SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_7b

I Pruned My Fruit Tree Very Low, Did I Make a Mistake?

Jeff
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Not really a citrus question, but I feel like this groups knowledge encompasses most fruit trees. Last month I purchased a bear root Peach tree from Stark Bros, one of the last ones they had in stock. I have a small space next to my deck that I wanted to fill and I've seen a bunch of people online use a heavy pruning technique so I thought I'd give it a try.

My understanding is that by pruning the bareroot tree low at planting ( it arrived about 3 1/2 ft tall and I cut it back to 12-14 inches) the plant can focus on root growth and start the branching at a significantly lower spot to make the tree more manageable. Over the last 4 weeks I've only gotten growth below the graft line. Each time I see it I rub the growth off, but I wondering if I can do anything to encourage growth above the graft line, or if I've screwed this experiment up. I left at least 6 buds on the bud wood which o thought would be the likely start or new growth.

I'm at work right now but I'll post a picture when I get back. If anyone has any ideas or experience with this method I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments (10)