SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

These narrow kitchen stairs?

MizLizzie
5 years ago

The dh and I are looking buying at a retirement home, a modest house of modern design — built in the early 80’s and looks it. Split foyer. The layout is pretty accessible on the main floor as there is a ramp from the garage into the kitchen. We propose to turn the two bedrooms on the main floor into a medium sized master suite. Problem is these narrow stairs coming up to the kitchen from the foyer. Same sort of stairs also go from main floor up to the loft with another 2 bedrooms.

These staircases are not just dated in appearance, they are only 32 wide from drywall to drywall. We will tear the drywall bannister out from the landing up, replace the treads and put in regular white balusters and a dark walnut handrail. Our elderly cats will need a runner but I will pick the narrowest I can find. These things may make it feel visually bigger, but not much. Would these stairs be a non-starter for you? This isn’t normal, right? Yes, they may limit furniture size going up to the loft rooms, but not the main or the walkout finished basement. I will be bringing groceries up from the garage ramp.

Lastly, any better ideas for improvement? No room to widen stairs without losing critical areas of house. I cannot believe they were putting in 32” stairs at such a late date. TIA for any advice. (And pardon the white blob on the picture — done for privacy of the seller.)

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio