SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_miller9150804

Door handles on a colonial era house with a new addition

K. G.
5 years ago

I hope you've had your coffee for this one.

We've got. house that was built in the 1700s. It was added on to over a couple of different eras and we are putting on a larger addition that will contain the new kitchen and master suite. We've got a variety of hardware ranging from round antique brass door handles on the older parts of the house (colonial and 1930-1940), and black hardware on the colonial doors for the locks and L-shaped hinges and hardware. A newer addition (2000s) has shiny brass hardware on French doors and windows. It's a mess. I think replacing the antiqued brass round knobs with black to match the locks on the doors would be more appropriate for the colonial and 1930s-40s older parts of the house. I won't change the shiny brass on the French doors in the newest addition(2000s) because it's just so expensive. What would you recommend for the current addition we're putting on? I hate shiny brass and I don't like the idea of round doorknobs on the new part of the house - especially the black that I think would look better for the colonial part. The hardware in the bathrooms and kitchen will be stainless steel or brushed nickel. Our style is transitional. How bad would it be if I put the levered handles on the newer parts of the house and kept round for the older part? Should I go with black or antique brass? Or brushed nickel? Can I put levered handles on the colonial part?

Comments (8)