries
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
2 Eggs Beaten
1 Teaspoon Almond Extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 inch pie pan....(I used Pam)

Combine flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in cranberries and walnuts and toss to coat.

Stir in melted butter, beaten eggs, and almond extract. Spread the batter into prepared pie pan.

Bake 40 minutes or till toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

Autumn Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup cranberries
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar or Honey
1 tablespoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
1 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
10 cups mixed salad greens, rinsed and dried
2 Anjou Pears, cored and thinly sliced

Toast the walnuts for 8 to 10 minutes in a 350F oven, or until lightly toasted.

In a food processor, combine the cranberries, vinegar, onion, syrup, and mustard. Puree until smooth; gradually add oil, and season with salt and pepper.

In a salad bowl, toss together the greens, pears, and enough of the cranberry mixture to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts, and serve.

Note: Also great with crumbled Gorgonzola

Cranberry Walnut Blue Cheese Logs
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
4 " 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
4 â" 6 ounces dried cranberries
Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 3/4 cups finely chopped toasted walnuts - divided use
1 1/4 cups finely chopped fresh parsley - divided use
Assorted crackers, and vegetable crudités for accompaniment
1. Place the cheeses in a food processor and process until well combined. Taste mixture and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
2. Combine the cheese mixture with 1 cup of the walnuts, the cranberries and 1/2 cup of the parsley. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
3. Shape cheese mixture into 4 (6-inch-long) logs.
4. Mix together remaining 3/4 cup walnuts and 3/4 cup parsley on a piece plastic wrap, waxed or parchment paper. Roll logs in nut mixture; wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with an assortment of crackers.
Makes 48 servingns or 4 (6-inch) logs.

New England Biscuits with Cranberries and Rosemary

2 cups flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Place the mixture in a large bowl. Stir in the cranberries, rosemary and buttermilk. Mix well. The dough will be sticky. Transfer to a floured work surface. Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough 10 times or until smooth. Pat into a round about ½ inch thick. Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter or drinking glass, cut out biscuits and place on the prepared pan. Gather the scraps and repeat until all the dough is used. Brush the biscuit tops with the beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly.

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 7:40

Here's an easy one I found on the Food Network website a while back:

CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

3 sticks butter, divided (12 oz. total)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup cranberry juice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups fresh or quick frozen cranberries
8 oz. butter
1 cup milk
1 egg
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 400° F.
Melt the 1 stick of butter in a nonstick, ovenproof 9-inch skillet. Add the brown sugar, juice and spices and stir until sugar dissolves and liquid is bubbly. Chill mixture, add the cranberries, and set aside.
In a small pan, melt 2 sticks of butter. Remove from the heat and add the milk and egg. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the milk mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture over the cranberries in the skillet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cake cool in pan for about 15 minutes then turn out onto plate (fruit will be on top and juice will be dripping down) and serve slices with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.

Recipe courtesy Tanya Holland.

o

Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 7:58

Oooo, lots of recipes for teatime treats.

A few years ago, Glenda posted a recipe for coleslaw with cranberries that she had on a trip to Alaska. It's become a "must have" side dish with venison or pheasant at our house.

CRANBERRY COLESLAW
5 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon honey mustard
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper

Combine cabbage, almonds, cranberries, celery, green onions, and green pepper in a large bowl .

Combine all dressing ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Pour dressing over slaw just before serving. Stir well.

o

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 8:32

My favorite lemon bread recipe is really good with 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries mixed in! You can also add 1/2 to 1 cup finely chopped pecans if you want nuts too.

Lemon Bread
makes 1 large or 4 mini loaves

1/4cup softened butter
3/4cup sugar
2 eggs
grated zest of one lemon
2 cups flour
1 1/2t. baking powder
1/2t. salt
3/4cup milk

Preheat oven to 350F.
Cream butter and sugar well in a bowl. Add in eggs and mix well after each. Add in zest, stir well. Combine dry ingredients then mix in alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Pour into one large or 4 mini greased loaf pans. Bake at 350F for 45 min. for large or 30-35 minutes for mini loaves. Top with glaze.

Glaze:
juice of one lemon
1/4cup sugar

Heat to boiling in small saucepan; pour over loaves in pans; cool loaves in pan, then remove.

o

Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 10:53

This thread jogged my memory for a recipe I haven't made for a while.

CRANBERRY-ORANGE SQUARES

FILLING:

3 oranges, unpeeled and cut in small pieces
3 cups fresh cranberries
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 Tbs. cornstarch
Dash of salt
1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

DOUGH:

3 1/4 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs. grated lemon rind
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup butter, softened
3 egg yolks
1 to 2 Tbs. water

Make the filling first. You can make it a day ahead but donât add the nuts until you are ready to bake it.

Force the oranges and cranberries through a food chopper, using medium blade. In saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and ginger; add fruit mixture. Bring to boil and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly about 15 minutes, or until thickened. Cool, then chill. Stir in nuts when ready to bake.

Make dough. Mix flour, sugar and rind in large bowl. Cut in butter and vanilla; mix in egg yolks one at a time, then just enough water to hold mixture together. Shape into a ball, wrap in waxed paper and chill for a half hour.

Press two-thirds of dough on bottom of 13" X 9" baking pan. Spread filling over dough to within 1/2" of edges. Crumble remaining dough over filling. Bake in preheated hot oven (425) for about 20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares. Makes about 30.

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 11:26

We had cranberry juice and limoncello at Peppi's last week, it was not bad...

I was astounded to find that there were fresh cranberries in my local small town grocery store last week for 99 cents a bag, so I bought two bags, I'm going to make some more of Gina's marmalade!

And speaking of Gina, where the heck IS she? I miss her.

Annie

o

Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 14:15

After this thread began, I started scouring the Internet for cranberry information, checking out a couple of ideas I had. Time and again, recipes I found called for 12 oz. bags of frozen cranberries. I haven't been to the store yet but I reason they must be widely available. I hope so.

Jim

o

Posted by malna (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 14:48

This past Thanksgiving, I made Cranberry Chutney. It's wonderful with turkey, chicken, pork and as an accompaniment to a cheese plate. I canned quite a bit while cranberries were cheap and plentiful.

The original inspiration came from KatieC's recipe, but I changed it up a little bit.

Cranberry Chutney

1 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup dried cranberries
I soaked the dried cranberries in the vinegar and orange juice while I chopped the apple, celery and onion.

1 cup Granny Smith apples, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped
1-12 oz. bag fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ginger (I used grated ginger I found in the freezer)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally.

To can, process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. I got 4 half-pint jars.

Since DH thought it was too sweet, I came up with a savory version, too:

I substituted Balti Seasoning (a spicy curry powder) from Penzeyâs for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves, then added mustard seeds, celery seeds and pepper for a (somewhat) more traditional chutney flavor.

Curried Cranberry Chutney:

1 cup apples, peeled and chopped (I used Granny Smiths)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup sweet onions, chopped
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar, 5% acidity
3/4 cup celery, chopped
3/4 cup orange juice
Zest from 1 orange
1 12-oz bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
2 teaspoons Balti Seasoning
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (I used fresh ground white pepper but black pepper would work, too)
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds (not prepared mustard from a jar)

Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 25 â" 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally.

Fill half pint jars, leaving 1/2â³ headspace. Apply lids and rings. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

After tasting a couple of months later, I'd cut back the Balti slightly (to maybe 1-1/2 teaspoons?) - it definitely got stronger. Still good, but a bit too much. Oh well, live and learn :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Putting Up Cranberry Chutney (My Blog Post)
o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 9:01

I'm having and english muffin with cranberry conserve on it for breakfast. That's the reason my whole cranberries are languishing in the freezer, I'm been trying to use of the conserve, which is over a year old. It's good though, but was even better when it was fresher. I might have to pull out my trusty "jam cake" recipe to get rid of some of it.

Cranberry Conserve (from the Ball Blue Book of Canning)
3/4 cup seeded and chopped orange (about 1 med.)
2 cups water
1 quart stemmed cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts

Combine orange and water in a large sauce pot. Cook rapidly until peel is tender, about 20 min. Add cranberries, raisins and sugar. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook rapidly almost to jellying point, about 8 min. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Add nuts the last 5 min. of cooking. Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Porcess 15 min. in boiling water bath. Yield: about 4 half pints (I think I got 5)

Lpink's Jam Cake (taken from a recipe for a larger cake, but single me halved it)

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs and 1 egg white
1 cup + 1/2 TBLSP unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or use all white)
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sour cream or buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup diced walnuts
1/2 cup jam (blackberry is good, but I'm going to try it with cranberry conserve, which already has nuts so I will leave those out. The conserve isn't as runny as the jam so I'll probably mix it with applesauce.)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease well a 9 inch square cake pan.

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream and baking soda. Add to butter mixture. Mix in spices, salt, craisins and jam. Fold in flour and walnuts until just well mixed.

Pour batter into pan and spread around evenly with a spatula.

Top with struesel topping mix: 1/4 cup softened butter, 1/4 cup instant oatmeal, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1 TBLSP whole wheat flour. Mix these ingredients together until the mixture is like coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle evenly over cake.

Bake for 35 - 40 min. Check after 35. Is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Watch closely to prevent burning at the end.

Cranberry Squash (from Moosewood Restaurant Lowfat Favorites)

3 winter squash, such as acorn, buttercup, butternut or delicata
2 cups mined onions
1 cup minced celery
1 tsp. canola or other veg. oil
3 cups fresh or 12 oz. frozen cranberries
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp. freshly grated orange peel
juice of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or 1/2 cup sugar, or to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly spray a large, flat bottomed baking pan. Slice each squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place the squash, cut side down in the baking pan, add water about 1/2 inch, cover with foil and bake for 30 min.

Meanwhile, in a covered, non-reactive saucepan on med. heat, saute the onions, celery in the oil, stirring often, for 10 min or until softened. Add the cranberries and salt, lower the heat, and simmer until the cranberries have popped, about 10 min. Remove from the heat, and stir in the applesauce, orange peel, orange juice and maple syrup. The filling should be tart--adjust with enough maple syrup to offset the cranberries sourness.

Remove the squash from the oven and turn the halves over in the pan. Fill each cavity with a rounded 1/2 cup of filling. Bake, uncovered, another 30-45 min, until well done.

Serve with cabbage or mushroom dishes, or beans and cornbread.

Cranberry Cherry Crumble (from Cooking Light)

Prehat overn to 375 degrees. Serves 8

3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
3 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark cherries (use the dark ones, NOT pie cherries)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dried cherries (could use raisins in a pinch)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 TBLSP all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch.

Combine ingredients, put into an 8 inch greased pan. Put crumble topping on top.

Crumble topping
1/4 cup slivered almponds
1/4 cup regular oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. almond extract (can leave out without serious negative consequences)
2 TBLSP butter, chilled, and cut into mixture until well distributed.

Bake at 375 for 45 min. DO NOT underbake.

Winter fruit Pie

Filling
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup orange juice
2 TBLSP margarine or butter
1.5 - 3 tsp. grated orange peel
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg
1/8 tsp. allspice
1 egg, well beaten
1/4 cup crushed soda crackers (or grahmn crackers)
1 TBLSP butter, melted
1 TBLSP sugar
Whipped cream for topping if desired

Heat oven to 425. Prepare a two crust piecrust. (Which in my case means defrosting the frozen Pillsbury one)

In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, raisins, and water. cook over med. high heat until the mixture boils, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 min or until cranberries pop. REmove from heat. Sir in orange juice, 2 TBLSP marg. or butter, orange peel, 1 cup sugar, walnuts, spices. Add egg and cracker crumbs, beat well. Pour into pie crust lined pie pan. Tip with second crust. Seal and flute. Cut slits in crust in spoke fashion, brush with 1 TBLSP melted butter and sprinkle with 1 TBLSP sanding sugar or raw sugar. Bake at 425 for 10 min. Then reduce the oven temp. to 375 an bake and additional 20-30 min. until crust is golden brown. Serve warm or cool with whipped cream or ice cream. 8-10 servings.

Cran-apple Muffin cake (from the back of a Land o' Lakes butter box)

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
1 TBLSP baking powder
1 cup apple peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (about 1 med.)
1/2 cup butter, melted (you could use veg. oil, g-d forbid!)
3/4 cup milk (I used a dash of oj in the liquid)
1 egg or 2 egg whites (egg whites makes less fat)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. apple pie or pumpkin pie spice or other baking spice mix (LR's suggestion, could also just use cinn and a touch of nutmeg)
1/8 tsp. salt

Glaze: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2-3 tsp. milk

Heat overn to 400. Grease and flour a 9 inch round cake pan (or a 8 inch square one).
In a large bowl, combine dry ing. and nuts. In another bowl, combine apple and wet ing. Mix wet ing. into dry ing. until just moistened, fold in cranberries. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean and cake is dark golden brown. Let stand 10 min, remove from pan (or not) and spread glaze over the warm cake. Can poke holes in the cake with toothpick to allow glaze to sink in further.

