SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Making choices and factoring in the era of your home

AMS
6 years ago

Hello all,

I just bought a small 1.5 story house, built in 1948. I am planning to re-do the kitchen and get a new bathroom vanity in the next 6 months, and I'd like my choices to be cohesive, practical, and give a nod to the era of the house. I appreciate good design, but am not good at it. Before anyone shouts it, I will seek professional help, but I'd like to actually figure out if what I like and what makes sense jive... it's like when I go to buy a new lipstick and the sales person asks "what color do you want?" and I reply, "but what color would look good on me?" For the record, I like simple furniture (like Room & Board) and cheerful area rugs and colorful/striking artwork, and MCM decor (such as it is) really appeals. However, my house is a not a vast 1960 ranch...

So, before I embark on making decisions left and right, I'd appreciate anyone's insights on how to make coherent choices.

For example, the current kitchen is a 9x9 galley, flat front white painted cabinets with laminate counters and backsplash (with gray and pink boomerangs!). I like white kitchens and am inclined to stick with white, but would it be sacrilege to do shaker cabinets? Would my personal favorite - rift sawn white oak veneered flat front - be allowed in theory (even if not likely due to budget)? Then I start to think about backsplash, and I'm reminded that the fireplace hearth is a brown/tan/rust mosaic, the fireplace surround is red brick, the living room has coved ceilings, the floors are 1.5" oak, and the bathroom floors are pink mosaic (which I will keep!).

I guess I'm just looking for perspective on what to decide first, and how to choose a guiding principle for future decisions (if it's not too much to ask - ha!).

Thanks for your thoughts! Some photos below...

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio