SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkycamper

Design Help Wanted: Long, narrow kitchen

funkycamper
9 years ago

Bumping from page 2 with only 1 response. Editing because maybe I wrote too much and bored people? PLEASE, I need some input.

We are empty-nesters, two cooks, rarely bake. Entertain regularly, small groups, casual. Larger groups, more formal dinners, 3-4x year. Knocking down two walls to create more open space. Want a flexible space with comfortable seating for guests/selves next to kitchen. Love all our views and light from large windows.

About floorplan: Some notes are actually on floorplan diagram for your info. Other info: porch into kitchen is not major entry/exit. Groceries in/garbage out via basement-to-garage, the stairs are in the hallway. No mandatory traffic through kitchen to other areas. Lots of overflow storage in basement. Extra fridge/freezer in garage.

I'm probably 50/50 on the form vs. function issue. I prefer point of use storage but I want it to look nice, too. Most lower cabinets are drawers. Counters will be 30" deep.

This is all DIY. We are very experienced with that. DH can do electrical and plumbing and we have friends in those trades who can lend help/advice as needed. Budget is frugal but would be willing to add about $2000 to current budget if someone presents an amazing idea.

Coat and broom/pantry closets will not be removed. Major roof supports.

Adding a small prep sink next to W/D which can be used for laundry chores and as an extra prep sink when needed. Also plan for that area to be a beverage center.

Really looking forward to your advice! Thanks in advance.

Below is a link to the IKEA kitchen planner where you can see the kitchen in 3D. I think the link is only good for 5 days so I will repost the link regularly to keep it accessible for your review..

Thanks again!

{{gwi:1982746}}

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA kitchen plan

This post was edited by funkycamper on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 11:19

Comments (21)