SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Oh my gosh, I finally got a pressure canner... now what?

beesneeds
5 years ago

So today at a local Meijer, there were four of them on clearance for 25 bucks, and with an extra 10% off, I got an extra 2.50 off that. It’s a Granite-Ware 20 quart. Fits 7qt/8pt.

So now what? I already know I can’t do squashpumpkin.... Learned that one several years ago when I got myself set up for WB good after recieving a lot of squash and did research.. and ended up making dehydrated squash flour instead, lol. Excellent stuff.

Anywho, typical tinned veggies on the shelf are potatoes, peas, green beans, corn, beets, greens, sometimes mixed veggies, hot peppers. If I can can my own homemade stocks instead of using the freezer that would be nice.

I can can dry beans, yes? And are they good texture-wise like tinned dry beans? I do make dry beans from scratch sometimes, but sooo love the ease of tinned ones.

And sizing down question... often I wish I had a half can od something... is is possible to use half pints?

I do already use NCHFP. And got my Ball book handy. But I also know there’s folks around here that use a pressure canner regular and could perhaps toss some tips, advice, and recipes.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (6)