SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rathersmallbunny

Did I make a mistake buying A Shropshire Lad?

rathersmallbunny
12 years ago

I usually post in the vegetable forum, but have enjoyed reading many posts here in Antique roses, so I wonder if all of you experts can give me some advice. I wanted an Austin climbing rose for a trellis in the courtyard and after salivating over his catalogue, drove out 2 hours away and bought A Shropshire Lad (they were sold out of my first and second choices, Crown Princess Margareta and Abraham Darby).

Since it was an impulse replacement, I immediately searched this forum when I got home to see what everyone thought and it sounds like with the exception of one person (cactusjoe) no one else's ASL has worked out. Argh! Returning it is not possible given the distance, but I have very little space for roses and want to make sure that I love all the ones I have. What should I do? Should I go ahead and plant it, hoping that it will do better than expected, or give it away (it was a bit pricey for me)? Thanks so much! Btw, I live in the SF bay area and my courtyard gets a fair bit of sun as it faces SW.

Comments (42)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County