SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

Need Ideas for Colonial House Front beds -(see photos)

ravmd
17 years ago

This is my first posting and am hoping to find some help in planting our front beds. We just re-sided/painted front of house&entrance. We pulled out several very mature holly and Yews and are left with a boxwood? on each side of the front entrance. There are some iris's in the right bed as well as peonies and I think some daylillies.

In the photos there are 2 small tea rose shrubs in buckets that can be planted here or moved to backyard. There are 2 additional beds-1 in front of the walkway and one in the middle of the yard that we will likely just put grass seed over . I can move some of these perennials (black eyed susans, iris, blackberry lilly, daylillies) either in the front beds or in the backyard but the beds were out of control so I am starting over. I think we are looking for primarily shrubs against the house with a few flowers to add color but not a "perennial bed".

I am fairly new to gardening but may be interested in viburnum, pieris japonica (but we get full sun in the front),additional boxwood , barberry. And possibly a small tree(dogwood, japanese maple) etc.on the right side in front of the walkway. Any suggestions for getting started particularly on shrub selection would be so helpful!!

Photos start on the right of the house and then show the left:

{{gwi:48719}}

{{gwi:48721}}

{{gwi:48723}}

{{gwi:48726}}

{{gwi:48724}}

{{gwi:48725}}

Comments (18)