Below is a link to a yummy Ellie Krieger recipe. My notes say "Double the filling, make fewer turnovers. Cut the dough into 3 pieces, not 4. Use some maple syrup in the filling. Sprinkle sanding sugar on top of turnovers after brushing with oil, before baking." They are best warm right out of the oven, as phyllo doesn't reheat well, although they are still good. Can also freeze before baking, but still fresh is best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Cranberry Phyllo Turnovers
o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 9:34

These all look so good. I think I might have some cranberries buried in the freezer. This will give me a good way to use them. I use dried cranberries all the time. I have some in my not-so-plain-yogurt this morning, along with some fresh strawberries and some defrosted frozen blueberries, toasted walnuts and almonds, ground flax seed and a little honey. I added some to my salad for lunch today, also.

Somewhere on a thread a while back I posted a yeast bread recipe that had pumpkin, walnuts and cranberries in it. I'll look for that recipe and try to copy it or link it over here.

BTDT, what kind of squash do you stuff with that rice, or does it matter. That sounds really good, although I'd substitute veggie broth for chicken broth.

Sally

o

Posted by beanthere_dunthat (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 17:52

Sally, Usually acorn squash, but you could use your favorite. I just choose acorn because they are small and I'm usually cooking for only one or two people. The one time I tried it with vegetable broth, I think the broth was too oniony for the fruit. I had better luck with a mushroom stock.

o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 19:10

Okay, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have thought of mushroom stock.

I found the bread recipe I posted on the Walnut cook-a-long thread. Here it is.

From the book, "Baking With Julia" by Dorie Greenspan. The contributing baker was Steve Sullivan. (I guess that means it's his recipe.)

Cranberry-Walnut Pumpkin Loaves

Makes 3 small loaves

2 2/3 to 3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons tepid water (80 degrees F to 90 degrees F)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
8 ounces (1 cup) pureed cooked pumpkin or butternut squash, fresh or canned solid packed (see Note)
1 large egg, at room temperature
3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
1 cup plump golden or dark raisins
2/3 cup cranberries (if frozen, thaw and pat dry)

Mixing and Kneading: Whisk 2 2/3 cups of the flour, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl just to mix; set aside until needed.

Pour the water into a small bols, sprinkle in the yeast, and whisk to blend. Allow the yeast to rest until it's creamy, about 5 minutes.

In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until creamy. Add the pumpkin and egg and beat until blended. Don't be concerned if the mixture looks curdled; it will come together when you add the dry ingredients.

Set the mixer speed to low and add the yeast, then begin to add the dry ingredients, about 1/2 cup at a time. As soon as the mixture starts to form a dough that comes together, scrape the addle clean and switch to the dough hook. If your dough does not come together (it might be because your pumpkin puree was liquidy), add a few more tablespoons of flour.

Mix and knead the dough on medium-low speed for 10 to 15 minutes, scraping the sides of th bowl and the hook now and then with a rubber spatula. At the start, the mixture will look more like a batter than a dough, but as you continue to work, it will develop into a soft, very sticky dough that will just ball up on the hook. (This dough develops much the way brioche does.)

With the machine on low speed, add the walnuts and raisins, mixing only until incorporated, about 1 minute. Add the cranberries and mix as little as possible to avoid crushing them. (Inevitably, some cranberries will pop and stain a atch of dough red, think of this as charming, and proceed.)

First Rise: Scrape the dough into a lightly buttered large bowl, cover tightly with lastic wrap, and set aside at room temperature to rise until nearly doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.

Chilling the dough: When the dough has doubled, fold it over on itself a couple of times to deflate it, wrap it tightly in plastic, and refrigerate overnight.

Shaping the dough: At least 6 hours before you want to begin baking, remove the dough from the refrigerator. Leave the dough, covered in its bowl, until it reaches at least 64 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. (This will take as long as 3 to 4 hours - don't rush it.) If you don't have an instant read thermometer, look for the dough to be slightly cool and just a little spongy.
Lightly butter three 5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 inch loaf pans.
Working on a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into thirds and pat each piece of dough into a 5 x 7 inch rectangle; keep a short end facing you. Starting at the top of each rectangle, roll up the dough toward you and seal the seam by pressing it with your fingertips. Seal the ends, then lace each roll, seam side down, in a prepared pan.

Second rise: Cover the pans lightly with a kitchen towel and allow to rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the dough has nearly doubled - it will rise to just above the rim of the pans.

Baking the Bread: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the loaves for about 35 minutes, or until deeply golden. Remove the pans to a cooling rack; after a 5-minute rest, turn the breads out of their pans and allow them to cool to room temperature on the rack.

Storing: The breads can be ket at room temperature for a day or two or frozen, wrapped airtight, for up to 1 month. Thaw, still wrapped, at room temperature.

Note: To use fresh pumpkin or butternut squash, split the squash, remove the seeds, and place, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Roast in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 1 hour, or until meltingly tender. Scoop the softened pulp out of the shell and cool completely. One pound of squash yields about 12 once of cooked pulp.

Dorie Greenspan does give detailed instructions, doesn't she!

By the way, I had fun going back through the previous cookalongs, getting reminded of things that looked good at the time that I want to try. My only problem is the list keeps getting longer! lol. Anyway, if y'all haven't gone back to review the old cookalongs, I recommend doing so.

Sally

o

Posted by aliceinmd (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 22:12

It appears to be time for a main dish that features cranberries. If you can't find frozen cranberries now, put this recipe away for next fall. It is really very tasty.

CRANBERRY ROAST OF PORK

1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup finely chopped onion
½ cup dry red wine + ½ cup dry red wine

4 pound loin of pork, either with bones or boneless
Salt
Pepper
½ teaspoon dried thyme

1 cup canned beef bouillon
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine berries, sugar, and water; boil, cook for 5 minutes until berries pop & mixture is thick. Add onion and first ½ cup wine.

Rub pork with salt, pepper, thyme. Place bone side down in roasting pan just large enough to hold the roast and juices that will develop.
Spread cranberry mixture over roast.
Roast 2-1/2 hours or about 40 minutes per pound or to internal temperature of 170 degrees.

Combine remaining ½ cup of wine with beef bouillon and baste meat frequently with this and pan juices. If you need more, mix 1 part wine with 2 parts bouillon. Donât let pan juices scorch. (The onions will scorch a bit, even with basting, but they still taste good.)

When roast is done, transfer to board for carving.
To thicken pan juices if desired: Measure pan juices. For each cup of pan juice, mix 1 Tablespoon cornstarch with enough cold water to make a paste, then combine with the cooking liquid and cook until thick. Spread some sauce over carved meat and pass rest at the table. Serves 6.

From Americana Magazine in November 1976.

My notes:
We prefer using a boneless roast; why waste a good sauce on bones?
We serve this with noodles to take advantage of the sauce.
The onions will scorch a bit, even with basting, but they are delicious!
We always use the full can of bouillon to make the basting liquid (l part wine with 2 parts bouillon). Be sure to use all of that mixture for basting, and mixing with the cranberry flavor, so you have plenty of sauce.

o

Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 23:08

"It appears to be time for a main dish that features cranberries."

Absolutely! And your recipe is a perfect example.

I would not have thought of one like it, even though I know that fruity flavors work well with pork.

I like the added notes. They will be a great help.

Jim

o

Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 14:52

Even though the recipe calls them cookies, these have a very dry consistency and are more like what used to be called English tea biscuits. They can be made with either dried cranberries or cherries.

CORNMEAL-CHERRY COOKIES â" makes about 32

1 cup flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 tsp. grated orange zest
1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries, finely chopped

In a medium bowl, whish together flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (I sometimes use a wire pastry mixer and beat them by hand instead of machine.) Beat in vanilla, egg and orange zest. With mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients; beat just until combined. Fold in fruit.

