SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_249048672

Husbands relationship with his ex step son

HU-249048672
5 years ago

I’m new to these kind of things, but I’m struggling and figured I might get some good advice.

So I’ve been with my husband for a year and a half now. I have a 3 year old daughter, he has a 6 year old daughter, and an 8 year old ex step son from a previous marriage Of nearly 5 years.

I also have an ex step daughter who is 6.

At the beginning of our relationship, he was still seeing his ex step son when he would get his daughter on the weekends.

Ex step son started acting rude, demanding and otherwise pretty hard to be around. It was obvious he didn’t respect my husband at all. (His mother is VERY childish, likes to tell both of the kids made up stories about me and my husband)

so I know most of this has a lot to do with her behavior. BUT.. his behavior got so bad that eventually my husband decided that if ex step son didn’t want to actually spend time with us, then there was no reason for him to continue coming over on weekends.

My husbands mother is completely against this idea. And forcefully tries to bring the ex step son around us any chance she gets. And will get mad at my husband if he doesnt agree with what she’s doing. So shes Making this extremely difficult. But my husband is an only child, who is very much a mommas boy so I know she’s making him feel guilty.

I have a pretty healthy relationship with his biological daughter, despite the obvious parenting differences that her mother has with me. She comes over every other weekend and the dynamic is usually pretty good. But I have no relationship with his ex step son and neither does he At this point. And I really don’t think the ex step son cares at all, but my husbands mother is forcing him. (Ex: we moved recently and went to buy a couch set and she was Supposed to pick up my husbands daughter, but showed up with her AND ex step son, they then came over to our apartment and she asked ex step son if he wanted to stay over Night with us ??? didn’t even see if we were ok with it or not, obviously we weren’t so my husband said no, and of course his mother threw a fit.)

And the relationship I have with my ex step daughter is pretty much just buying her gifts on her birthday and holidays and saying hi to her when I see her. Which is how I feel like it should be? And I feel like that’s the relationship that would work best with him and his ex step son too.

I’m not crazy for thinking that right?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert