SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Other Upside Down Cakes

nancyofnc
12 years ago

Spring is coming so I am looking for upside down cake parts for the fruit. Cranberry or Apple seem too wintery. Suggestions?

I make a really good upside down cake with homemade Bisquick mix (Betty Crocker's upside down recipe that calls for real Bisquick). I've used peaches and pecans instead of pineapple a couple times (never maraschino cherries - Craisins are healthier) and 'twas wonderful too. Thinking of branching out so I tried a Dutch cocoa and walnut cake that was not so tasty (brown sugar burnt before the cake itself was solid). Saw one with bananas and stove top caramel that I might try but scary when noted that bananas had to be ripe or they would be dry - what is definition of ripe - mine means brown spots so would that be too wet?

Homemade Bisquick Mix (multiple locations on the web)

Use this mix in any Bisquick recipe

9 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (freshest you can get)

1/3 cup aluminum-free baking powder (freshest you can get)

2 cups dry powdered milk (crumble to dust if flaky)

1/3 cup white sugar

1 Tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 cups shortening (butter-flavored Crisco I prefer)

Use KitchenAid mixer, hand mixer, pastry cutter, or two forks to work in shortening (I use my clean hands) but don't overdo it. You can store this mix in plastic, double-bagged, on a pantry shelf for up to about 3 months (a single bags breathes) You can use half whole-wheat flour for more nutrition but I don't like that taste in cakes, however it makes a great "Impossible Quiche" with any kind of veggie, and of course, ultra quick pancakes.

Nancy

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!