Transfer dough to a piece of lightly floured parchment or waxed paper. Using the paper so the dough doesnât stick to your fingers, pat into a loaf, 8" long and 2" wide. Wrap in parchment or waxed paper; flatten the top and sides with your hands. Twist ends of parchment to seal. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Cut dough crosswise into 1/4" thick slices, turning loaf over 1/4 turn after each slice. (If you use a very sharp thin-bladed knife, you don't have to bother with turning the loaf.) Place on baking sheets, 1/2 inch apart. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are firm to the touch, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Photobucket

o

Posted by gwtamara (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 16:04

This has become our favorite Christmas treat. Given the length of the instructions, it actually goes together pretty quickly and is mostly foolproof. Note: I don't bother with the fussiness of the foil liner -- they come out just fine from a lightly-greased pan.

Cranberry Streusel Shortbread Bars
Fine Cooking Magazine

For the crust and streusel:
10-1/2 oz. (1 cup plus 5 Tbs.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to just warm
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. table salt
2 large egg yolks
14-1/4 oz. (3 cups plus 3 Tbs.) unbleached all-purpose flour

For the cranberry topping:
12-oz. bag fresh or frozen cranberries, picked over, rinsed, and drained
1 cup granulated sugar

Make the crust:
Line a straight-sided 13x9-inch metal baking pan with foil, letting the ends create an overhanging edge for easy removal. In a medium bowl, stir together the butter, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the salt. Whisk in the egg yolks. Stir in the flour to make a stiff dough. Transfer about 2 cups of the dough to the prepared pan, and press the mixture evenly into the bottom. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Refrigerate the pan for 30 minutes (or freeze for 5 to 7 minutes), until the dough is firm.

Meanwhile, position a rack near the center of the oven and another near the top. Heat the oven to 325°F.

Bake the dough until the crust begins to set but does not brown at all on the edges (the center will not be firm yet), about 20 minutes. While the crust bakes, prepare the streusel and the topping.

Make the streusel:
With your fingers, combine the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar with the reserved dough until crumbly. The mixture should hold together when pressed, but readily break into smaller pieces.

Make the cranberry topping:
In a medium saucepan, bring the cranberries, sugar, and 1/4 cup water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium high and continue to boil until the liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool 5 to 10 minutesâ"the syrup will continue to thicken as the mixture cools.

Spread the cranberry mixture evenly over the hot crust. Scatter the streusel over the cranberries (donât crumble the streusel too much or the texture will be sandy). Increase the oven temperature to 350°F and bake the bars near the top of the oven until the streusel is golden and set, about 25 minutes. (Baking these bars at the top of the oven helps the streusel brown faster without overbrowning the crust.)

Place the pan on a metal rack to cool until the crust is completely firm, at least 1 hour. (For faster cooling, put the bars in the fridge once the pan is no longer piping hot, or even outside in winter.)

When the bottom of the pan is cool, carefully lift the bars from the pan using the foil sides and transfer them to a cutting board. Separate the foil from the bars by sliding a spatula between them. Cut the bars into 1-3/4-inch squares.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Streusel Shortbread Bars
o

Posted by sally_grower (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 17:59

This is a really good copy cat recipe of Kroger's Cranberry Celebration

Cranberry Salad

2 small pkgs. Raspberry jello
2 cups water (boiling)
1-pint ground cranberries (1 bag)
1 cup finely chopped apples
1 ½ cups sugar
1 small can crushed pineapple
1 cup chopped nuts
½ cup maraschino cherries (optional)

Dissolve jello in boiling water. Add remaining ingredients. Set in refrigerator until set.

o

Posted by tropicals9b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 20:55

I used a large can of mandarin oranges, and used the juice for a portion of the water. Then I just chopped them. I used Sunmaid Fruit Bits (apricots, raisins, cherries, apples, peaches, plums) and Craisins for the dried fruit and a fresh granny smith apple. And canned pears. And I only used 1 cup of sugar even though I doubled everything else.

CRANBERRY SAUCE EXTRAORDINAIRE

Ingredients
⢠1 cup granulated sugar
⢠1 cup water
⢠1 (12 ounce) package ocean spray cranberries
⢠1 orange, peeled and pureed (plus I like some zest)
⢠1 apple, peeled and diced
⢠1 pear, peeled and diced
⢠1 cup dried mixed fruit
⢠1 cup pecans, chopped
⢠1/2 teaspoon salt
⢠1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
⢠1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

Boil the water and sugar in a medium saucepan until dissolved.

Reduce heat.

Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before serving or storing.

Comment (1)

Sponsored