SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irissto

Scary bird feeder experience. Did this ever happen to you?

Went out late afternoon yesterday with my daughter. Noticed a housefinch frantically flapping his wings at the feeder. Looking closer, he had his head stuck! I grabbed him to hold him still since I was afraid he would break his neck. Didn’t want to pull since I was afraid I would break his neck.

Luckily my daughter was there (just this week from New York) and more luck that this perch was screwed in and not glued. My daughter ran to get a screwdriver. Unscrewed it while I held the bird and feeder part steady. Once we got it out, we were able to guide the head out of it. The bird didn’t seem to be hurt and flew right off. As far as I know this has not happened before, but of course they could have been able to free themselves. As long as the feeders are full, it can’t happen, but even though I fill them up in the morning, they might be down to the highest perches by dinner time. I am worried and thinking about replacing them. I have platform feeders, but it seems the finches prefer the finch kind of feeders. Also is the most convenient for this kind of food. Did you ever have something like this happen? picture of part the bird was stuck in (the food was lower, but now I am paranoid)

Comments (14)